Hello - an angler nearly 50yrs, a pike chaser for weeks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
OldTaff
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hello - an angler nearly 50yrs, a pike chaser for weeks

Post by OldTaff »

Hello all - have found this wonderful forum from recommendations on another general angling forum I’m a member of.

Started fishing aged 6 taught by my dad in South Wales on all manner of stillwaters and rivers. Caught my fair share of accidental pike in those times plus a very non-accidental 24lb one when taken out on a boat on [redacted] Lake by an old friend & highly seasoned pike angler.

Been in Kent close to 15yrs now and came back to angling a couple of years back to teach my then 4yr old the joys of fishing with lots of free River Medway on our doorstep and an equally free little carp filled lake equally close by for him to gain some skills. He’s turning into a dab hand - in the warm - with rod and pole on river, lake, pond and LRF at the seaside.

There is also a lake I discovered 2mins from my house - a lake with a murky history of superb well managed fishery full of big carp, tench, bream and pike that was allowed to fall into disuse & robbed out over 2 decades. Now silted up (18” to 3’ average depth), weed choked and gin clear that has a veritable jungle surrounding it but still holding treasures for those few who know about it (I’ve sneaked a tench or two out) and have the patience to winkle out the gems from an unforgiving water.

I meet three or four very local anglers there - on the whole serious pike anglers - and have seen a few pike on the bank and many in pics into the twenties. Last week I got follows and a hit on a top water lure on only my second attempt there for pike. I now plan to fish this properly and see what I might manage despite my relative pike naivety - plus it’s an excellent excuse to buy more fishing gear and who doesn’t love that?

Look forward to learning a lot from here and mastering some new techniques.

Karl
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Re: Hello - an angler nearly 50yrs, a pike chaser for weeks

Post by Brian Carragher »

There's a fair few on here from MDs
OldTaff
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by OldTaff »

Haha - thought it might be bad firm to mention drowners on another forum
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Hello from another taff
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome aboard Karl :handshake:
This place can be quite addictive
Regards
Tom
MrBen
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MrBen »

Hello, it’s getting serious now Mr Taff, finding you here as well.
John66
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John66 »

Welcome Karl :thumbs: