Silver spoons

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Landy17
Stickleback
Stickleback

Silver spoons

Post by Landy17 »

Hi. Bit of a silly question but thought I'd ask those in the know. I'm after a plain silver spoon about 10_20grams but it must be really bright. Sounds silly but most silver spoons I use seem to be fairly dull and not that shiny. Any suggestions of makes and where to find them would be great. Thanks.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Re: Silver spoons

Post by andrew_nagel »

Chico's Lures had some silver Lucky Strikes. They catch well too.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

andrew_nagel wrote: Wed Oct 18 2017 10:38 -
Yep, great catchers :thumbs:

http://www.chicoslures.co.uk/lucky-stri ... p-364.html
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Make your own out of a..........................spoon
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Kuusamo are my favs... I always polish them with metal polish before every outing - more flash than a flashy thing :camera:

https://www.lureshop.eu/kuusamo.html/
Piking Plonker
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Spoons will dull and tarnish over the years, once the shine has gone of them as Mark has mentioned, a rub with metal polish works great or as I do, keep a tiny bit of very fine oiled wire wool in a little sealed plastic bag close to your spoons and give them a rub with that if they are looking a bit dull, brings them up a treat.

Will.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Landy,
Welcome aboard :handshake:

Buy old desert or serving spoons at car boot sales or charity shops.
Cut or bend off the handle then file down the edges to suit your requirements, if you dont have a file rub along a concrete drive or paving slab.
Drill or punch in the holes, rub the rough bits off them give them a rub over with wire wool aka brillo pad, or a dab of mum or grans Brasso or Dads chrome cleaner.
Dont worry about finish, the fish wont care a jot, just get it wobbling to your satisfaction.

A really good spoon to me doesn't rotate, it rocks and rolls along on its back, the shine is just to get the fishes attention its the rocknroll gets the strike.
Caught shed loads on home mades, before I started earning and buying (mostly) rubbish!

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Fun and rewarding as it is, you'll catch a lot more on what comes out of a packet, especially if you go with something from the likes of kuusamo, lucky strike, dardelve, kilty and so on. The professor in particular is all you probably need for pike and comes in several sizes and a myriad of finishes. If I was pushed, I'd say the copper, copper/nickel and perch finish OO, O and 1H are the must haves. The OO is great for row trolling BTW and an essential lure to have on the trout waters IMO.
Piking Plonker
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

I'm probably guilty of using spoons more than I should, but they're great search lures for active fish from the bank. I may then switch to something like a soft plastic fished slower to catch more from that area.

I get quite a lot of fish on the drop on spoons so I close the bail arm immediately the spoon hits the water. This more than makes up for the slight loss of distance.

My favourite spoon is the largest size (90mm/35gm) Abu Atom as I've always got an eye open for a big perch. The OP will be pleased to hear they're made in smaller sizes too.

Whilst I've caught on plain silver I prefer spoons with a different colour on the inside as this gives rather more of an intermittent flash. And as any lighthouse keeper will tell you an intermittent flash is more easily seen. This to me is more important than the brightest finish.
morph
Perch
Perch

Post by morph »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Oct 18 2017 11:20 -
andrew_nagel wrote: Wed Oct 18 2017 10:38 -
Yep, great catchers :thumbs:

http://www.chicoslures.co.uk/lucky-stri ... p-364.html
I hate reading threads like this one. It's forced me to go and buy a couple of these
:roll: :roll:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I forgot about the Atom. Spot on there Steve.
Piking Plonker
billybaltic
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by billybaltic »

My favourite is a copper toby lure, for pike, big trout and the odd sea trout, sometimes even a salmon, a spoon for first cast's is my way
ironpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ironpike »

Which Kuusamo spoon do you recommend for vertical pike fishing? I've read a lot of excellent reviews on this brand but never tried it. They areabit more expensive than my usual Dikom and DAM blinkers but I really dig the design and they seem to be great catchers
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
ironpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ironpike »