Big Big Trouble in the PAC

Keep up to date with all the latest news from the Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Big Big Trouble in the PAC

Post by Crackoff »

Eric Edwards
Has resigned his life membership and has left the Pike Anglers Club,
He says he will not be returning.
This is due to the actions of outgoing (?) secretary John Currie.
This means the PAC has lost two Liaison officers in less than a year, both due to Currie's actions.

The RO of region 31 has offered his resignation for the same reason.

Thats a real shame :cry:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Big Big Trouble in the PAC

Post by suffolk si »

I don’t know what this is about but I would say( as I think would most) John is a hugely proactive, passionate bloke and has done immense amounts of work for the future of essox and its environment . I think most (including myself)would say he’s been one of the most determined and hard working men that has been involved with the PAC πŸ‘
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Eric Edwards falls out with PAC committee and resigns from the club. Hasn't this happened before?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25 2021 09:32 -
Eric Edwards falls out with PAC committee and resigns from the club. Hasn't this happened before?
Yes. It happened over the controversial 'water fund' Β£1 increase in the membership fees in the 1990s.

It was introduced so that the PAC could fulfill its constitutional pledge to run its own pike water (for the benefit of all members) which was achieved with the groundbreaking Fox Pool experiment.

It was a huge success, but not everyone approved initially.

Eric was among a few high profile 'resignations' and dire predictions that members would leave in droves over it.

They didn't. The following year the PAC achieved a record membership of 2200 and Fox Pool proved so popular that it was quickly apparent it would be entirely self-financing, so the 'water fund' was dropped.

I'm very pleased that Eric (and others) subsequently came back into the fold - and his contribution to the PAC continued to be immense - which makes me very sorry to hear of his departure from the club.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

John Milford wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25 2021 11:50 -
davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25 2021 09:32 -
Yes. It happened over the controversial 'water fund' Β£1 increase in the membership fees in the 1990s.

It was introduced so that the PAC could fulfill its constitutional pledge to run its own pike water (for the benefit of all members) which was achieved with the groundbreaking Fox Pool experiment.

It was a huge success, but not everyone approved initially.

Eric was among a few high profile 'resignations' and dire predictions that members would leave in droves over it.

They didn't. The following year the PAC achieved a record membership of 2200 and Fox Pool proved so popular that it was quickly apparent it would be entirely self-financing, so the 'water fund' was dropped.

I'm very pleased that Eric (and others) subsequently came back into the fold - and his contribution to the PAC continued to be immense - which makes me very sorry to hear of his departure from the club.
Your right John it was Eric's that got me to join the PAC back in the day :thumbs:

And when he ran region 31 in St. Helens it was very successful and he told me of this rod bider working from Chorley who became a good friend of mine even if we don't see each-other often but don't tell him that.

And at that time we used to go up and down the country watching slid shows at other regions.

And Jon Paul has left as well
18D715D8-C60A-44FA-A1AA-286549BDB86E_1_105_c.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25 2021 08:28 -
I don’t know what this is about but I would say( as I think would most) John is a hugely proactive, passionate bloke and has done immense amounts of work for the future of essox and its environment . I think most (including myself)would say he’s been one of the most determined and hard working men that has been involved with the PAC πŸ‘
I don't know the full sp Si I just know he's left :scratch:

Cheers

steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25 2021 08:28 -
Eco that :thumbs:
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

You cant effect change from the outside.... dont get all this dummy throwing stuff every few years....

I would guess many like me have a lot of time and respect for both Eric and JC. I guess it will all come out in the end but hope it gets ironed out.

I thought the PAC announcement commending JC was great and echo Si's comments above. He puts himself out and goes much further than the extra mile.
Love the hit!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28 2021 23:53 -
You cant effect change from the outside.... dont get all this dummy throwing stuff every few years....

I would guess many like me have a lot of time and respect for both Eric and JC. I guess it will all come out in the end but hope it gets ironed out.

I thought the PAC announcement commending JC was great and echo Si's comments above. He puts himself out and goes much further than the extra mile.

2 characters Kev with conviction, obviously a rub somewhere, unfortunately going off with a grand gesture is not likely to win friends or influence, accepting a difference and agreeing to disagree is probably a better way, sounds like a bun fight at the ok corral.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Eric can fall out with himself! :laughs:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

davelumb wrote: ↑Thu Apr 29 2021 22:32 -
:laughs:

You have to :worthy: to him so he will talk to you sometimes :roll:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Crackoff wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30 2021 15:00 -

:giggle:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

By chance, I was talking to Eric yesterday and he explained to me why he left, it all sounded very reasonable to me. And if I may add, I have always found him to be very approachable, friendly and helpful, unlike some of the guys in our piking world that I have had the misfortune of meeting over the years.

Will.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Me to Will... Eric has always been approachable.

Still think he has a lot to offer from within even if something has gone pear shaped. typically all being a bit cloak n dagger at the PAC
Last edited by Kevin O'Keeffe on Sun May 16 2021 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Love the hit!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Will Smith wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30 2021 21:17 -

By chance, I was talking to Eric yesterday and he explained to me why he left, it all sounded very reasonable to me. And if I may add, I have always found him to be very approachable, friendly and helpful, unlike some of the guys in our piking world that I have had the misfortune of meeting over the years.

