Swingers or Dropbacks?

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
mcleans99sn
Stickleback
Stickleback

Swingers or Dropbacks?

Post by mcleans99sn » Mon Jan 27 2020 19:34

Seen a few advertised but can someone tell me why they would favour a swinger over a drop back indicator?

I understand that a drop back can be fixed over an open bail arm and a bite indicator so would this not give better bite indication and less resistance than a swinger and closed (with bait runner engaged) bail arm giving a Dropback indicator an advantage over a swinger in general?

I understand that a drop back is more susceptible to wind but this is the only drawback that I can see with this system but with the drop backs it can be adjusted by weights and the line clamp so fail to see why a swinger would be preferred?

Would love to know the opinion and guidance out there...

Thanks

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Re: Swingers or Dropbacks?

Post by Mattjb » Mon Jan 27 2020 20:33

I've always preferred drop offs fished with open bail.As soon as the line is pulled from the clip it's totally free to spill off .I wouldn't like the thought of a swinger bouncing about as line is pulled off a baitrunner but I know others use that method . Each to their own.

benelli
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by benelli » Mon Jan 27 2020 21:00

What swingers do people use, just the normal carp ones?

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Mon Jan 27 2020 21:04

The other factor that may influence which method is used could be the type of front alarm being used. Some alarms suffer from line skip when using the open bail method as the line is not under tension enough to sound the alarm as it runs out. Having the butt ring up against the alarm helps a bit. Obviously using the same alarm but with a baitrunner you'll get a more continuous sound from the alarm during a run.

paul_sheff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by paul_sheff » Tue Jan 28 2020 01:27

backBiters also don’t suffer from false bites in the worse of weathers that front alarms and swingers can suffer due to cross winds and waves hitting the line ,
I produce and sell both drop off indicators and electronic backbiter alarms , find my sponsor banner on this forum or visit my website www.billysbackbiters.com you can also find me on Facebook again Billys backbiters

Paul
Www.billysbackbiters.co.uk
E-mail Paul_billysbackbiters.co.uk
Also find us on Facebook

Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Flipflopjoe » Tue Jan 28 2020 01:45

I purchased some drop-offs for the start of this season. Prior to this, at first I was using the standard "carp" set up, swingers and bait runner, but was getting lots of dropped runs, so I started using my swingers but mounted on the rear bank stick, with extended chains so I could use them with an open bail arm. I saw an immediate improved hook up rate as less runs were dropped. This set up was prone to false indications if the there was too much weather tho.
The drop-offs are definitely better, I cant recall a dropped run or false indication since using them.
I do agree with the comment about the bite alarms tho, standard roller alarms dont always pick up the run after the line is pulled out of the drop-off. I use wychwood solace alarms and I normally get a couple beeps as the line is pulled out and then nothing, so I watch the slack line to judge the run and strike accordingly.
Delkims would be a better option or backbiters, which I intend to upgrade to once I have the available funds !

gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 » Tue Jan 28 2020 08:15

I know a guy who uses front alarms/swingers/baitrunner set up because he thinks that the pike will feel the same resistance when it picks up the bait. He reckons he's had dropped runs using drop offs coz they feel a change in resistance once the line pops out the clip. I wouldn't criticise him, I think it's personal preference and what you feel happier using. Who really knows why a fish picks up a bait then decides to drop it? But all you can do is weigh it up and come to a reasoned decision.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Tue Jan 28 2020 08:45

gus666 wrote:
I know a guy who uses front alarms/swingers/baitrunner set up because he thinks that the pike will feel the same resistance when it picks up the bait. He reckons he's had dropped runs using drop offs coz they feel a change in resistance once the line pops out the clip. I wouldn't criticise him, I think it's personal preference and what you feel happier using. Who really knows why a fish picks up a bait then decides to drop it? But all you can do is weigh it up and come to a reasoned decision.
Good point Gus, who knows..
I've caught pike on heavy semi fixed rigs and tightened up baitrunners to overcome flow, tow etc, they would probably have taken the bait with a house brick attached. I've also caught pike over 20lbs from just a single bleep and no more movement, then just tightened down for a "feel" and there was a fish there. All depends on the day and who really knows which day it is. Just go out and do your thing.

mcleans99sn
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by mcleans99sn » Tue Jan 28 2020 20:02

paul_sheff wrote:
backBiters also don’t suffer from false bites in the worse of weathers that front alarms and swingers can suffer due to cross winds and waves hitting the line ,
I produce and sell both drop off indicators and electronic backbiter alarms , find my sponsor banner on this forum or visit my website www.billysbackbiters.com you can also find me on Facebook again Billys backbiters

Paul
Thanks Paul, I see that you have your own Drop off similar to the RAD drop offs. I don't have a backbiter alarm but do you sell a drop off similar to the RAD that can fit on Buzz bars and bank sticks?

Thanks,

Scott

paul_sheff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by paul_sheff » Tue Jan 28 2020 21:39

Thanks Paul, I see that you have your own Drop off similar to the RAD drop offs. I don't have a backbiter alarm but do you sell a drop off similar to the RAD that can fit on Buzz bars and bank sticks?

Thanks,

Scott
[/quote]

Inboxed you mate
Www.billysbackbiters.co.uk
E-mail Paul_billysbackbiters.co.uk
Also find us on Facebook