What Colour Braid?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

What Colour Braid?

Post by Pinkie »

Simple question! Does it make any difference as to what colour braid one uses for lure fishing when you tie braid direct to the trace?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: What Colour Braid?

Post by John Milford »

None that I've ever noticed, Pinkie.

I've used everything from hi-viz yellow to drab green and most of them have wound up a sandy beige with use.

Lure Fishing is not really a tactic for shy fish, so it's never concerned me one way or the other.

There is something to be said for higher visibility colours 'helping' with line control, but not much.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I use low vis dark green on for all my braid, but as john says above, I don’t really think it matters, just my preference.
I had a big discussion on another forum about this when I first started lure fishing for bass and the general consensus was that it made no difference if you had dark low vis colours or fluorescent colours. In fact my first batch was bright yellow and I caught bass and pike using it.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Didn't effect me using purple.
On my first day on the Avon I used my jigging reel with 10 colour braid, just so happened purple was attached to the swivel, first fish was a......yes you've guessed it!

:laughs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Excellent, thanks! Have just put hi-viz yellow on a reel so it's great to know it shouldn't make any difference. I prefer to see where the line enters the water! Also makes it easier to see when the trace appears!
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

I use bright pink and orange on my Bass rods for visibility with no issue. Not got a Pike lure setup fully sorted yet so no comment on that score
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Hi-vis yellow
Made no difference when lure fishing
Regards
Tom
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

having filmed underwater footage on various pike rigs , braid stands out like a sore thumb TBH..... thats to the human eye, , compared to mono , or flouro carbon line
but the pike are not looking at your lines only your baits or lures , please dont get hung up over braid/mono when pike fishing .....they just dont notice it , they dont even spook off it even when they swim into it, not like carp do ... thats in my experience
dont think it matters what colour it is too....or diameter for that matter.......
got my braid spools mixed up a while back and ended up fishing with 100lb plus braid on my deadbait reel , still caught fish ... 6 actually :thumbs:

stubbo
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Dec 04 2021 23:31 -
having filmed underwater footage on various pike rigs , braid stands out like a sore thumb TBH..... thats to the human eye, , compared to mono , or flouro carbon line
but the pike are not looking at your lines only your baits or lures , please dont get hung up over braid/mono when pike fishing .....they just dont notice it , they dont even spook off it even when they swim into it, not like carp do ... thats in my experience
dont think it matters what colour it is too....or diameter for that matter.......
got my braid spools mixed up a while back and ended up fishing with 100lb plus braid on my deadbait reel , still caught fish ... 6 actually :thumbs:

stubbo
Cheers, yes I can easily believe that pike don't notice the line, as I've caught so many that haven't even noticed my boat as they've followed a big fly in and then just stayed within a few feet whilst I reoffered them the fly near their nose! :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Pinkie wrote: Sat Dec 04 2021 19:34 -
Excellent, thanks! Have just put hi-viz yellow on a reel so it's great to know it shouldn't make any difference. I prefer to see where the line enters the water! Also makes it easier to see when the trace appears!

I to identify where the top of the trace is I put a stop up the line.
If you try it use Korum stops as they are the only ones that will remain in place.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

John Milford wrote: Sat Dec 04 2021 17:55 -
None that I've ever noticed, Pinkie.

I've used everything from hi-viz yellow to drab green and most of them have wound up a sandy beige with use.

Lure Fishing is not really a tactic for shy fish, so it's never concerned me one way or the other.

There is something to be said for higher visibility colours 'helping' with line control, but not much.
Agreed.
I prefer " Hi - Viz" yellow, etc - especially for subtler perching - but as John says, they all fade...

And I like Andy Lush's comment:- ' if they're worried about your braid / trace, etc, they can't be very interested in your lure'!
Peter Newman