Rudd.......

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Post Reply
User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Roach
Roach
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Rudd.......

Post by Flipflopjoe » Tue May 14 2019 12:38

..........on a Mepps :scratch:
0F00EC3F-4D54-4462-ACB2-710554E471DA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dropped_run
Perch
Perch
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Rudd.......

Post by dropped_run » Tue May 14 2019 13:25

rudd are brilliant targets on lures. So aggressive. Scale the gear down and you can catch them almost as quickly as perch at times. Great fun sight fishing to the bigger ones
James Dobie.

User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Roach
Roach
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Flipflopjoe » Tue May 14 2019 13:35

I wasn’t aware they took lures! I am now obviously !
I’ll be targeting them again coz as you say, the take was pretty awesome considering the size of the fish !

I also had a decent sized mirror carp make a run at a little paddle tail jelly I had on !
That would have been fun on my little 5-10g rod :eek:

User avatar
dropped_run
Perch
Perch
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Rudd.......

Post by dropped_run » Tue May 14 2019 14:36

The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
James Dobie.

Daniel
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lincoln

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Daniel » Tue May 14 2019 18:40

dropped_run wrote:
The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
Any recommendations on grubs James?
I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!

User avatar
dropped_run
Perch
Perch
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Rudd.......

Post by dropped_run » Tue May 14 2019 19:28

Daniel wrote:
dropped_run wrote:
The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
Any recommendations on grubs James?
I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!
Crazy fish whitebait are quite good. Tiny little things but everything sucks them in. They are like a maggot with a little tail. You get 20 in a multi coloured pack as well which is handy as colour made a difference. Put red on and you're guaranteed millions of perch no matter what. Roach definitely preferred lime green. White is quite a good colour.

Big bite ballsy worms as well if they are happy taking slightly "bigger" stuff.

AGM have such a selection on there it's a job to know where to start. Presentation always beat lure style. As slow a fall as possible (have a Google for tungsten beads plus for weights).

Gear wise I was using a 0.7 to 7g rod which was OK for it. Obviously with teeny weights on you're never going to be casting miles anyway

I think I managed 8 species one session, without a pike or a zander amongst them. Trundle along the bottom and gudgeon go barmy for it
James Dobie.

Daniel
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lincoln

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Daniel » Tue May 14 2019 20:00

dropped_run wrote:
Daniel wrote:
dropped_run wrote:
The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
Any recommendations on grubs James?
I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!
Crazy fish whitebait are quite good. Tiny little things but everything sucks them in. They are like a maggot with a little tail. You get 20 in a multi coloured pack as well which is handy as colour made a difference. Put red on and you're guaranteed millions of perch no matter what. Roach definitely preferred lime green. White is quite a good colour.

Big bite ballsy worms as well if they are happy taking slightly "bigger" stuff.

AGM have such a selection on there it's a job to know where to start. Presentation always beat lure style. As slow a fall as possible (have a Google for tungsten beads plus for weights).

Gear wise I was using a 0.7 to 7g rod which was OK for it. Obviously with teeny weights on you're never going to be casting miles anyway

I think I managed 8 species one session, without a pike or a zander amongst them. Trundle along the bottom and gudgeon go barmy for it
I knew you were going to say agm, it'll have to wait until I need other stuff.
Going on that site without a fixed idea of what I want ends up costing me a fortune as I browse around just chucking stuff in the basket!!

User avatar
dropped_run
Perch
Perch
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Rudd.......

Post by dropped_run » Tue May 14 2019 20:58

Daniel wrote:
dropped_run wrote:
Daniel wrote:
dropped_run wrote:
The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
Any recommendations on grubs James?
I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!
Crazy fish whitebait are quite good. Tiny little things but everything sucks them in. They are like a maggot with a little tail. You get 20 in a multi coloured pack as well which is handy as colour made a difference. Put red on and you're guaranteed millions of perch no matter what. Roach definitely preferred lime green. White is quite a good colour.

Big bite ballsy worms as well if they are happy taking slightly "bigger" stuff.

