Squirely burt

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Flyfishin1
Roach
Roach

Squirely burt

Post by Flyfishin1 »

Hi folks

I have got 2 of these lures I got them 2 weeks ago, I've watched river piker video about them, and the DIY bit.. He puts weight on them but he says fishing for 12-15foot deep, I wouldnt be fishing that deep around 10ft max rivers, and shallow lakes.. Would it be worth adding weight on them? If so how much? just another question, Whats your opinion on them?
JonahJones
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Squirely burt

Post by JonahJones »

I've tried to "improve" mine via Paul's and Ade's excellent video. I thought I had it spot on, plopped it in the water next to the boat, and down it went :red:

So back to the drawing board :laughs:

I think the 15 foot figure given was a "maximum" depth to be fair. Just don't tug it that far down.
BREXIT !! Now lets get rid of the BBC

2015 Scottish (Kayak) Predator Championships - Biggest Perch 44cm
2016 Llangorse European Kayak Predator Championships - Winner
Flyfishin1
Roach
Roach

Post by Flyfishin1 »

lol it's like something I'd do! The Burt I got was a weighted version im away from home at the moment, how are they like out of the box fishing wise? How far will they go down? Cheers
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

If you're not sure, try lead coiled around the shank of the front treble before glueing anything or drilling holes.
callumlaird
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by callumlaird »

Straight out of the box they dont go very deep at all, i think the weighted one can go a couple of feet and the unweighted one pretty much stays on the surface. I dont rate them personally cus im crap at modifying them but paul and ady clean up with them in their videos. Think you just have to tinker with them a bit to get them to work good
Flyfishin1
Roach
Roach

Post by Flyfishin1 »

Cheers for the replys

Just a question what lead would need to get I amuse I could get from a diy shop? Cheers.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Get it from the church roof,
They don't need it as the sun always shines on the riotous
That Perkins !!! 😂
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Savage Gear do (or used to) lead coil, plumbers stuff if not?
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

If you want to know anything at all on burts Dave Lumb is the man . Click on his link to his site and you will find a wealth of information which is second to none :thumbs:http://www.dlst.co.uk/
Last edited by Lee7499 on Tue Jul 04 2017 06:53, edited 2 times in total.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I got a roll of flat lead on eBay from china for pennies came quite quickly too
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Flyfishin1 wrote: Mon Jul 03 2017 21:55 -
lol it's like something I'd do! The Burt I got was a weighted version im away from home at the moment, how are they like out of the box fishing wise? How far will they go down? Cheers
What are they like "out of the Box".................CRAP............lousy QC.........good lure but odds are overwhelming that you'll have to tinker.

:pirate:
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

I glue lead to the underside and it works fine, I also use car wheel balancing weights.

I have a variety of versions weighted up from floating to a medium sink. All catch!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've never used one 'out of the box' that wouldn't catch. I've even caught using other people's rejected 'useless' Squirlies! :grin:

http://www.dlst.co.uk/Writings/burts.html

http://www.dlst.co.uk/Writings/burtsanddawgs.html

Andy Tighe
Perch
Perch

Post by Andy Tighe »

JonahJones wrote: Mon Jul 03 2017 21:29 -
I've tried to "improve" mine via Paul's and Ade's excellent video. I thought I had it spot on, plopped it in the water next to the boat, and down it went :red:

I think the 15 foot figure given was a "maximum" depth to be fair. Just don't tug it that far down.
If you are going to drill them out and weight them you have to have everything attached ,hooks,split rings,trace etc the tipping point is very small ive found,plus slow sinkers catch anyway :grin: :grin:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ive found all the latest Burts have an air pocket under the base of the tail, so I reglue with Super Glue (worth doing as it can be snatched off by a short striker, as happened once).
Ive not found any difference between the sinkers and floaters, all the latest ones float (or mine have).

You can hammer any ledger weight into a thin flat sheet, use old scissors to trim it to size.
The best adhesive Ive found is the two part putty epoxy used in the construction industry.
Dont forget to attach the leader you plan to use, before attempting any balancing (a split ring between the lure and leader gets a better action)

As has been said they all catch, but some do it better than others.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 10:49 -
Ive found all the latest Burts have an air pocket under the base of the tail, so I reglue with Super Glue (worth doing as it can be snatched off by a short striker, as happened once).
Ive not found any difference between the sinkers and floaters, all the latest ones float (or mine have).

You can hammer any ledger weight into a thin flat sheet, use old scissors to trim it to size.
The best adhesive Ive found is the two part putty epoxy used in the construction industry.
Dont forget to attach the leader you plan to use, before attempting any balancing (a split ring between the lure and leader gets a better action)

As has been said they all catch, but some do it better than others.

:thumbs:
Drill a hole through at the back end and glue a cocktail stick to hold the tail.

I weigh some of mine very heavy to work the tail on the drop and using in shallow water just retrieve quicker or use a slower sinker.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Andy Tighe wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 10:09 -
If you are going to drill them out and weight them you have to have everything attached ,hooks,split rings,trace etc the tipping point is very small ive found,plus slow sinkers catch anyway :grin: :grin:
Yep, just a couple of No. 8 shot.

It's not an ordeal to sort them out once you've got it sussed, but some of them are truly awful straight out of the box. I've had several (weighted versions) that did nothing but skate sideways across the surface on their side before I gave them the drill and shot treatment.

