Heavy Pike Rods.

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Karl K
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Heavy Pike Rods.

Post by Karl K »

Thanks Phil, may i ask does it cast over weight or under, or does the 150gram fit?
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

I wouldn't have a clue as to how much a regular Bulldawg or a replicant weighs.

But it handles them with ease, and could handle more. :thumbs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Karl K
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Karl K »

Thanks Phil.
It seems like a nice rod, and i like BFT.
Have you tryed there Roots series?
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Karl K wrote:
Thanks Phil.
It seems like a nice rod, and i like BFT.
Have you tryed there Roots series?
No I haven't.

I only lure fish in Ireland.

I wanted a heavy rod for rubbers and was talking to the guy that owned the 'Lure Shack'

He sold me his one. :thumbs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Karl K
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Karl K »

Thank you Phil :)

Has anyone tryed the BFT Roots spinning rods?
kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian »

Karl K wrote:
Thanks Phil, may i ask does it cast over weight or under, or does the 150gram fit?
phil.c wrote:
I wouldn't have a clue as to how much a regular Bulldawg or a replicant weighs.

But it handles them with ease, and could handle more. :thumbs:
I make the regular bull dawgs to be about 177-120g and the new large Reps are 165g.
Rob_Iasgair
Perch
Perch

Post by Rob_Iasgair »

I use a 6-9 special from Kevin Baynes at the Anglers Workshop. Says its up to 90g but it casts more if you want. Lovely action, lovely build, super light but loads of power.

Great for cranking Savage Gears 3d "thru" lures and their eels. :)

Matched with an Abu 5500 its a dream to use.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I have the savage mpp <160g also. Use it for what your looking for its a good rod for the money. My mate uses dave lumbs trickster H for same purpose and its awesome in comparison both cast over the stated weights.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

wrong thread!
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Mark Phillips wrote:
St Croix fan here. The 6'2" I use could probably cast house bricks if you had such a desire. Awesome bit of kit and does actually bend when you hook fish...
What model is that Mark?
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Sorry Dave, didn't see your post mate.

That would be the Andy Lush 'Magician'. It's a St Croix blank, build by Tony Fordham. Rated to 5oz, but as I said, can chuck a lot more than that if needs be. You need to be careful at close quarters to avoid a hook pull, but that aside, it's an awesome bit of kit. Cheers, Mark P.
Piking Plonker
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Cheers Mark. Been looking at one of these ST CROIX PREMIER MUSKY CASTING X. Looking for something with a bit of backbone for throwing big reps and spinner baits.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Dave H wrote:
Cheers Mark. Been looking at one of these ST CROIX PREMIER MUSKY CASTING X. Looking for something with a bit of backbone for throwing big reps and spinner baits.
I had a Premier Musky two-piece 7ft 1-5oz, that I bought solely for taking on a plane. Easily the worst rod I've ever used :no:

Heavy in the hand and really badly balanced, with a very short butt that made it feel seriously tip heavy. I appreciated the quality of the Axiom a lot more after using that damn thing for a week in Sweden!

I realise it's not the cream of the St. Croix crop, but that one rod put me off buying any more from their range.
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Any recommendations?
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Dave H wrote:
Any recommendations?
This might suit you? Im not a fan of american rods as I dont like the reel seat positions and the casting weights can be way out, I can recommend the Savage gear custom 8.5 foot, 2 piece 170g casting weight, not sure what length you prefer but I like longer rods for plastics etc, I got mine in one of the VIP sales for £126, original price is £200, I like the long handle and the position of the reel seat, I`d say the casting weight is accurate too, it has a fast action and can punch a big lure out with ease :thumbs:

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/es/Sava ... 21421.aspx
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Thanks Dave but looking for something a little shorter. Been looking about and found this.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-p ... 13247.html
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Dave H wrote:
Thanks Dave but looking for something a little shorter. Been looking about and found this.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-p ... 13247.html

Ya knobber I sold mine last year could have got one cheap! Was that one that didn't bend hardly!
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Only cos we were playing at it hardly throwing any weight.. but it was abit pokey ha
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

Phil Blakey wrote:
I use a Savage Gear Big Pike rod for softlures, spinnerbaits etc; it's rated to 300g, but 300g is the top of its range.
At 8'6" long it's a bit big for jerkbaits etc, but a good rod for straight retrieve lures.
http://youtu.be/ib9JSThP0YM?list=UUuUFO ... Mq9oknxr3g
Phil.