AGM have such a selection on there it's a job to know where to start. Presentation always beat lure style. As slow a fall as possible (have a Google for tungsten beads plus for weights).

Gear wise I was using a 0.7 to 7g rod which was OK for it. Obviously with teeny weights on you're never going to be casting miles anyway

I think I managed 8 species one session, without a pike or a zander amongst them. Trundle along the bottom and gudgeon go barmy for it
I knew you were going to say agm, it'll have to wait until I need other stuff.
Going on that site without a fixed idea of what I want ends up costing me a fortune as I browse around just chucking stuff in the basket!!

I'll have a look when I get home tomorrow. Im sure I've got a load of bits somewhere (midst of the dreaded decorating).
I'll see what I can put together and send you a load of stuff. I sold all my light rods etc but I must have some lures/weights left somewhere.
James Dobie.

Daniel
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lincoln

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Daniel » Tue May 14 2019 21:25

dropped_run wrote:
Daniel wrote:
dropped_run wrote:
Daniel wrote:
dropped_run wrote:
The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
Any recommendations on grubs James?
I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!
Crazy fish whitebait are quite good. Tiny little things but everything sucks them in. They are like a maggot with a little tail. You get 20 in a multi coloured pack as well which is handy as colour made a difference. Put red on and you're guaranteed millions of perch no matter what. Roach definitely preferred lime green. White is quite a good colour.

Big bite ballsy worms as well if they are happy taking slightly "bigger" stuff.

AGM have such a selection on there it's a job to know where to start. Presentation always beat lure style. As slow a fall as possible (have a Google for tungsten beads plus for weights).

Gear wise I was using a 0.7 to 7g rod which was OK for it. Obviously with teeny weights on you're never going to be casting miles anyway

I think I managed 8 species one session, without a pike or a zander amongst them. Trundle along the bottom and gudgeon go barmy for it
I knew you were going to say agm, it'll have to wait until I need other stuff.
Going on that site without a fixed idea of what I want ends up costing me a fortune as I browse around just chucking stuff in the basket!!

I'll have a look when I get home tomorrow. Im sure I've got a load of bits somewhere (midst of the dreaded decorating).
I'll see what I can put together and send you a load of stuff. I sold all my light rods etc but I must have some lures/weights left somewhere.
That'd be great but no worries if you can't find anything, I'm sure it won't be long before I think of a reason why I need another crankbait and just happen to throw some tiny stuff in the basket to make it worthwhile on the postage :laughs:

User avatar
Mike J
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Mike J » Wed May 15 2019 08:34

For a bit of summer fun try using a fly, something small and fluffy in the tip and a beaded nymph on a dropper.
Ive also caught them by fishing a tiny 16 or 18 pheasant tail nymph on a pat rig while fishing a corn, maggot or bread on the bottom hook.
Ive also tried floating bread with a cotton bud as bait, sometimes its crazy, on others you'd think the place was empty.
Apart from Rudd all Ive tangled with are a few carp, but never managed to land any!

Fordey
Perch
Perch
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Oct 28 2011 05:00

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Fordey » Wed May 15 2019 22:58

Don't think it's a pure rudd, more likely rudd/roach hybrid.. Bream are also quite predatory at this time of year, had them on 7" spoons, and big plugs!

Neville Fickling
Zander
Zander
Posts: 8175
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Neville Fickling » Thu May 16 2019 08:33

Not enough rays in the a**l fin to be a bream Rudd hybrid

Neville Fickling
Zander
Zander
Posts: 8175
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Neville Fickling » Thu May 16 2019 08:34

You obviously cannot say an. Al On here

Daniel
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lincoln

Re: Rudd.......

Post by Daniel » Thu May 16 2019 18:14

Forgot all about this beauty from last year, taken on one of my homemade 2" toads.
Screenshot_20190516-180719.png
Screenshot_20190516-180957.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Fatchap
Gudgeon
Gudgeon
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 05 2017 15:48

Re: Rudd.......

Post by The Fatchap » Thu May 16 2019 19:04

Beware of the very predatory Amber Rudd.

Post Reply