New member, high point and low point. Please try and be kind

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Vermillion
Stickleback
Stickleback

New member, high point and low point. Please try and be kind

Post by Vermillion »

Firstly, I'd like to say hi and give a brief introduction.
I started fishing for Pike around 30 years ago when a work colleague took me to Bassenthwaite in the lake district. I remember the day very well, I was the only one to have any runs, mainly because of my useless casting which put me right on the fish which were obviously feeding close in. I lost the first one as I hadn't twiddled my trace tight enough. With my traces refettled, I cast out again and caught this 13lber.

From that moment I was addicted and fished for Pike, mainly in the lake district, for the following fifteen years or so. with the Highlight being my first 20lber.

For one reason or another (kids, relationships with women, alcohol, jobs with little free time etc.) had a ten yearish break.
About three years ago, I decided I'd like to get my Pike rods out again and now I'm as enthusiastic as ever.
I seem to me having more success than when I was younger, I'm not sure whether it's because there are more Pike about or because I'm applying a more mature and methodical approach to my fishing.
This last twelve months has been the best for me with a few nice doubles including three twenties which isn't bad considering all my fishing is in the Lake district. My best fish came at the end of last year, a new PB of over 26lb

This year, I decided I was going to concentrate on one particular lake and after searching for new spots, I found a couple of places with a nice depth of water around 30 ft. I returned to one of the spots a couple of days ago and was pleased to get a run quite early into the session but unfortunately, I didn't hook it. I then had a very shy take on another rod, this time , I managed to hook the fish, a nicely conditioned 17lber.

I was pleased the hooks came out in the net, one less job. After a quick weigh and photo I went to return the fish which seemed eager to swim off, unfortunately, it went belly up with gas about ten yards out so I waded out and re-netted it. I then placed it in a retaining sling and kept it upright, hoping it would expel the air.

I kept it in this position for over an hour until I had to leave, when I went to let it go, it appeared to swim off strongly but went belly up again, this time, way out of my reach. I found this very upsetting but I believe I did all I could, the fish was handled well and wasn't out of the water for any more than two minutes. I could see it was continually trying to right itself as it drifted away with the wind, by this time it was going dark and I had to pick my little lad up from school. I'm hoping the fish did recover but to be honest it didn't look good for the pike,
This is the first time I've had to deal with a gassed up Pike, I believe I did everything within my capabilities to help it recover.
I've since looked on the internet for information on how to rehabilitate a gassed up Pike and found nothing which is one of the reasons I've joined this forum, I'm hoping someone can give me info on how to ensure the safe return of a gassed up fish.
I've also been looking at a few youtube vids and I've seen some extremely poor handling of Pike but the fish still manage to swim off which doesn't make me feel any better.
Last edited by Vermillion on Wed Jan 24 2018 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
To enjoy anything worthwhile, there must be some difficulty in obtaining it.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: New member, high point and low point. Please try and be kind

Post by Andrew »

Now thats how you do an introduction. :thumbs:

Welcone mate :wave:
DaveyJ88
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by DaveyJ88 »

Really interesting read mate, and welcome too! I had a little 30cm jack go belly up due to “gassing” and yes it was upsetting. I remember it’s belly appearing to be drawn right in, like a ridge up the length of its body. Hopefully you’ll find the answer your looking for here, there’s a lot of really friendly knowledgable lads here.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Lengthy post here on gassed up pike: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30700
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It seems like you did all you could in the circumstances. Staking pike out is the best option we have for gassed up pike. If you have to leave for some reason try it using sticks or similar if possible.

PAC has some advice but there's no sure fire cure. https://pacgb.com/fishing-for-pike/copi ... d-up-pike/
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Welcome to the forum,

Its always gutting to have a fish die on you, for me its was a Zander many years ago which I am sure was dead before I lifted the net out of the water, despite trying nothing I could do.

Sounds like you did everything right (or as much as you could do).

Pleased that you decided to write it on here, its by sharing and discussing that we hopefully learn, maybe one day someone will be faced with this situation and your story may make the difference for the pike :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

It happened to me on the shannon.It wasn't warm or very deep or anything, but they did come to the surface very quickly and then they fight hard.Did the same as you keeping them as long as possible but when released they were still unable to dive.Who knows if they made it? You can only do your best.It put me right off and haven't fished that section since,even though it could probably happen anywhere.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome to the pit
Nice introduction
Regards
Tom :handshake:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Nice story Vermillion,welcome :thumbs:
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

Cracking introduction, welcome to the Pit :thumbs:
Dale
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Welcome to the pit, great introduction... :thumbs:
Ray Waker
RobMc0845
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by RobMc0845 »

Great introduction 👍
Chub
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Chub »

Hi Vermillion hope the fishing going well. I am familiar with some of the places you fish and belive i caught the same 26lb in September 2016 if it is glad to see it is going strong, also lost another big fish on the same session!
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Just read this tonight, I hope it eventually pulled itself around as well Gavin but, it is inevitable that at times some fish will die on us.

Will.