Returning to Pike Fishing

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Returning to Pike Fishing

Post by Derek Ainscough »

Hi all, brilliant finding this site as I’m returning to pike fishing after an absence of too many years (over 20) and relearning new tackle and techniques. I started my pike fishing in the early 60s on the three pools (which in actual fact was only two and subsequently the centre bank was dug out to become one pool and renamed the river Crossens, but if you look carefully at the road bridge you can still see the original three arches). Although in the past I’ve been lucky to catch some large pike, I probable had more pleasure plugging for 5-10lbs on the canal.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Returning to Pike Fishing

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome aboard Derek :handshake:
Their a good bunch on the pit enjoy
Regards
Tom
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Hello Derek.

Welcome to the Pit.

Will.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Welcome aboard mate👍
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

:grin: Welcome
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Thanks all for making me welcome
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Slowly going through the posts, there is a lot of good information here. I particularly liked that there is a James Holgate trophy. I was fortunate to meet James on a number of occasions and he was alway free with information, help and advice, particularly around Lancs & Cumbria where I fished.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

I was a returnee a while back and found nothing much had changed, still the braggers and boasters at one end and the quite ones saying nowt at the other. End tackle is just the same but these days its hard to buy quality trace wire in bulk spools unlike the early days when it was in most good tackle shops, many hooks are made in China but Japanese and Americian producers still dominate the high quality/price hook market.

I made a few upgrades eg; reels from Daiwa superseded my Mitchell's and a pair of DLSTs weigh 1/3 or my Sportex of the '60's, but I still use my Efgeeco rod rests and poly sea floats when you see the prices of the latest designs you will know why.

Be sure to give circle hooks a try, as a disciple I will not say more except that if nothing else, they make unhooking so much simpler.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Thanks Mike, I need to put new hooks on my old lures so I will investigate the circle hooks
stevie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stevie »

Hello Derek. Are you the fella mentioned in Banny’s book a few times. Part of the Southport crew including Lumby from the 80/90’s ?

Cheers Steve
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Southport massive ...lumby and Gordy up with the kids
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Hi Steve, the only ref to me is in my copy of his book where Malcolm wrote a dedication. The Derek in Malcom’s book is Derek Unsworth. My fishing in Southport was in the 60s. By early 70s I had a car and had moved my fishing to Grassmere, in those days there was a campsite on the side of the lake which made for a pleasant weekend. I only know Dave Lumb from meeting him at conferences, the first time probably LAS at Congleton. I’ve never met Gord Burton but heard stories from his brother Cyril.
stevie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stevie »

👍
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Derek Ainscough wrote: Sun Aug 02 2020 10:36 -
Thanks Mike, I need to put new hooks on my old lures so I will investigate the circle hooks

Nooooo!
Sorry I did not realise you were a lure angler or I would not have advised you to try circle hooks.
Circles work well on flies and rigged infront of small soft lure but on hard lures I have never hooked a single pike dispite several different rigging systems.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Thanks Mike for the heads up re circle hooks and lures. I’ll ask advice on the lure forum.