South Devon

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

South Devon

Post by Lunix79 »

Hi all,

Thought I'd drop a very quick intro in here, to see if there are any anglers not too far from me that would like to meet up for a little session somewhere along the way!

Moved to the coast last year, near Kingsbridge, from cornwall.
I adore ALL sorts of fishing :perv: would love to have someone to go:
- bass/wrasse fishing (lure/bait)
- LRF
- salmon/sea trout river fishing
- predator lake/canal (and when season opens, rivers)
- carp/tench/roach in lakes (bait)

Not necessarily after marks, have a good ones, so can bring something to the table too! I am a member of a few waters/rivers, the only one I can't cover is pike/perch/chub where I live.

Anyone around? :wave:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: South Devon

Post by Nige Johns »

Hi Lunix
Slightly off topic
,my dad was born in Kingsbridge,up to the age of 12 or so we went back every year for holidays,lovely little town that had a miniature railway that you could ride around the car park,I think it’s been revived hasn’t it.
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Nige Johns wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 07:49 -
Hi Lunix
Slightly off topic
,my dad was born in Kingsbridge,up to the age of 12 or so we went back every year for holidays,lovely little town that had a miniature railway that you could ride around the car park,I think it’s been revived hasn’t it.
Hi mate,
Totally correct, the train station is still going, my kids love it! I live it here, just need to get a kayak to get out and target the gilts this summer in lures...only problem, it is schoolie heaven! Well, if you are ever down again, give us a shout! :thumbs:
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome to the pit :handshake:
Regards
Tom
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

My in laws live in Newton Abbott , some great shore fishing around the area, not great for pike though I’ve been told apart from the main river and canal system nearby. To be fair the wrasse and bass have kept me more than happy down your way though 👍
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Happy Hayes wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 18:04 -
Welcome to the pit :handshake:
Regards
Tom
Thanks Tom :thumbs:
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

suffolk si wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 18:28 -
My in laws live in Newton Abbott , some great shore fishing around the area, not great for pike though I’ve been told apart from the main river and canal system nearby. To be fair the wrasse and bass have kept me more than happy down your way though 👍
Newton Abbot is nice, I fish some water not far from there with a few jack's in - been told there are all sorts of course fish in the river, might go exploring sometime in the summer.
If you are down sometime and fancy a fish together for wrasse and bass, gimme a shout :wink:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I’ve done a bit of predator lure fishing in Devon, and could meet up in a couple of weeks, to give you a few pointers etc. if your up for it.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Lunix79 wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 18:53 -
Newton Abbot is nice, I fish some water not far from there with a few jack's in - been told there are all sorts of course fish in the river, might go exploring sometime in the summer.
If you are down sometime and fancy a fish together for wrasse and bass, gimme a shout :wink:
Will do bud appreciate it👍I’m a complete novice at that sort of fishing but enjoy it, there’s a small trout / pike water in the north of the county which I guess you know about, I may give that a look if I’m at the in-laws this winter 😉👍
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

I fish a few of the Canal systems and despite the usual stories of big pike there is little to suggest its true, was roach fishing last week when there was a pike of around 4-5 lb 30 ft off me just basking on the surface, the times people going past and then overestimating its size says it all.

There is one area I would focus on but perhaps Steve Moore will steer you more that way ...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Lunix79 wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 11:09 -
Hi Lunix
Slightly off topic
Hi mate,
Totally correct, the train station is still going, my kids love it! I live it here, just need to get a kayak to get out and target the gilts this summer in lures...only problem, it is schoolie heaven! Well, if you are ever down again, give us a shout! :thumbs:

