Must have lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Re: Must have lures

Post by Crackoff »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed Nov 15 2017 20:50 -
When you troll you realise colour is very important certainly in clear water, I find it less so in dirty water but that's not rocket science as under those conditions other factors far outweigh colour choice don't they. A 350 hp car ( with wrong coloured bonnet ) will beat a 150 hp car to the top of the hill but not today if it's got flat tyres, you can always worry about the bonnet some other time but for now just get the tyres fixed. In your favourite water they may love Perch pattern and it's the winner but today the water is so coloured that fixing the tyres is more important than a bonnet respray. Placement of lure and choice of the lure can be absolutely vital, of course it can but then who would sacrifice lure choice and it's running depth just to have the correct colour ? not me I want all three.
Not me I want all three Yer and the rest Steve :laughs:
IMG_0158.JPG
Grant :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Funny I've got a box just like that on the boat Grant along with about 6 Plano's and a Lakewood 5 pack magnum all of which are rammed to the gunnels, I just need another 2 boats to store the rest of them in but anyway I thought of this..... Wanted "good woman" must have own boat and motor ( please send picture of boat and motor )
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed Nov 15 2017 23:05 -
Funny I've got a box just like that on the boat Grant along with about 6 Plano's and a Lakewood 5 pack magnum all of which are rammed to the gunnels, I just need another 2 boats to store the rest of them in but anyway I thought of this..... Wanted "good woman" must have own boat and motor ( please send picture of boat and motor )
Yup it's your box :laughs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

Best advice I could give is don't buy loads of lures. Then you end up changing them all the time not fishing. A kuusamo spoon.large spinner.couple of shallow running crank baits .6-8 inch weighted shad.and maybe couple of jerkbaits all that I use now. But I do have hundreds of them bleeding things. ...
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

There's a few that I wont leave home without.Buster in pike colour. Wolf creek cub-orange.Bikini baits tripwire-orange black stripes.Wolf creek wolf-brown trout.Hell puppy-perch.For soft baits Mcrubbers and pig shads with added blade for a bit of flash and added weights to cover all depths.Westin shad-teez has a nice wobble as well and are fairly cheap.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

When you troll you realise colour is very important certainly in clear water ...
You're spot on there. a number of years ago I spent several winters trolling lures along the fenland rivers and on some occasions, it was critical to be on the right colour. I could have two rods banging away and my mate the same, yet only one pattern was getting takes, despite having the same lures on all four rods. Then swap them all over to that colour and you're properly in business. After a while you work out what colour for what conditions, thus shortening the process. Anyone who thinks colour makes no difference is doing themselves no favours.
Piking Plonker
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Nov 23 2017 18:39 -
When you troll you realise colour is very important certainly in clear water ...
You're spot on there. a number of years ago I spent several winters trolling lures along the fenland rivers and on some occasions, it was critical to be on the right colour. I could have two rods banging away and my mate the same, yet only one pattern was getting takes, despite having the same lures on all four rods. Then swap them all over to that colour and you're properly in business. After a while you work out what colour for what conditions, thus shortening the process. Anyone who thinks colour makes no difference is doing themselves no favours.

Glad you understood what I said there Mark the trouble is I've just re read it and its just mumbo jumbo, im sure after a few Aberlour's it will make sense again
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Anyone who thinks colour makes no difference is doing themselves no favours.
Spot on Mark, been saying that for years :thumbs: Seen enough instances of colour preference over the years to never write it off....
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Thu Nov 23 2017 19:19 -

Glad you understood what I said there Mark the trouble is I've just re read it and its just mumbo jumbo, im sure after a few Aberlour's it will make sense again
Mmm Aberlour's nice choice sir got a few limited edition bottles sitting idle ready for my first 30 or 40 :laughs: :cheers:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
craig_b
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by craig_b »

The lure that seems to normally do the business for me is the rapala super shad rap, the amount of fish i have had on it over the years is incredible
Davidf74
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Davidf74 »

craig_b wrote: Sun Dec 10 2017 20:43 -
The lure that seems to normally do the business for me is the rapala super shad rap, the amount of fish i have had on it over the years is incredible
What sort of waters have you been successful with the SSR and what colours do you favour? :thanks:
craig_b
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by craig_b »

the waters are nothing special tbh, not monsters thats for sure, so jacks and mid doubles, but at the moment been struggling tho lol.
colours i have used are goldfish, fire tiger and perch
Davidf74
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Davidf74 »

I've got a box of various colours that I've magpied over the years, I need to get some wet in the fen drains.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

brian donnelly wrote: Sun Nov 05 2017 17:35 -
A Voblex. :thumbs:

You and me Brian :thumbs:

Wasn't going to post but now you've let the cat out I thought why not :grin:

Steve they do go down, I took a 20 out of Wilstone corner when the water was right up and the depth around 14ft, largest Vob, gimp trace, Gold Ambi, 9lb Platil and my Wilstone Whopper Stopper, Bernard Double was covering for his Father and was there to.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Keeping my lure collection organised seems like a full time job at times but the single lure I've caught the most pike on - mepps lusox!
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Abu Atom and Reflex.
Bryanmcdonald
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bryanmcdonald »

Mepps,