Spinning Bulldogs

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Spinning Bulldogs

Post by Fordey » Sun Sep 12 2021 13:11

Does anyone have a cure for their shallow dogs spinning? Has happened to a couple of mine, very frustrating. Would like to hear from someone else before I start messing about with them.

Ian

giantlureguy
Roach
Roach

Re: Spinning Bulldogs

Post by giantlureguy » Mon Sep 13 2021 04:16

muskie anglers often have issiues with big rubber baits not running the way they want it to out of the box.

They often bend the internal harness u til the desired swimming action is found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD8mpmKqCV0

on this muskie forum, a user recommended bending the nise down as a fix.

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/ ... mid=229466

Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey » Mon Sep 13 2021 11:12

giantlureguy wrote:
muskie anglers often have issiues with big rubber baits not running the way they want it to out of the box.

They often bend the internal harness u til the desired swimming action is found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD8mpmKqCV0

on this muskie forum, a user recommended bending the nise down as a fix.

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/ ... mid=229466
Cheers I'll give it a try!

Pikerd74
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Pikerd74 » Mon Sep 13 2021 13:10

I had a Curly Sue lure which did the same if retrieved too quickly, I removed the front hook and attached a nut over the split ring, giving more weight it worked much better.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Tue Sep 14 2021 22:13

Just needs tinkering with, by the method referred to above - you just re-shape the internal harness and it's case of trial/error to get working in a level plane. Having said that, I've caught on spinning dawgs... you do get the odd going our of kilter, usually after it's been chewed up on a take or removed from a fish. As long as the tail is moving, your bait will catch pike.
Piking Plonker

Lukemilnes
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Lukemilnes » Tue Sep 14 2021 22:38

Screw a belly weight into the underneath?

A similar thing can happen to shallow rigged soft plastics, one of the reasons we use the pikecraft angled screw system. Lifts the point of rotation for the lure higher up

giantlureguy
Roach
Roach

Post by giantlureguy » Tue Sep 14 2021 22:39

the probleme with adding weight on the bottom is that you lose the shallow dawg's abilityto swim in really shallow waters. Altough it would be the easiest fix.

Lukemilnes
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Lukemilnes » Tue Sep 14 2021 22:50

That's true! Embrace the spin :grin:

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Sep 21 2021 15:22

Mark Phillips wrote:
Just needs tinkering with, by the method referred to above - you just re-shape the internal harness and it's case of trial/error to get working in a level plane. Having said that, I've caught on spinning dawgs... you do get the odd going our of kilter, usually after it's been chewed up on a take or removed from a fish. As long as the tail is moving, your bait will catch pike.
Reminds me of the Squirrely burt discusions... They dont run straight, they swerve off to the side etc etc. Those ones often get sold on... but often catch more pike.
Love the hit!

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Sep 21 2021 15:24

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
Reminds me of the Squirrely burt discusions... They dont run straight, they swerve off to the side etc etc. Those ones often get sold on... but often catch more pike.
Don't tell them Pike! :laughs:

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Sep 21 2021 15:33

davelumb wrote:
Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
Don't tell them Pike! :laughs:
Dont tell them pike or the anglers who think those Sq B's are s***e! :wink:
Love the hit!