PAC General Secretary's Statement on Warm Water Pike Fishing

Keep up to date with all the latest news from the Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain
Dave Mutton
Stickleback
Stickleback

PAC General Secretary's Statement on Warm Water Pike Fishing

Post by Dave Mutton »

Statement from PAC General Secretary, Dick Culpin:

THE PIKE ANGLERS CLUB AND THE ENVIRONMENT AGENCY STANCE ON WARM WATER PIKING IN THE NORFOLK BROADS

After many years of lobbying by the PAC we at last have the support of the Environment Agency in relation to preventing pike fishing in warm water conditions. Attempts to introduce a Bye Law prohibiting such fishing have not yet materialised but a campaign to draw the attention of anglers to the real danger to pike when caught in warm water conditions is being launched in the Norfolk Broads and hopefully elsewhere. This will include posters that will be distributed throughout East Anglia in tackle shops, boatyards and in public places. Fact sheets are also being made available to anglers and the general public alike.

None of this would have been possible without the tenacity and determination of the former PAC General Secretary John Currie and the input of the Norwich and District Pike Club and we should all be grateful that their efforts have resulted in this positive development.

We hope that with the endorsement of the Environmental Agency anglers will take a responsible and sensible approach to fishing for pike in unsuitable water conditions. The reality is that many pike that are caught in warm water suffer and die as a result and we at the Pike Anglers Club will, with the support of other organisations, always look to welfare of the pike as a priority.

We are grateful to the Environment Agency for their support on this very important issue.

Dick Culpin
General Secretary of the Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain
PAC Press & Media Manager
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: PAC General Secretary's Statement on Warm Water Pike Fishing

Post by suffolk si »

Excellent news :clap:
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Great work Lads 😎
Andy Sewell
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Good job well done but won’t stop people.
They put signs up saying don’t take fish but they still do 🙄
That Perkins !!! 😂
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

When did the PAC itself take this stance in writing regarding summer pike fishing
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Alex Fox wrote: Sat Feb 26 2022 12:11 -
When did the PAC itself take this stance in writing regarding summer pike fishing
When Norfolk took over.
John Currie
Chub
Chub

Post by John Currie »

I still believe a ban should be in place in the Broads and part of the Fens.The need can be backed by science and that has been accepted by EA.I don't believe a nationwide ban will ever be put in place as the science isnt there to back it .To be clear this is my opinion ,I'm not speaking for pac.
MrBen
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MrBen »

What temperature is considered to be warm?
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

Wont stop the noddies, saw one today on a local gravel pit, deadbait under a bung drifting about while said noddy lay back looking at the sky with a can of lager in hand!!!!!!!!!!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

its just common sense i have been bleating on about this for a long number of years , the pikes welfare comes first , just stop fishing end of march till end oct

fook me its not the end of the world , just fish for something else .......and this way we can all enjoy catching fit and healthy pike later on ....simples
i for one would give my vote for banning warm water piking and i bet most on here would too..