Greetings

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Gnorgel
Stickleback
Stickleback

Greetings

Post by Gnorgel »

Hi, just joined the forum and have to say I'm impressed by the amount of activity and information.

I wouldn't class myself as an experienced piker but have passed the newbie stage now. I recently bought a kayak to fish from and have been loving it, it opens up the few swims I can access during these restrictions.

I bought the Abu Garcia promax combo last year and loved the whole baitcaster experience. Planning on buying a heavy lure baitcaster setup as I feel this is still missing in my arsenal. I had planned to spend about £150-200 but from what I have seen so far on the forum it seems this is unrealistic. If anyone has any suggestions, I would gladly take them.

Anyway can't wait to read more of the posts.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Greetings

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome aboard :handshake:
For anyone wishing to learn ,the pit is definitely the place to be.
It may seem harsh on here at times but a better bunch you’ll not meet
And when the going gets tough everyone bands together..
Don’t be afraid to ask ,there’s always an answer waiting.
Enjoy
Regards
Tom
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Hello Gnorgel, welcome to the Pit! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

welcome to the pit thay don't bite, much :laughs:
Timothy edwards
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Gnorgel wrote: Fri Apr 09 2021 20:24 -
Hi, just joined the forum and have to say I'm impressed by the amount of activity and information.

I wouldn't class myself as an experienced piker but have passed the newbie stage now. I recently bought a kayak to fish from and have been loving it, it opens up the few swims I can access during these restrictions.

I bought the Abu Garcia promax combo last year and loved the whole baitcaster experience. Planning on buying a heavy lure baitcaster setup as I feel this is still missing in my arsenal. I had planned to spend about £150-200 but from what I have seen so far on the forum it seems this is unrealistic. If anyone has any suggestions, I would gladly take them.

Anyway can't wait to read more of the posts.
Welcome.
Planning on buying a heavy lure baitcaster setup as I feel this is still missing in my arsenal. I had planned to spend about £150-200 but not what what I have seen so far on the forum it seems this is unrealistic. If anyone has any suggestions, I would gladly take them
Worth looking and asking on this forum and the lure anglers '. I've picked up some excellent second hand gear thus; could get better quality for that budget.
Peter Newman
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Welcome to the forum. £200 budget is well achievable for a heavier lure setup. A used 5601 or 6501 paired with a new rod. My 60-80g 6ft trigger grip(Berkley lightening rod) is old and can be had for about 40quid
Gnorgel
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Gnorgel »

Andrew Croft wrote: Sat Apr 10 2021 14:10 -
Welcome to the forum. £200 budget is well achievable for a heavier lure setup. A used 5601 or 6501 paired with a new rod. My 60-80g 6ft trigger grip(Berkley lightening rod) is old and can be had for about 40quid
Thanks all.

I have seen the 5601 or 6501 being mentioned a couple of times for heavier lure setups. Have never used one of the round reels and I guess haven't considered it because of it, I don't know anything about them. Really enjoyed the low profile abu Pro max and hence was looking for a low profile one that can handle the heavier lures but it seems I am finding myself in a £200 price bracket.

I'll have a look around for a 5601 or 6501, or watch some YouTube videos on how to use them.

Anybody use a fish finder? Looking to add one to my kayak but have never used one before. Any advice? My main train of thought would be to read and understand the bottom better, like drop offs and structures...

This kayak seems to be expensive business... 😂
John66
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John66 »

:thumbs: Welcome and enjoy the pit