Will.
Bumped into Eric a few years ago on a certain canal. Didnt see him till we packed up to move to another water as he was round the bend πŸ˜‚ anyway we stopped ten minutes or so for a chat and put the world to rights.
Just before we went he asked what went on with those 6 match lads....they went round the bend, then we heard a lot of shouting then someone saying "f**k off elsewhere or youre going in fat lad" then they came back past us grumbling about "fecking pike anglers"
We said we never heard owt :laughs:

Erics ok, bit of a prima donna at times but his hearts in the right place
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I think Eric has been very ill in the not too recent past.

We've not always seen eye to eye in the past but I've nothing but respect for him. It's sad to hear he's broken with the club for whatever reason. I hope things resolve themselves.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

Why the Sun/Mirror headline?? 2 pike anglers have had a disagreement!!

FFS Cracker get a grip. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i have met and spoken with Eric a few times in the past ,at a slide show in haydock and on some other pike forums ,
always talked good sense to me , he definitely puts some hours in on the bank resulting in some cracking fish ......
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

I wondered why he had joined PAAS :roll:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Tony McTaggart wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11 2021 01:35 -
I wondered why he had joined PAAS :roll:
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

I believe Erics resignation was over a thread about otters on the PAC forum which got a bit heated. Eric and a n other were admins and decided to stop any further comments being made. As admins I am sure that they were doing their job. However, it appears that MR C did not agree with their actions and Eric was told that it would be a PAC commitee decision to block threads on their forum not the admins. Eric wasn`t best pleased and handed in his resignation . Another Regional Organiser also resigned but he has now gone back I think. This might not be the full story so please don`t take me to task over what I have written. It`s just what I have been told
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Graham Benyon wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20 2021 17:36 -
I believe Erics resignation was over a thread about otters on the PAC forum which got a bit heated. Eric and a n other were admins and decided to stop any further comments being made. As admins I am sure that they were doing their job. However, it appears that MR C did not agree with their actions and Eric was told that it would be a PAC commitee decision to block threads on their forum not the admins. Eric wasn`t best pleased and handed in his resignation . Another Regional Organiser also resigned but he has now gone back I think. This might not be the full story so please don`t take me to task over what I have written. It`s just what I have been told
Eric spitting his dummy (again) is 'big, big trouble'? :roll: :laughs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

A thread on the PAC forum that got heated? :scratch:

I look in on there every few weeks, hoping to find something to join in on.

Usually there have been only two or three new posts since my last visit!

I really don't know why there is such little activity (and genuinely wish there was more) but it is usually incredibly quiet. :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

John Milford wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20 2021 23:18 -

I really don't know why there is such little activity (and genuinely wish there was more) but it is usually incredibly quiet. :shrug:
There PAC forum has been tumble weed town for years........
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

The original PAC forum was pretty active, it went quiet when PAC went Facebook.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21 2021 08:11 -

The Pit has a Facebook presence too Lumby, but that hasn't caused a decline in the forum. :shrug:

I see them as two entirely different things with fundamentally different habitual inhabitants.

A forum is highly structured - with defined sections and titled threads, where posts are organised into pages.

Everything on a forum is searchable and retrievable. Forum posts even show up in search engines.

Facebook is mostly instant and 'throw-away' in comparison - fire and forget. I don't know about anyone else, but Facebook quickly slows and eventually freezes whenever I attempt to scroll down to any depth in search of something old.

(There is perhaps a difference with FB 'groups', compared to individual profiles).
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21 2021 10:08 -

The Pit has a Facebook presence too Lumby, but that hasn't caused a decline in the forum. :shrug:

I see them as two entirely different things with fundamentally different habitual inhabitants.

A forum is highly structured - with defined sections and titled threads, where posts are organised into pages.

Everything on a forum is searchable and retrievable. Forum posts even show up in search engines.

Facebook is instant and 'throw-away' in comparison - fire and forget. I don't know about anyone else, but Facebook quickly slows and eventually freezes whenever I attempt to scroll down to any depth in search of something old.
I know what you're saying John, those features you list are why I loathe Facebook, but it appears that is where the PAC is at these days. :shrug:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Facebook is instant and 'throw-away' in comparison - fire and forget. I don't know about anyone else, but Facebook quickly slows and eventually freezes whenever I attempt to scroll down to any depth in search of something old.
We have one but is barely updated. Its intention was to highlight forum topics and drive people here for discussion. I deleted my facebook account ages ago so its updated even less these days.

From what I seen the pac fb page was a massive s**t show with post being deleted left right and centre at one point :shrug: maybe pac just has an authoritarian problem no matter if its fb or their forum πŸ€”
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21 2021 10:17 -

We have one but is barely updated. Its intention was to highlight forum topics and drive people here for discussion. I deleted my facebook account ages ago so its updated even less these days.

From what I seen the pac fb page was a massive s**t show with post being deleted left right and centre at one point :shrug: maybe pac just has an authoritarian problem no matter if its fb or their forum πŸ€”
The difference is that the PAC use FB groups and they have two for non member and member, then they have a FB page. The Pit just uses the FB page.

So if people want to make comments or ask advise on the PAC FB groups they post topics rather than use the PAC forum.......the PAC forum is dead as long as the PAC FB groups exist i'm afraid......
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20 2021 18:08 -
Graham Benyon wrote: ↑Sun Jun 20 2021 17:36 -
Eric spitting his dummy (again) is 'big, big trouble'? :roll: :laughs:
I didn`t say it was Dave. :scratch: I merely tried to give an explanation as to why it happened :neutral: