Newbie from Stoke on Trent

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Newbie from Stoke on Trent

Post by Barryfisher »

Hi All. I stumbled across this forum a week ago following a google search for a certain Carl Perkins. Since then I've spent "far too many hours" totally absorbed in all of the boat fishing forum topics from all 61 pages. What a wealth of useful information and stimulating banter :thumbs: now I need to start catching up on all the other forums; that should keep me occupied until Christmas at least.......

I'm a 71 year old semi-retired occupation hygiene consultant who started fishing at the age of eight and immediately became hooked if you'll excuse the pun. My inspiration, like many others, came from that wonderful book " Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing" which I had on "permanent loan" from the library for a couple of years. One of the highlights of my life was being finally able to meet up with Bernard Venables himself a few years before he died and to thank him for giving me and thousands of others all those years of pleasure from a wonderful hobby. What a truly humble and modest gentleman he was and it was lovely to see him go on to eventually appear in the "A Passion For Angling" series on TV

After about ten years of coarse and match fishing I was introduced to fly fishing and wildlife photography, which then took over everything for the next forty odd years. However a few years ago, whilst on holiday in Norfolk, I re-kindled my interest in coarse fishing again and this has taken me down the path into pike fishing once more.

I've just bought myself a 12ft boat with a 3.5hp Mercury OB that I'm currently fitting out for pike fishing and I've just bought Carl's Minn Kota 40lb Maxxum to use for trolling which led me to the forum

I'm looking forward to contributing in some small way to this forum and I'm sure that I'll get a lot back out of it in return as I have in the past with two wildlife photography forums.
An expert is but a beginner with experience.
"Sometimes in life there is a great skill in knowing when to shut up" - Alan.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Newbie from Stoke on Trent

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome to the pit,you'll love it
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

Thanks. I'm sure I will
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

Cracking intro Barry, welcome to the Pit :thumbs:
Dale
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

Thanks Tiercel. I love the avatar. Is it one of your photos? I've spent many hours photographing kestrels, buzzards,barn owls red kites etc but the only perigrines I've photographed we're those that nested on the cathedral at Derby :thumbs:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Barryfisher wrote:
Thanks Tiercel. I love the avatar. Is it one of your photos? I've spent many hours photographing kestrels, buzzards,barn owls red kites etc but the only perigrines I've photographed we're those that nested on the cathedral at Derby :thumbs:
Hi Barry and welcome :wave:

Don't get that their Dale AKA Tiercel on about birds we shall never get him off :laughs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

Barryfisher wrote:
The avatar is my Saker, also have a Barn and Little Owl.
In my view the Peregrine is the ultimate predator, but I'm likely biased :laughs:
Dale
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

Crackoff wrote:
Don't get that their Dale AKA Tiercel on about birds we shall never get him off :laughs:

Grant :smile:
Hint taken....... Grandad :tongues:
Dale