Hi Phil, is this a brute of a rod or does it have a bit of give in it? The more I fish soft plastics the more I feel a longer rod would benefit me. Currently I use a lumby axiom, a great all round rod but for out and out big softies I think a longer rod wood make life easier? I'm curious to know more about the SG big pike because the only other options are St Croix and they're twice the price.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

LB wrote:
I'm curious to know more about the SG big pike because the only other options are St Croix and they're twice the price.
Loomis offer another option, but like the St Croix it's not cheap. It's rated 4-10oz, but I've thrown Pounder Bulldawgs on mine (not all day though! :eek: ).

http://www.lure-anglers-shop.co.uk/gloo ... p-395.html
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

Steve Dennington wrote:
LB wrote:
I'm curious to know more about the SG big pike because the only other options are St Croix and they're twice the price.
Loomis offer another option, but like the St Croix it's not cheap. It's rated 4-10oz, but I've thrown Pounder Bulldawgs on mine (not all day though! :eek: ).

http://www.lure-anglers-shop.co.uk/gloo ... p-395.html
That's a tad steep for my liking! If the SG blank is good I would be tempted to get it rebuilt with better components, you can pick them up quite cheap!
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

I would advise everyone to at least have a throw with a longer rod ie 8 to 8.5 feet, the extra leverage makes casting big lures a breeze, its really surprised me what a difference it makes. :thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

The savage big pike rod is ok. The savage custom predator 170g is in a different league. No need for a rebuild, its a very well built rod as it is. It'll happily throw 30g right through to 200g. Fantastic to play fish on, it bends with a jack but has masses of power in reserve for better fish. I've taken pike to high twenties and mid double zeds. It even makes a half decent wobbling rod.

I highly recommend it.
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

What length is it, Dan?

What makes it better than the big pike rod?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

LB wrote:
What length is it, Dan?

What makes it better than the big pike rod?
8'6.

Feels lighter and better balanced. Its more sensitive and gives loads of feedback. Casting is certainly not effortless, casting big lures is never that, but its a lot easier than it is with any other rod I've tried and that includes some musky innovations rods and the savage big pike. Well worth the extra money imo.

If you want to cast over 200g then the 240g rated rod would be better. Much more powerful than the 140g rod. It'll chuck 300g. Not as nice to play fish on due to its power but compromises have to be made when chucking 300g!

North east tackle is usually the cheapest place to get them.
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

Thanks Dan that's really helpful mate. :thumbs:
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Daniel wrote:
The savage big pike rod is ok. The savage custom predator 170g is in a different league. No need for a rebuild, its a very well built rod as it is. It'll happily throw 30g right through to 200g. Fantastic to play fish on, it bends with a jack but has masses of power in reserve for better fish. I've taken pike to high twenties and mid double zeds. It even makes a half decent wobbling rod.

I highly recommend it.

Are you using these from a boat Dan or the bank as I was just wondering if you are using them from the bank what type reel do you use ? .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Lee7499 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I highly recommend it.

Are you using these from a boat Dan or the bank as I was just wondering if you are using them from the bank what type reel do you use ? .

Both from my boat and the bank.
I use okuma komodo 364 reels loaded with 104lb diawa j braid.
All the split rings that connect the hooks to the lures have been changed to 50lb rated rings. I fish some right snag pits and I've yet to lose a lure. A long steady pull will open out the split ring and I get my lure back.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

fisherman wrote:
I use a savage mpp trigger 8ft 160g for my big softbaits and heavy lures and can't fault it. :thumbs:
This is a really impressive rod I've had one for a couple years and it really is very good!
craig RA99
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by craig RA99 »

LB, I have owned a Axiom 7' 3 oz rod and I own the Savage Gear Custom 8'6'' 170g and I can tell you the Savage rod is more suited for big soft plastics, both are great rods but when it comes to casting 100g plus the Savage rod is superior. Think about it for a minute the Axiom is a very good rod but was not designed for that sort of weight, Dave himself will tell you that. This is all relevant if the Axiom you own is in fact the 7' 3oz model :shrug:
VOTE UKIP