Quest for Pike again !

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Chess Fisher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Quest for Pike again !

Post by Chess Fisher »

Well after some twenty years or more, I for the first time fished for a Pike the other day.
My return saw me on a local river with a lazy start to the day. I opted to turn up the later part of the morning and fish through to dark. Small bag of essentials and a selection of dead baits saw me right.
Just the one rod trotting a float down the glides and holding back once in a while saw a couple of gorgeous river Pike grace my net. Both caught within just 20 minutes of each other. Not big fish at all but what does it matter. Being river Pike they certainly knew how to pull back, coming clean out of the water a few times for my further amusement. Both very low doubles in fabulous plump condition. Great start to this winters campaign anyone would say.
Working with what can be moody rivers at this time of year I'm not sure just how many trips I will get in for a Pike. Coloured and flooded will see me after another large winter Barbel. Cold and clearing perhaps a big ole Chevin. Blessed with more time on my hands these days I can work with the highs and lows in search of what will hopefully be a much larger river Pike in all it's splender. Fingers crossed !

Gordon.
Gordon C
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Re: Quest for Pike again !

Post by Will Smith »

Good start Gordon, welcome to the Pit.

Will.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

welcome to the pit :handshake:
Regards
Tom
Chess Fisher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Chess Fisher »

Will, Tom, Thank you both :thumbs:
Gordon C
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

we would love to see these pike did you take pics ......
Chess Fisher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Chess Fisher »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Nov 18 2021 19:05 -
I didn't this time round no. Perhaps I should have done being the first Pike I've had after such a long lay off. Whilst not big fish they both were perfect in every way. Markings, build. And a stunning location to catch them from as well.
I've had some very large Pike in the past but the one thing I have never caught is a river twenty. Close but not quite. This year hopefully I'll be able to report a new mile stone !?
Gordon C
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Chess Fisher wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 15:26 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Nov 18 2021 19:05 -
I didn't this time round no. Perhaps I should have done being the first Pike I've had after such a long lay off. Whilst not big fish they both were perfect in every way. Markings, build. And a stunning location to catch them from as well.
I've had some very large Pike in the past but the one thing I have never caught is a river twenty. Close but not quite. This year hopefully I'll be able to report a new mile stone !?
A few of us still after that first river 20 - after several 15 - 19.5 - pounders, think they mostly max out around that weight on my local rivers!?

I may reduce my chances by mainly luring, mind.
Peter Newman
Chess Fisher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Chess Fisher »

Peter, whilst lures have featured very briefly for me this year it’s not a technique I pursue with the same sort of confidence if I were to trot a float about instead.
Although this is a relatively new stretch of river for me, I’m hoping my Barbel and Chub fishing this season will stand me in good stead this coming winter.
So far a couple of trips in I have found some fabulous Pike in fine fettle which makes me think there could well be something rather special lurking below.
The low foot fall, the silver activity and my results so far have just fuelled the fire that bit more.
Just remains to be seen if I can draw myself away from a winter Barbel or Chub which have been a very big part of my life for the past forty years or so. Now blessed with more time on my hands these days hopefully a large river Pike will grace my net before the winter is out !
Gordon C
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Chess Fisher wrote: Fri Nov 26 2021 15:38 -
Peter, whilst lures have featured very briefly for me this year it’s not a technique I pursue with the same sort of confidence if I were to trot a float about instead.
Although this is a relatively new stretch of river for me, I’m hoping my Barbel and Chub fishing this season will stand me in good stead this coming winter.
So far a couple of trips in I have found some fabulous Pike in fine fettle which makes me think there could well be something rather special lurking below.
The low foot fall, the silver activity and my results so far have just fuelled the fire that bit more.
Just remains to be seen if I can draw myself away from a winter Barbel or Chub which have been a very big part of my life for the past forty years or so. Now blessed with more time on my hands these days hopefully a large river Pike will grace my net before the winter is out !
Sounds promising!
The low foot fall, the silver activity and my results so far have just fuelled the fire
Sounds good - old truism is that (big) pike thrive on neglect.
Was chuffed with first double on a "new" (to me), remote water - only to find a trace in it's throat I had to remove! And sadly, evidence of pike removal by "other cultures" , continues.
Peter Newman
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

peteren wrote: Fri Nov 26 2021 19:01 -
Chess Fisher wrote: Fri Nov 26 2021 15:38 -
Sounds promising!
The low foot fall, the silver activity and my results so far have just fuelled the fire
Sounds good - old truism is that (big) pike thrive on neglect.
Was chuffed with first double on a "new" (to me), remote water - only to find a trace in it's throat I had to remove! And sadly, evidence of pike removal by "other cultures" , continues.
sadly peter the more remote waters are targets for these types , less people on them especially mid week..... :shrug: