Soft 4 Play

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Mully
Roach
Roach

Soft 4 Play

Post by Mully »

Hi all

About a year ago a local shop had a big clear out of Savage Gear Soft 4 Play Shads. Long story short a year on and I have never used them or bought the Lip Skull that they require. I recently hatched an idea and decided to use them without the skull cap and fit them with two number 4s in a line through method similar to the Line Through trout that Savage Gear make. Is it me being daft or do you think it will work? I have created a stinger at the back out of welding wire
IMG_4115.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Soft 4 Play

Post by Steve Dennington »

Give it a go, it might be okay. The only issue might be swimming on its side due to the lack of keel weight that the wire harness provides, but the pike won't care much anyway, they'll still have it :smile:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Didnt they do singles for them :scratch: sure i have one or two in my box
Mully
Roach
Roach

Post by Mully »

Good point totally forgot about the weight aspect. Im sure a hungry jack will have a go on the local canal haha
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Grub/jig hooks :shrug:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Andrew Croft wrote: Fri Jul 14 2017 16:52 -
SG did sell weedless hooks for them, which are awesome if you want to avoid the tedious task of playing and unhooking fish :grin:
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jul 14 2017 21:29 -
SG did sell weedless hooks for them, which are awesome if you want to avoid the tedious task of playing and unhooking fish :grin:
:laughs: very true!
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jul 14 2017 21:29 -
:lol:
Mully
Roach
Roach

Post by Mully »

Suppose a decent size jig head would work. Thanks for the replies lads
Phil Blakey
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Phil Blakey »

I fished mine mostly on a wire frame; i tried the 19cm soft 4play with 2 small treble hooks and they were ok, i also tried a them with a larger single treble, they were ok too.
The soft 4play weedless single hook i never tried with the soft 4play, but recently i've used them with the SG crayfish, i slice the lure with a blade so the hooks slips through the body easier & It does work...but hook up ratio is never going to be great. I also rigged a 3D Bleak on the weedless 4play hook and a 15cm real eel, but i've yet to fish with them.
Phil.
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Phil Blakey wrote: Sun Jul 16 2017 23:57 -
I fished mine mostly on a wire frame; i tried the 19cm soft 4play with 2 small treble hooks and they were ok, i also tried a them with a larger single treble, they were ok too.
The soft 4play weedless single hook i never tried with the soft 4play, but recently i've used them with the SG crayfish, i slice the lure with a blade so the hooks slips through the body easier & It does work...but hook up ratio is never going to be great. I also rigged a 3D Bleak on the weedless 4play hook and a 15cm real eel, but i've yet to fish with them.
Phil.
How did you make such a good hook harness? Which wire, and how did you bend it and twist it so accurately? I want to make something a bit like that for some of those large soft plastic swimbaits which just come with one hook at the front, like a Castaic Hard Head.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

lochhopper wrote: Wed Oct 25 2017 16:36 -
Phil.
How did you make such a good hook harness? Which wire, and how did you bend it and twist it so accurately? I want to make something a bit like that for some of those large soft plastic swimbaits which just come with one hook at the front, like a Castaic Hard Head.

Think theres some vids of phil constructing his harnesess on you tube :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Phil.
You want one of these tools:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lure-maker-Spi ... Ciid%253A3

And spinner wire,check ebay too (i cant remember the guage i use)

There are two little posts at different heights you insert the wire between them and bend by hand around a post to form loops and bends.

The handle looking thing with the single post is for twisting the loops (turn the handle) like the eye on a spinner.
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Super, thanks Andrew. I'll get myself one of those.

Danny - I didn't find Phil on Youtube, but there turned out to be a lot of others when I searched for "spinner wire forming tool".
Chris b
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris b »

If your not gonna use the twist function (which i doubt will work with pike sized diameter wire as its too thick for mosta them tools) then save your pennys and get a few bits of scrap wood and some screws/nails (cut heads off once in place) to make a jig to bend the wire around.
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Chris - thanks for the tip. In fact I was planning to use the twist function, since first of all I just want a more permanent replacement for a short length of thick trace wire (I'm using 90 lb seven-strand at the moment). Here's what one of my rigged Castaics looks like:
castaic-hard-head-9in-rainbow-trout.jpg
I'll give it a try at least. It looks as if Phil has managed to twist a couple of turns to form the eye at the nose end of his harness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Andrew Croft wrote: Wed Oct 25 2017 19:21 -
Phil.
You want one of these tools:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lure-maker-Spi ... Ciid%253A3

And spinner wire,check ebay too (i cant remember the guage i use)

There are two little posts at different heights you insert the wire between them and bend by hand around a post to form loops and bends.

The handle looking thing with the single post is for twisting the loops (turn the handle) like the eye on a spinner.
All you need is some SS welding wire (1.2mm is ideal) and some round nosed pliers.The tool you've linked to is okay for making spinners in 0.8mm, but it won't take the thicker wire that you need to make sturdy soft plastic bait harnesses.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forming-3-Ste ... SwLF1X68Hp
Chris b
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris b »

lochhopper wrote: Thu Oct 26 2017 13:30 -
Chris - thanks for the tip. In fact I was planning to use the twist function, since first of all I just want a more permanent replacement for a short length of thick trace wire (I'm using 90 lb seven-strand at the moment). Here's what one of my rigged Castaics looks like:

castaic-hard-head-9in-rainbow-trout.jpg

I'll give it a try at least. It looks as if Phil has managed to twist a couple of turns to form the eye at the nose end of his harness.
Like Steve says that tool wont cope with thicker wire imo , i know my gordy griffith one dont anyways.
Think Phil prob made his with either round nose pliers/jig or just twisted by hand.
Maybe allso attach the wire to the actual hanger on the front hook rather than the hook itself just incase the splitring goes.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

The wire needed for things like that should be easy enough to form with jewellery pliers and twisted by hand surely?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Slug wrote: Thu Oct 26 2017 21:14 -
The wire needed for things like that should be easy enough to form with jewellery pliers and twisted by hand surely?
Yes, easily.
billybaltic
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by billybaltic »

Phil has done some excellent vids on harness and other type's of metal ware for soft rubber lures