I’m me :)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Scrfishing
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

I’m me :)

Post by Scrfishing »

Hey all, originally skipped this to make a post but now I have time I’ll create one.

I’m scott, 29 from york, well near york, pocklington in fact but many of you probably don’t know the area so York’s easy to say 😅.
Been fishing around 20 years now, about 15 of them years I have been pike fishing, PB is 24lb 12oz from a local river.
I did 3 years at Bishop burton college studying fisheries management so I’ve gained vast knowledge & experience on fisheries & problems that happen. It was quite a cool course to be honest, got to cut fish open to see there internals, we was breeding fish, did a lot of work on ponds building pegs & Seine netting (always pull out monsters the locals didn’t know were in there 🤣)
Anyway enough of the essay, I’ll be on here a lot.
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Re: I’m me :)

Post by Andytheammer »

:handshake: Welcome aboard
Andy Sewell
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi and welcome.

Q: Have you managed to find a position allied to your studies or are you continuing?

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Scrfishing
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Scrfishing »

Mike J wrote: Thu Nov 29 2018 11:00 -
Hi and welcome.

Q: Have you managed to find a position allied to your studies or are you continuing?

Unfortunetly not, there isn’t much you can get out of it. A friend went to work at a fish farm, so out of 40?? Only he got fisheries related job. I did get offered a managers job at a fish farm few years back but due to circumstances I couldn’t move to the area. Also got offered BIG paying job in Australia in the outbacks but 40 degrees, deadly spiders/snakes/crocodiles isn’t my thing 😅
I haven’t seen any valid positions arise as yet and I’m thinking about taking up fishing coach next year. 😁
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Scrfishing wrote: Thu Nov 29 2018 11:19 -
Mike J wrote: Thu Nov 29 2018 11:00 -
Hi and welcome.

Unfortunetly not, there isn’t much you can get out of it. A friend went to work at a fish farm, so out of 40?? Only he got fisheries related job. I did get offered a managers job at a fish farm few years back but due to circumstances I couldn’t move to the area. Also got offered BIG paying job in Australia in the outbacks but 40 degrees, deadly spiders/snakes/crocodiles isn’t my thing 😅
I haven’t seen any valid positions arise as yet and I’m thinking about taking up fishing coach next year. 😁

Ah the question prosective students never ask the university/college before they decide to study.
My friend did fishery science, could find a suitable position so continued to PhD and went on to become a Don, then he discovered a fellow student was getting twice as much writing software so he made the change and ended up #1 trouble shooter for a US computer company. Its all about transferable skills not qualifications.

So you dont like hot sun, biting things and a little danger on the side, that means you wouldn't want (to learn) to be a deckie on a marlin boat?

:cool:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Scrfishing
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Scrfishing »

Haha, no my mother’s cousin lives in the sort of area in Australia where I got offered a job, she said everything you do you have to double check for spiders. EVERYTHING from putting socks on to taking a no.2 😆
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome to the pit
regards
Tom