The Lure Fishing Calender And Diary

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

The Lure Fishing Calender And Diary

Post by Taffypiker »

I have put up a similar post in the pike forum , maybe it will replicate this

I start fishing with lures ......and always with a light wire trace after advice on here from March in two local rivers for wild brown trout right through till September. Of course these rivers being mixed fisheries I pick up perch , chub and a few pike during this time even if I am not specifically going for them .

I find the best hours for trout are early morning and evening , I do catch when the sun is up but rarely big fish .

From September onwards and obviously especially from October I am after pike and perch in the same rivers. Again morning and evening I have found best but have had fish on bright , sunny days .

Once the winter is in I just get out for a few hours from 11 till 3 till the sun goes down . Murky days are best round here .

If anyone goes out any time any weather and catches good on ya but that's my lure fishing diary

Tight lines
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: The Lure Fishing Calender And Diary

Post by Taffypiker »

Well i thought this was a cracker of a thread!
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Well I thought someone was advertising a lure fishing calendar, so didn't read this thread! So maybe I'll post later when I have time! :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

All my piking career I always disliked using lures or any moving bait on sunny days. Then I moved abroad and started trolling for tuna.
Tuna are a species often feed well as the sun comes up and I noticed the locals always pulled their lures with the sun on their backs. Then the lightbulb moment, the tuna are attacking to lures with the sun behind them so they cannot be seen, same as a fighter plane coming out of the sun. When I returned to the UK I fished the same and its worked :grin:

:thumbs:

Bright sun today and Im going for a few hours.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 02 2021 10:41 -
All my piking career I always disliked using lures or any moving bait on sunny days. Then I moved abroad and started trolling for tuna.
Tuna are a species often feed well as the sun comes up and I noticed the locals always pulled their lures with the sun on their backs. Then the lightbulb moment, the tuna are attacking to lures with the sun behind them so they cannot be seen, same as a fighter plane coming out of the sun. When I returned to the UK I fished the same and its worked :grin:

The same principles applies with fish facing into the current. Not only do most lures work best cast slightly down stream, the fish also has more time to see it and react. Too much light though, and they could well see too much and make it out as a fake. So seasonally, it can be a balance between getting the pike to see the lure and not seeing too much of it. Of course, in cloudier water when pike can't see the lure it's best to offer them something that vibrates more and has a rattle in.

Then one has to couple all that with speed of retrieve and the perceived mood of the pike. And that's a books worth when combined with seasonality.

I have a pike fly fishing book at home that goes into this in depth. I'll dig it out later and reference it!

On rivers some anglers recommend casting to whatever bank is sunniest early mornings! Oddly enough, with my fish finder I've noticed that there's way more fish on the sunnier side on the Thames into the evening!
Last edited by Pinkie on Sat Dec 04 2021 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Mastering Pike on the Fly, by Barry Reynolds

This books worth a read with regards to the pike fishing calander. It's based in the States but the information is equally applicable to the UK.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Any luck ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Pinkie wrote: Thu Dec 02 2021 11:59 -

The same Prince applies with fish facing into the current. Not only do most lures work best cast slightly down stream, the fish also has more time to see it and react. Too much light though, and they could well see too much and make it out as a fake. So seasonally, it can be a balance between getting the pike to see the lure and not seeing too much of it. Of course, in cloudier water when pike can't see the lure it's best to offer them something that vibrates more and has a rattle in.

Then one has to couple all that with speed of retrieve and the perceived mood of the pike. And that's a books worth when combined with seasonality.

I have a pike fly fishing book at home that goes into this in depth. I'll dig it out later and reference it!

On rivers some anglers recommend casting to whatever bank is sunniest early mornings! Oddly enough, with my fish finder I've noticed that there's way more fish on the sunnier side on the Thames into the evening!
I always tend to cast upstream
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Taffypiker wrote: Thu Dec 02 2021 19:42 -

Any luck ?

No, I had a looksee but there was heaven knows what coming downstream, road salt from the overnight rain combined making it a horrible grey colour.
Went to a small stream and caught a few grayling then lost a float on a snag, my first loss for years.

How did you do?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Out of season brownie , tiny perch