Castaic boot tails

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
CraigG
Perch
Perch

Castaic boot tails

Post by CraigG »

Anyone using the newer models? Is there any issues with the build quality of the hardware?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Castaic boot tails

Post by Mike J »

The originals were brilliant.
When production moved East the quality plummeted.
I seem to remember Sovereign baits had so much trouble they now produce their own, certainly worth giving him a call.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

The slow sinks are the worst affected. With the old foam harness they sank horizontally and were quite durable. Then they changed the harness for some unknown reason and now they sink nose first and get ripped to shreds in no time.

There are better options these days to buy as loose bodies and rig yourself :thumbs:
CraigG
Perch
Perch

Post by CraigG »

I must have the newer ones as the harnesses feel slightly flimsy. So intend on externally rigging them, just incase. They've been sitting in my lure storage for years and I've never used them and fancy trying them.

I must admit, I've not seen anything on the market as supple in plastic as the castaics.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

CraigG wrote: Fri Oct 22 2021 12:52 -
I must have the newer ones as the harnesses feel slightly flimsy. So intend on externally rigging them, just incase. They've been sitting in my lure storage for years and I've never used them and fancy trying them.

I must admit, I've not seen anything on the market as supple in plastic as the castaics.
Have a look at the SG Herring Shads and River Roach. Both are very good softbait options, particularly when rigged with their corkscrew heads and a pair of trebles.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Oct 22 2021 13:16 -
CraigG wrote: Fri Oct 22 2021 12:52 -

Have a look at the SG Herring Shads and River Roach. Both are very good softbait options, particularly when rigged with their corkscrew heads and a pair of trebles.
He's right into his savergear is Craig :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Tony McTaggart wrote: Sun Oct 24 2021 13:09 -
He's right into his savergear is Craig :laughs:
To be fair, their softbaits are generally very good. I've used almost all of their hardbait offerings and don't rate any of them, but there you go!