Why is buying lures addictive

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Why is buying lures addictive

Post by peteren »

After raging out of control for about 10 years and filling my garage, I manage my addiction a little better now.
Partly thru experience and advice from Dave Pugh's book and others- and realisation that about 90% of my fishing and catching, is with 10% of my collection.
Tend to use and replace a lot of soft plastics still - but they are cheaper!
But still fall off the wagon at times...
Peter Newman
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

Geoffdy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 21 2024 12:35 -
HELP
Mine name is Geoff .and I have problem. Sobs 😭
Why is buying shiney lures so bloody addictive .
Do I need help .or just keep doing it . :laughs:
You need more money! Haha, i don't know why it's so addictive. Probably because i change styles throughout the year and i 'need' more lures...
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

peteren wrote: ↑Fri Mar 22 2024 12:30 -
After raging out of control for about 10 years and filling my garage, I manage my addiction a little better now.
Partly thru experience and advice from Dave Pugh's book and others- and realisation that about 90% of my fishing and catching, is with 10% of my collection.
A garage full !!! That's Β£50'000 + :dizzy:
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Steve Le maitre wrote: ↑Fri Mar 22 2024 19:09 -
peteren wrote: ↑Fri Mar 22 2024 12:30 -
A garage full !!! That's Β£50'000 + :dizzy:
Sounds like you know, Steve!
Slight exaggeration - I'm not quite in your class! :laughs:
Peter Newman
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

I find that I often buy new lures, but tend to keep going back to old favourites. My last propper lure session with lighter gear, I found I stuck with mepps spinners.Caught plenty of fish. I think it all boils down to confidence, although some of those new rapalas do look nice :laughs:

Jack
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

I think I had 132 replicants at the last count 😬🀭
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Ian Crook wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24 2024 22:53 -
Ouch! Not bad lures, but soft plastics have evolved to the point where Reps are now a relic.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24 2024 23:06 -
Ouch! Not bad lures, but soft plastics have evolved to the point where Reps are now a relic.
The pike don't follow fishing fashion! Reps simply work.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

andrew_nagel wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25 2024 00:08 -
Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24 2024 23:06 -
The pike don't follow fishing fashion! Reps simply work.
I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion, trust me! :laughs:

It's the very restrictive internal ballast that makes them a relic. They do what they do, and that's it. Loose body baits available these days are so much more versatile.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

IMG_7503.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Danoutdoors wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25 2024 09:49 -
IMG_7503.jpeg
Reminds me of my trip to Vastervik. I thought I'd brought quite a lot of lures with me, but there were two German guys there who had a couple of Maximisers each! :eek:
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

if a Savage 4PLAY V1 comes up on eBay in 19 or 25cm i generally buy it! i think i have 50 or 60 odd of them

I've slowed down on other lures, I set my self a rule, I can have two of one kind of lure, in a natural and bright colour, I generally stop there, unless they prove very effective then I may buy a couple of spares, other than that I resist as much as I can!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Ratty46 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25 2024 11:17 -
if a Savage 4PLAY V1 comes up on eBay in 19 or 25cm i generally buy it! i think i have 50 or 60 odd of them

I've slowed down on other lures, I set my self a rule, I can have two of one kind of lure, in a natural and bright colour, I generally stop there, unless they prove very effective then I may buy a couple of spares, other than that I resist as much as I can!
Why specifically the V1 Ratty? I did buy a whole load of these and the deviators when they first came out.. Caught well initially but not used them for a while, went onto paddle tails.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Thu Mar 21 2024 19:53 -
Geoffdy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 21 2024 12:35 -
HELP
Mine name is Geoff .and I have problem. Sobs 😭
Why is buying shiney lures so bloody addictive .
Do I need help .or just keep doing it . :laughs:
I'm not as bad I used to be, but do still keep adding to the collection. You know when you are beyond help when the knock on the door comes, and you don't even remember ordering them. Happened to me a few times, late night browsing, a few G&Ts and... .
Ain't that the truth Mark. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25 2024 12:16 -

Why specifically the V1 Ratty? I did buy a whole load of these and the deviators when they first came out.. Caught well initially but not used them for a while, went onto paddle tails.
I'm not sure tbh, just find them very reliable, one of the first lures I used that produced bigger fish for me, that and they are easy to use, I like easy to use lures :laughs:

the patterns as well I think, so yeh i just collect them, i have a few deviators as well, rare ones like pigment error and isotope

the V2 are crap, nowhere near the same, I'm always telling mads on insta to re-release the V1!

see paddle tails I have a few of, like Shadteez,gbumps, whitefish shad, etc but I don't use them much? I think in my head the pike where i am see ALOT of these, if i do use them i tend to not use below 16cm

if you have 4plays for sale let me know! :thumbs:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25 2024 10:54 -
IMG_7503.jpeg
Reminds me of my trip to Vastervik. I thought I'd brought quite a lot of lures with me, but there were two German guys there who had a couple of Maximisers each! :eek:
😱 nutters 🀣
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Me too and my collection has remained fairly static in terms of size, after having a massive clear out about 3 years ago. I sold around 200 lures on this Forum and eBay.

