Changing spools while fly fishing

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Changing spools while fly fishing

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Seems a bit of a silly question but I only have 1 fly rod so is there an easy way to keep changing the spools without having to keep re threading the line on the rod? Does anyone who does this have any shortcuts or am I just going to have to keep running the line through the rings each time.
Like I said seems a silly question but if I need to change lines every drift it'll start doing my head in but if I don't it could cost me fish
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Changing spools while fly fishing

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I fly fished for quite a few years and I'm always up for an easy n quick way of doing things Mark, but I ended up buying more rods n reels, sorry but thats the best I could come up with!

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
sebshelton
Chub
Chub

Post by sebshelton »

Not a silly question at all. Adding a 4-5 ft super fast sink polyleader to a floating line or intermediate line will give you added speed /depth options.
If you make up your own leader from a 20 ft length of di 6-7 you can turn a floating line into a very versatile tool, while the same in lead core will have you fishing even deeper. :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Cassette reel/spare spools and a really long leader and snip and retie, maybe a little oval split ring at the reel. Just need to pull the leader back through to thread the fly line :shrug:

Thats a lotta leader though and more attachments and bits.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

sebshelton wrote: Sat Oct 14 2017 20:32 -
Not a silly question at all. Adding a 4-5 ft super fast sink polyleader to a floating line or intermediate line will give you added speed /depth options.
If you make up your own leader from a 20 ft length of di 6-7 you can turn a floating line into a very versatile tool, while the same in lead core will have you fishing even deeper. :thumbs:
:worthy:
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

That idea of Seb's tied loop to loop, still a faff about buy another setup that's the easy way to keep casting
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
sebshelton
Chub
Chub

Post by sebshelton »

DavyMc wrote: Sat Oct 14 2017 21:05 -
That idea of Seb's tied loop to loop, still a faff about buy another setup that's the easy way to keep casting
Couldn't agree more Davy...it's still a faff. I use 3 x rods set up, but sometimes still add a poly leader to a floating or intermediate line to get different sink / retrieve options between the 3 set-ups.
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

Stick with di7 mate, 90% of my day was done on that rod. Only when fishing over the weed did I switch to a di3, but you're only getting 2 casts into the weed before your drift runs out.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Re: Changing spools while fly fishi

Post by MarkBerrisford »

If I was going to do it more often I'd just sort another rod, was just hoping there was something I hadn't thought of that's all
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Changing your fly line every drift Mark? now that will be hard work! hope you don't mind me saying but that sounds like a lack of confidence.

The best way to re-thread your line through the rings is to use the flyline it's self, simply by creating a loop and folding it through the rings, and not using the leader.

Fishing wise, Seb Shelton's piece is a very good option, DI-7 lines will obviously go down very quickly, but consider intermediates and even floating lines which will give the fly more "swimming time" rather than having to strip the fly in because you are picking up weed etc, if you are drifting onto weed and fish and you stick with the DI -7, consider making more, shorter casts to reduce fouling the bottom.
For shallow water fishing from a drifting boat, lets say up to 15 feet, I'd be using a floater. or an intermediate line using a short cast of 15 yards or so, which is more than enough.
Yes you will be making more casts, but you will /should be covering more of the water in front of you by casting at different angles as well.

It's very rarely about casting a long distance when fly fishing, presentation is the key having your fly the longest in the "killing zone" the better, pike will come from a long way to take a fly, believe me.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

not a lack of confidence Nigel just more about making sure I make the most of the opportunity I've got. I was just checking I wasn't missing a trick that's all.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fish the WFF and only change the tip.

Buy a Rio InTouch. T-17 30ft Level T Salmon Leader.
From it cut and weld 5, 7.5, 10, foot leaders.
Sinks like the proverbial, takes a big lure down very quickly and swims it straight.

Loops welded using clear shrink tube and lighter flame.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Think I own one of your old rods seb, a #9 sage tcr?