Hello from Oxford

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
sylvanillo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hello from Oxford

Post by sylvanillo »

Hello forum.
It will be nice to meet other anglers and start endless fishing conversations.
I'm based in Oxfordshire, or should I say I'm locked in here for perhaps a while...
I've been fishing for 30 years - predator mainly; lure and wobbling deadbait, and also trout on flies.

Originally I grew up in France but I've been living, therefore fishing!, in a number of countries now. A pity I could never mention fishing at job interviews.... those classical motivational questions...

But my brain doesn't want to talk to my spine anymore, so I've moved to more static fishing approaches. It's ok, that does the same grade of pleasure. Same big pike, same zander, same perch, it's just they had to get used to new baits. It has also been a fresh, fantastic, new start.

Would be a pleasure participating in this forum.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Hello from Oxford

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

You live in a great area for fishing but dont ignore the river, I fished it uears ago and never had a day when I didnt catch something,

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Hello Syl.

Welcome to the pit.

Will.
mmunio3
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by mmunio3 »

Hi

Tight Lines in 2022
Pike Fly Angler
Happy Husband & Father

https://minkafly.com
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome aboard :handshake:
Regards
Tom
Busman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Busman »

Good afternoon Sylvanillo. I'm new to this forum and would enjoy the odd chat about angling. I live down the road from you in Aylesbury and have just got back into angling after a break of a few years due to family commitments. I get the odd day to go out and will be exploring Buckinghamshire more this year . I love pike fishing but am a general all rounder. I dabbled in fly tying and fishing in my teens but was drawn back to course fishing .
Take care and all the best .
sylvanillo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by sylvanillo »

Thank you for your friendly replies. The year started with covid with serious impediments to the angling hobby - no nanny, no teacher but full time jobs for the (infected) parents in quarantine, yeah!

Getting ready for a long awaited pike session this weekend, I have ordered LTF kits to test anyone, anyfish who dare talking to me on the bank.

Mike, yes I do fish the Thames, although it has become more difficult to walk over the last years. But I do natural water only and even if I mostly choose the streams, backwaters or the canal they have drops of thames in them!

There are some great flies in the above website. Some fly anglers in my previous work location would love to see them in the Dutch polders...

Away from Oxford, Busman, I have mainly fished the Oxford canal. Perhaps not too far from your location. Plenty of zander, perch and, above all, pike, between Oxford and Leamington. Also giving stable good results for short spot fishing sessions; on my way to a previous work in Milton keynes, I used to fish early morning in the surroundings of Buckingham. I think my boss quickly noticed he wasn't my first daily priority!

Also, I used to do after work fishing around MK - GU canal which is amazing, and the lakes.
MK has become too far away for me unfortunately. One yearly Ikea visit is the family allowance atm!