Hey ho all :)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Joshsta1000
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hey ho all :)

Post by Joshsta1000 »

Hi all, my names Josh, I live in Bedfordshire & im 24

This seems like the perfect place for me, always been a angler all my life, mainly focused on carp/tench/Chubb etc. Never have I even tried to catch a pike, or seen one in person for that matter. Which brings me here :)!

After some beginners advice, I'd like to buy a rod a reel to accommodate this itch that's grown. I know I want a baitcasting rod/reel as I've never used this type of setup and I'm excited to familiarise myself with it, I also know that I'd like to fish for pike wish swimbaits after watching copious amounts of YouTube videos - mainly being DB's channel.

Obviously I have a budget, of which being in the region of £100-150.

I've seen various rod reel combos up on Anglian direct and a few other websites.

From what I can see I would need a rod that's capable of casting up to 100g maximum, also being ample enough to cast the lower spectrum of 20/50g.

Sorry for the essay by the way. I've done lots of reading on braid, floro carbon leaders etc, so have a basic understanding of all that. I just done want to go and buy something that's not what I want... which is where I'm relying on your experiences to guide me as a predator newbie!

Any advice etc is greatly appreciated!!!
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Hey ho all :)

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Welcome,

Please don't use flurocarbon leaders.

If you have a treble on, use wire. :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome to the pit josh :handshake:
As Duncan said leave the fluorocarbon alone.
Regards
Tom
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Hello Josh.

Will.