I know where your coming from as I also fish in schoolie heaven. It takes some doing but if you can get through them there are normally a few decent fish to be found underneath.
They are also targeted by our cod which will cough them up when they are on the shoals.
I was there when the pound was filling and imagining its potential, still waiting even though some rudd have arrived.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Steve Moore wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 20:20 -
I’ve done a bit of predator lure fishing in Devon, and could meet up in a couple of weeks, to give you a few pointers etc. if your up for it.
Hi Steve, that is a kind offer thanks! Unfortunately I am away for the next 2 weeks with the Easter Holidays in Hampshire, but any time may onwards I am more than game! :thanks: :cheers:
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

suffolk si wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 20:33 -
Lunix79 wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 18:53 -
Will do bud appreciate it👍I’m a complete novice at that sort of fishing but enjoy it, there’s a small trout / pike water in the north of the county which I guess you know about, I may give that a look if I’m at the in-laws this winter 😉👍
I have to be honest...not sure I know which water you are talking about, North Devon is still a bit alien to me! :laughs: but not far and I am planning on moving closer to Dartmoor after summer, so could be interesting! :thumbs:
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Stewlaws wrote: Sun Apr 10 2022 07:33 -
I fish a few of the Canal systems and despite the usual stories of big pike there is little to suggest its true, was roach fishing last week when there was a pike of around 4-5 lb 30 ft off me just basking on the surface, the times people going past and then overestimating its size says it all.

There is one area I would focus on but perhaps Steve Moore will steer you more that way ...
5lb sounds good to me, I like to use 2-4in lures for big perch and of course I invariably get lovely jack's in doing so! I know what you mean about people overestimating - I had a 3/4lb fish and one bystander was like "wow, that fish is HUGE"! :eek: :wink: :laughs:
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Mike J wrote: Sun Apr 10 2022 09:43 -
Lunix79 wrote: Sat Apr 09 2022 11:09 -
Hi Lunix
Slightly off topic
Hi mate,

I know where your coming from as I also fish in schoolie heaven. It takes some doing but if you can get through them there are normally a few decent fish to be found underneath.
They are also targeted by our cod which will cough them up when they are on the shoals.
I was there when the pound was filling and imagining its potential, still waiting even though some rudd have arrived.

Last year that is exactly where I struggled, I know there are good fish there as I have seen them out to 6lb!! :boing:
but for me it was always schoolies! If I can get myself a kayak I am hoping to ledger a big bait whilst lure fishing ...fingers crossed I find out! Don't think cod make it up where I am..not had one of those yet, target for this winter! :pirate:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Lunix79 wrote: Sun Apr 10 2022 23:25 -
Hi Steve, that is a kind offer thanks! Unfortunately I am away for the next 2 weeks with the Easter Holidays in Hampshire, but any time may onwards I am more than game! :thanks: :cheers:
👍👍
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Wellcome, I’m from Brixham originally. Dads family go back generations in south Devon. Brought up in wales from aged 10 though and now in Scotland. I’d love to get back down that way for a fish again sometime.
Cheers
Ben
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Hi Ben,

I have not fished around Brixham yet, but I know it is a Mecca for LRF, si will definitely make my way down there sometime this summer! :wink:

If you happen to be down and fancy someone to go lure fishing with, give us a shout! :thumbs:
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Hi Steve,

How are things? Just dropping a message to see if you are about for a meet and fish sometime? Let me know if you fancy it, I will PM you my details :rock:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Yeah, will sort something out soon mate.
It’s a bit bloody hot to do anything at the minute.
Will be in touch, :thumbs:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Might have to wait a while, our club has closed all rivers due to low water levels.
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Hi Steve,

I have seen many waters closing at the moment. To be honest, I have seen such sunburnt fishermen that I think it's protecting humans more than fish! :laughs:

I have been giving the sea a bash ..mixed results since tides turned to neaps, the odd schoolie and a nice wrasse have all I have to show for a few days of fishing...although, to be fair, I haven't been fishing when I have wanted to due to work - need to find some spots that produce at these stages...

I believe the hot spell will end after this weekend - I am hopefully going abroad for a few weeks, but will be rearing to go in September :thumbs: