New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Taupe78
Stickleback
Stickleback

From Fly to Pike

Post by Taupe78 »

Hi All,

Well... I never thought I'd fish pike.
I always thought they were amazing fish when I was younger but felt they were out of reach.

But I stopped fishing when I moved to the UK.
Fast forward 20+ years... and my bro, who never stopped fishing, buys me a fly rod for my birthday.
I went out a few times and got hooked on the buzz of fishing again.
Although... Cambridge is hardly a hot-spot for fly fishing (I get some odd looks)... but targeted chub and rudd.

One day... I was struggling to get anything and struggling to cast and I saw a guy with a spinner rod moving down the river. He mentioned he'd caught a few pike that morning.
I thought I'd have me some of that!! especially with the cold weather making fly fishing even harder.

So for my birthday I went and got a bit of kit.

Last week-end I went out for my first shot.
After a couple of hours not being sure I'm using the right lures, casting the right spots or retrieving too fast/slow - I caught my first pike.
Not a huge one - about 750g... but I was BUZZING!!! :clap:
(although - I shredded my fingers on it's teeth ...)

Cambridgeshire is a good area for Pike. So am looking forward to going out again!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: From Fly to Pike

Post by Mike J »

:laughs: Ah the hit, nothing can beat it!

Now youve been bitten in more ways than one it will like a drug, welcome aboard!

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

:wave:
Regards
Tom :handshake:
Taupe78
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Taupe78 »

Got a second wee Jack on my second trip... now just need to catch it's parents / grandparents