Lure museum

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Lure museum

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 09:31 -
Woolies still sold fishing tackle in 1982. Pretty sure most of it was re-branded Shakespeare stuff.

They did, got my first rod from Woolies around then. 10 feet float rod, black and white. If you took the but cap off, the blank was in a purple colour.

Also the great thing about Woolies, you could eat the pic and mix sweets when no one was looking. :smile:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Danoutdoors wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 09:13 -
jonsykes wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 00:16 -
Dan ... is this something like it?
Yes a fair bit like that John, think I remember it not tapering much and the eyes were proud not recessed, good 25 years since I last saw it, remember it not having much of a wiggle but it still caught pike, also not sure if it had 2 or 3 trebles
You can have that one if you pay the post, give it a swim.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

jonsykes wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 10:52 -
Danoutdoors wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 09:13 -
jonsykes wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 00:16 -
Dan ... is this something like it?
Yes a fair bit like that John, think I remember it not tapering much and the eyes were proud not recessed, good 25 years since I last saw it, remember it not having much of a wiggle but it still caught pike, also not sure if it had 2 or 3 trebles
You can have that one if you pay the post, give it a swim.
John that would be very kind and I’ll take you up on that please, pm me your pay pal, I’m thinking about taking my son who’s 3 and catching the first pike he sees with the same lures that my dad used all those years ago, wouldn’t that be something! Thanks again John
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

The Pit has a 'virtual Lure Museum' of sorts here (If you've got a spare hour or two! :pipe: ).

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=34612
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

John Milford wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 11:18 -
The Pit has a 'virtual Lure Museum' of sorts here (If you've got a spare hour or two! :pipe: ).

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=34612
If I’m not careful i’m going to become a collector😱
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Anyone still use vintage lures? I know they are valuable but still the feeling of catching on them must be quite fulfilling
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Danoutdoors wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 11:29 -
Anyone still use vintage lures? I know they are valuable but still the feeling of catching on them must be quite fulfilling
All the time :thumbs:
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

There is a lure museum of sorts on Vancouver cant remember where. Showed how they stamped out spoons and loads on display
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Anything 30 years or more is considered vintage, so there is plenty to go at. There really is no need to be chucking any weird and strange contraptions :clap: :smile:
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Talking of lures I still have a black Arbogast Jittabug that I was given on my 13th Birthday back in 1973.I dug it out a few years ago and tried it on the Trent for a bit of chub fishing but I soon lost my bottle and quickly put it back in the box.Its only about an inch long but it’s been with me for over 46 years now and would be gutted if I lost it.
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

jonsykes wrote: Mon Jan 20 2020 19:26 -
Mr Milford has one.
Trying to get Mr Milford to set one up at the LAS Lurefair!
We'd love it!
Peter Newman
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

This guy has a few :wink:
D549A6BC-2C83-4E0C-A6D3-623E42D213C3_1_105_c.jpeg
Grant :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

peteren wrote: Wed Jan 22 2020 09:49 -
jonsykes wrote: Mon Jan 20 2020 19:26 -
Mr Milford has one.
Trying to get Mr Milford to set one up at the LAS Lurefair!
We'd love it!

I would imagine 95% of those people attending on the day, would not know a Heddon from a Hedgehog? I'm told boy wonder the new 'BFS Queen' has designed a new BFS rig. :grin:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
poacher_no1
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by poacher_no1 »

some of the tackle shops I''ve been to look like the museum :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I still use my 1970's Cisco Kids, and they still catch as well as they have ever done, but only in stillwaters, but Ive never caught a fish on them in rivers?

If I could only choose one lure to use forever it would be Cisco Kid, Ive fished them for so long I can almost make them talk.

My first pike was caught on this (sorry can't find it - yet)!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Mike J wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 12:27 -

I still use my 1970's Cisco Kids, and they still catch as well as they have ever done, but only in stillwaters, but Ive never caught a fish on them in rivers?

If I could only choose one lure to use forever it would be Cisco Kid, Ive fished them for so long I can almost make them talk.

I had the hardest take I've ever experienced on a 'Husky' Cisco Kid. The pike punctured it clean through - and was gone . . . . . :sad:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

John Milford wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 22:49 -

I had the hardest take I've ever experienced on a 'Husky' Cisco Kid. The pike punctured it clean through - and was gone . . . . . :sad:

That must have been some hit John, the Husky is a seriously big lure especially at the time it was in production.
Teeth holes are the one problem with all the old Kid lures, pike teeth go through them, though with mine its been a slow wearing down process over 20+ fish or so. All my regulars have a good coating of araldite plus as much as I can get inside the hanger holes, the hardest part is drying them out inside before the araldite is melted on.
With river levels so high my final weeks are going to be spent swimming my Kids and a selection of other vintage lures in a place that doesn't (seem to) have any pike in it.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Mike J wrote: Mon Feb 24 2020 09:40 -
John Milford wrote: Sun Feb 23 2020 22:49 -

That must have been some hit John, the Husky is a seriously big lure especially at the time it was in production.
Teeth holes are the one problem with all the old Kid lures, pike teeth go through them, though with mine its been a slow wearing down process over 20+ fish or so. All my regulars have a good coating of araldite plus as much as I can get inside the hanger holes, the hardest part is drying them out inside before the araldite is melted on.
With river levels so high my final weeks are going to be spent swimming my Kids and a selection of other vintage lures in a place that doesn't (seem to) have any pike in it.
The plastic Pikies from the 80s onwards were bad for puncturing too, so much so i wouldnt have one given now....rather make my own wood versions. Are they the floating Cisco Kids youre using Mike? I never owned any floaters apart from one giant version, but did ok on the 7" countdowns on the lochs in deeper water. The giant ended up stuck on the far bank of a Yorks river years ago but it did catch a few prior to that, nothing big though :cry: