Brief intro from a predator enthusiast

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
ABN
Stickleback
Stickleback

Brief intro from a predator enthusiast

Post by ABN »

Hi all, just joined and thought it would be good manners to introduce myself.
I've been a keen coarse and carp angler for more years than I care to remember but last autumn (2019) I ventured into the wonderful world of predator fishing with pike being the favoured species but also a hope for some perch and zander so I picked up a bit of tackle, a light rod for small jigs for perch and zander on my local canals etc and a heavier rod and an ever growing selection of larger lures of up to around 150g to try and tempt mr or mrs pike, so far I've had a couple of what I would call successful days out on still waters where I've been fortunate enough to land a couple of pike to around 8lbs and I must say I'm completely hooked (no pun intended) my only concern is the rapidly approaching 14th of march and unfortunately then it's time to wait until Ist October so ive been led to believe, hopefully going to have a couple more sessions before the end of the season, tight lines everyone
Regards Andy
Dont always catch but always enjoy my time on the bank
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Brief intro from a predator enthusiast

Post by Happy Hayes »

Nice intro Andy
Welcome to the pit :handshake:
Unfortunately the pike season seems to get shorter especially with the weather we’ve had the last couple of years
( To hot , winds or floods )
Enjoy the banter , their a good bunch on the pit
Regards
Tom
ABN
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ABN »

Hi Tom, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to chatting and learning from the wealth of experience on here :smile:
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

One things for sure Andy
If you want to learn this is the place to be .
There’s a lot of very knowledgeable anglers on here covering every aspect of our sport .
Dare I say it , it’s addictive ,my only regret is that I hadn’t found it earlier myself.
( the one rule , Don’t name waters )
Enjoy
Tom
ABN
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ABN »

I've read the rule about not naming waters, sensible strategy I think, my only regret is also not trying for pike sooner, I started looking into pike fishing around the end of autumn last year and had my first try at chucking a lure just after Christmas, I'm really hoping to catch a pike that's over the 10lb mark before the end of the season, hopefully be on the bank over the weekend weather permitting, and yes theres definitely a lot of knowledge and experience on here and from the posts I've read you do seem to be a very friendly bunch
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Welcome to the pit Andy, great bunch on here.

Regards
Ray
Ray Waker
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Welcome aboard Andy! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
ABN
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ABN »

Hi Ray, hi john
Thanks for the welcome

Andy
stickman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by stickman »

welcome Andy.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Stick around Andy, "we" are a mad bunch and there's "tons" of talent around these parts.

:thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

If I could offer one piece of advice it is to ensure you have a spead of waters where you can fish.
Winter river fishing seems to be getting far more limited due to high rainfalls, whereas stillwaters can be fished most if not all of the winter, and access to canals may even prove a good option in some circumstances.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
ABN
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ABN »

Once again hi all, it really is nice to be made to feel so welcome here so thanks again for the welcomes, I hope I may one day be able to contribute to the vast amount of experience and knowledge you all have to offer, although for now as a complete novice with just about half of a season under my belt I feel I may be spending most of my time here either reading the wealth of information contained in so many threads or asking for advice on lots of things predator fishing related.

Mike J, yes I completely agree about fishing a good spread of waters, there are a couple of still waters I've become quite fond of through this winter and I've had some quite entertaining sessions on a few stretches of canal, not had the opportunity to try my luck on any river stretches so far though and with the amount of rain we've had this last couple of weeks I feel I may have to wait a while for a decent opportunity, river fishing is high on my list for next autumn though as I'm probably going to spend the last bit of this season on lakes and ponds.

Tight lines
Andy