I seal the hole on mine with a tapered plastic plug (normally a butchered plastic Avon float stem). I haven't used any glue or epoxy and have had no issues with water ingress so far. When they're firmly fitted the seal is very good, but also easily removed for later ballast adjustments if you feel the need.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

God you have changed Steve..... Converted :)

Some of the god awful ones others have binned catch me plenty. I have one that dives right every tap. I know it does it. Pike don't seem to care. Its great along tree lines.
Getting em coming in straight and being a**l about it is in the users head not the fishes. An injured or fleeing fish does not do that generally so don't dismiss erratic ones or of you do sell em to me cheap :o)

Dave article is great. Pauls like wise.

The production is poor but they sell really well so no incentive to spend on bettering it is there ???
Love the hit!
Flyfishin1
Roach
Roach

Post by Flyfishin1 »

Cheers for all the replys..
I got the Perch and fire belly version.. Id like to put in weight around the head section, How much number of shot weights will i put in? What would I then use to fill the hole from the drilling that I could open again and let's say put in another shot if you get me. I fish mainly weedy spots but In the winter I like to fish deeper rivers so I would like to change the weight in the winter time to get deeper if you understand...
Cheers.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

The only way to work out how much weight to add is trial and error. I use hot melt glue top plug the hole. It's hardens quickly and is easy to remove.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

These are my notes I made while balancing my Burts.

One single SSG/Buckshot size lead ball in the tail, and 2nd from front internal cavity.
Six closed cavities in the lure body
Tails often have an air cavity underneath.
Base colour of the plastic body is solid, white or yellow
There is no seam or join under the eyes.
Eyes are plain stick-on type and should be reglued before hard use.
Exterior paint can be scraped off with a sharp knife.
Latest Clown pattern is a stick on sheet which can be scraped off.
Waterproof marker does not soak into the basic white plastic body.
If the rattle isn't required feed 1/2 mini tube of super glue Into cavity.
I close the hole with a tiny self taping screw sealed with no nails glue.
Approx 4gms of lead balanced the lure so it sank v slowly with two Owner 2/0 BC41X, 30lb stainless rings and Chico Ti leader.
Finished lures weighed 92/3gms and sank slowly when tested in a bowl of water.

Hope this helps.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Flyfishin1
Roach
Roach

Post by Flyfishin1 »

Cheers Dave,

I have the Hot melt gun is that the type you use? I use it for repairing frogs when they get battered! I might have a electric screw driver Ill have to look though, does it matter the diameter of the screw?
Sorry for all the questions, Cheers.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 12:25 -
God you have changed Steve..... Converted :)
It's amazing what a few good results can do, Kev! :laughs:

The Sq.Burt is a permanent member of my A Team now :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Flyfishin1 wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 14:22 -
Cheers Dave,

I have the Hot melt gun is that the type you use? I use it for repairing frogs when they get battered! I might have a electric screw driver Ill have to look though, does it matter the diameter of the screw?
Sorry for all the questions, Cheers.
I just use a stick of hot melt and a cigarette lighter as I sometimes use for quick tip ring replacements on rods.
JonahJones
Barbel
Barbel

Post by JonahJones »

Andy Tighe wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 10:09 -
JonahJones wrote: Mon Jul 03 2017 21:29 -

Thanks Andy. To be fair Ade does mention in their excellent video that it's a very fine line to get that slow rise (almost neutral buoyancy), and the difference could be as little as one split shot :eek:

sebshelton
Chub
Chub

Post by sebshelton »

I have used screw in weights from a kit that Rollie & Hellens used to sell ( the ones used on "custom weighted" Reef Hawgs). That way you can quickly adapt one lure to have different rise or sink rates & lessen the possibility of fcuking it up (or not getting what you hoped for) by adding weights internally.
It's worth knowing that there have been at least 2 types of plastic used over the years. Earlier ones (with paper eyes) used a denser plastic so will respond differently to the same amount of added weight as the more recent ones. I think they're more consistent in their construction in recent times but besides "weighted" & "unweighted" I've seen a fair number that fall somewhere "in between". :laughs:
JonahJones
Barbel
Barbel

Post by JonahJones »

davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 08:34 -
I've never used one 'out of the box' that wouldn't catch. I've even caught using other people's rejected 'useless' Squirlies! :grin:

Thanks Dave.

I enjoyed reading those again :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

JonahJones wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 17:51 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 04 2017 08:34 -

Thanks Dave.

I enjoyed reading those again :thumbs:
I was surprised how long ago they were written. :madmick:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

From a thread many moons ago... check the quote for a photo showing the cavities.
andrew_nagel wrote: Fri Jan 13 2012 03:26 -

Here's a photo of a couple of unpainted Burts I have weighted. You can clearly see the internal dividing wall between the front cavity, and the cavity behind the front hook hanger. They are separate.

Keep away from the rear most cavity is something I learned as the lures just tend to roll over with any significant weight at that point. All my own self-weighted versions deal with the first 2 cavities.
I use air-gun stainless BB shot to weight mine. If you are getting air pockets trapped behind the tail as you push it in, just insert a large bore syringe needle down the side of the recess and tis lets the trapped air out.
Captain Ahab
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Captain Ahab »

Line through golden trout, never caught so many pike!