Grommets?

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Grommets?

Post by Chris Hammond »

I’m not even sure that’s what they’d be called?

I’m looking for a rubber seal for a 75mm hole as below. Those rubber rings that are split to halfway on their outer circumference and convert the ply hole into a rubber one? I know that’s a bit of a naff explanation but I’m hoping any of you practical chaps out there might tell me what they are and where I might be able to buy some?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Grommets?

Post by Cyprio »

what about this as its soft rubber should bend around hole then super glue ends together. Hopefully the birds wont object :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Rubber-C ... 0012&psc=1
Andy Carpenter
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

What is it for Chris.
Shooting blind is it for a waste or water pipe or an extractor fan? If for exterior use stainless or lead sheet secured with one of the new epoxies?

When I installed my extractor fan for the cooker I bought the plate online, again the pipe was slid through the hole.
Ive made something similar out of stainless sheet when i put the chimney of a woodburning stove through a concrete ceiling, I just made the hole and put the pipe through sealing it with HR mastic.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Cyprio wrote: Sat Jan 13 2024 20:09 -
what about this as its soft rubber should bend around hole then super glue ends together. Hopefully the birds wont object :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Rubber-C ... 0012&psc=1
That might work yes. Thank you. :thumbs:

Edit btw it’s not for the nest box hole.
Last edited by Chris Hammond on Sun Jan 14 2024 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

zodiac wrote: Sat Jan 13 2024 20:15 -
Thanks Z, that’s exactly what I was referring to when I made this post and I actually found those after posting, but just as Iveas about to pull the trigger and order their minimum of 25, it dawned on me that they won’t work. The ply is about 6 mm thick and those are for thin metal I think?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jan 13 2024 20:45 -
What is it for Chris.
Shooting blind is it for a waste or water pipe or an extractor fan? If for exterior use stainless or lead sheet secured with one of the new epoxies?

When I installed my extractor fan for the cooker I bought the plate online, again the pipe was slid through the hole.
Ive made something similar out of stainless sheet when i put the chimney of a woodburning stove through a concrete ceiling, I just made the hole and put the pipe through sealing it with HR mastic.

It’s to create a snug seal for these waterproof clocks Mike. I’m making, or trying to, sort of bird-box cuckoo clocks. That is a nesting box with an outdoor clock below the entrance hole.

I’ll put up a picture when I get one completed. 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Is there a silicone or mastic for exterior use?
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jan 14 2024 21:41 -
What is it for Chris.

It’s to create a snug seal for these waterproof clocks Mike. I’m making, or trying to, sort of bird-box cuckoo clocks. That is a nesting box with an outdoor clock below the entrance hole.

Does the clock mechanism make a noise? You could find even a little whir might be enough to put them off? Then again the Peregrines that nest in church towers do not seem to mind.

My sparrow colony box has been taken over by wood mice. To keep them happy Ive been feeding bird food, then a rat turned up and gnawed an entrance so got the Nutella 177 headache. Tonight its stale bread with a bit of apple on the side. Must set-up the trail cam now its drier.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Jan 13 2024 21:52 -
Needs to be an open grommet Bob.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

JoeNickel wrote: Sun Jan 14 2024 21:59 -
Is there a silicone or mastic for exterior use?
It’s not a permanent seal Joe. It’s just to create an aesthetically pleasing finish, but access will be needed to set the clock or change the batteries.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Sun Jan 14 2024 22:20 -
What is it for Chris.

Does the clock mechanism make a noise? You could find even a little whir might be enough to put them off? Then again the Peregrines that nest in church towers do not seem to mind.

My sparrow colony box has been taken over by wood mice. To keep them happy Ive been feeding bird food, then a rat turned up and gnawed an entrance so got the Nutella 177 headache. Tonight its stale bread with a bit of apple on the side. Must set-up the trail cam now its drier.

No noise?? How will the blue t*t know when it’s time to pop out and shout cuckoo??😀

No Mike, they are silent of course.👍
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 06:58 -
What is it for Chris.

No noise?? How will the blue t*t know when it’s time to pop out and shout cuckoo??😀

Justa thought, set the clock at midday then take a photograph when it pops out, it could even make a good entry for a competition?

:camera:

Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 09:32 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 06:58 -
What is it for Chris.

Justa thought, set the clock at midday then take a photograph when it pops out, it could even make a good entry for a competition?

:camera:

Funnily enough Mike I aim to do just that so that I can use the shot in an advert for the boxes.👍

I’m looking for ways to earn money as a self employed worker. I was originally giving my best boxes away but now hope to make some wages from them. I have a few ideas. I have a nice off it strip of sedum from a green roof we built, so my next mission will be to build a box with a green roof. 🙂

…that ought to offset at least a thimble full of greenhouse gasses. Take that Greta!😀
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Good on ya Chris.
Have you thought of making hedgehog boxes.
They are very popular, even with the very high prices from stores.
Plenty of designs the quirky or different ones would sell well. I made plain boxes as I hid them under our conifers and bushes.
Use more material but profits would be higher :wink:
Andy Carpenter
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 11:33 -
Good on ya Chris.
Have you thought of making hedgehog boxes.
They are very popular, even with the very high prices from stores.
Plenty of designs the quirky or different ones would sell well. I made plain boxes as I hid them under our conifers and bushes.
Use more material but profits would be higher :wink:
Yes mate I’ve had a version of a hedgehog house in mind for a bit. I’m going to see if I actually can sell the bird boxes first.