I only now buy new lures for two reasons, one is out of necessity, i.e. to replace a lost or knackered out bait, two is to get a specific new lure or a new colour of a lure I have confidence in. I also exercise patience and wait for sales. I got some Gator Jerks in a some new colours recently for less than a fiver each from a retailer in Sweden. Β£20 a pop from the lovely chap at the Lure Box. Great lure for casting when drifting, holds its line much better than similar baits, so you can stay in touch through the retrieve. Also casts incredibly well into the wind. One of those baits that actually does what the manufacturer says it'll do. I also have the occasional audit of the collection and sell a few on, mainly lures I don't use. That helps fund the odd treat.
Piking Plonker
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Geoffdy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 21 2024 14:09 -
I'm not to bad with landing nets I only have 5 lol πŸ˜†
I keep blaming the lure fairy for all the lures I have she thinks I'm like a magpie. It's bright shiny it's mine ✨️. And don't get her started on rods and reels .i worked out the other day when I got married. It was the price of one daves rods .my daughter is getting married I could have cried when I worked out how many rods that is .
Landing nets and head torches seams to be my thing. I have a net for what seams like every species including roach for when Im whip fishing and it would look very festive if I put every head torch on at once!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25 2024 10:54 -
IMG_7503.jpeg
Not as excessive as it might seem, storage for 100 lures will give you 50 baits if you factor in a spare bait of each.
50 different baits isn't going silly, but if you had two different colours of each bait then you're down to 25 different baits. So 25 different baits is about right if your going prepared = two Mazimizers.
You don't need to take them all out on the boat each day but you could if fishing alone, one person down free's up a lot off boat space for baits !!!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Steve Le maitre wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26 2024 19:09 -
Not as excessive as it might seem, storage for 100 lures will give you 50 baits if you factor in a spare bait of each.
50 different baits isn't going silly, but if you had two different colours of each bait then you're down to 25 different baits. So 25 different baits is about right if your going prepared = two Mazimizers.
You don't need to take them all out on the boat each day but you could if fishing alone, one person down free's up a lot off boat space for baits !!!
I must admit I never carry spares of anything other than soft plastics. Lure losses where I tend to fish these days are incredibly rare.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26 2024 19:35 -
Steve Le maitre wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26 2024 19:09 -
I must admit I never carry spares of anything other than soft plastics. Lure losses where I tend to fish these days are incredibly rare.
Neither do I but if you've traveled 100's of miles for a weeks boat fishing things are different or more to the point things can be different.
it'd be hard work on the bank fighting through 2' of brambles with a Mazimizer slung over each shoulder :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Steve Le maitre wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26 2024 20:07 -
Neither do I but if you've traveled 100's of miles for a weeks boat fishing things are different or more to the point things can be different.
it'd be hard work on the bank fighting through 2' of brambles with a Mazimizer slung over each shoulder :laughs:
True. I use a Maximiser only for home storage these days. My typical selection is whatever I can cram into the box pictured. I wasn't sure how many that might be, but having now counted them I know that I took 41 lures last time I went, but it was from a boat. Fishing from the bank it would normally be a fraction of that, but the average depth of my local waters means I don't have to cater for much variety in running depth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Bank = 1 bucket.
Small boat = 2-3 buckets.
Medium boat = Big Plano + 1 bucket + 1 tub.
Big boat = Big Plano + 1 bucket + 1 + tub + 2 crates.
Trips away = extra back ups stashed in car.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

After spending an age choosing what I need, the most I ever take afloat these days when after pike will fill my Plano 7771. That's been modified to take two 3780 deep stowaways, then there's a big storage area above that I tend to fill up with hard lures and a smaller (but deep) compartment next to it which you can access with the box closed; there's also some top storage for a few more and a side opening that takes a spinnerbait box or similar. All very neat and tidy, plus it's waterproof. I put hook bonnets on all the trebles to avoid a mess. Works brilliantly and it is super easy to find, then pick out what lure you want to use. Also means there aren't loads of lures dangling around the boat, as I put them back in the box when not in use.

On the bank, less than 20 lures usually, I don't like to be carting loads of stuff I don't need.
Piking Plonker
Andy Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Scott »

I’m glad I’m not alone!!! :-)
Should probably start a therapy group!
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

Andy Scott wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29 2024 12:40 -
If a therapy group was started then I would be signing up for it. Even now it is "closed season" I am still looking on line for any new lures that I think might help me to catch!
Bluesbug
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bluesbug »

Andy Scott wrote: ↑Fri Mar 29 2024 12:40 -
Jupp second that :cool: