How to make a lure run straight?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

How to make a lure run straight?

Post by Wat Tyler »

I like to make a few home made lures when I have the time and inclination. As my lures are all hand made I sometimes find the crankbaits pulling to one side or the other. I realize that is probably because the belly weight is slightly out of centre, but considering lures that are already made:

Is there any way to correct this? Would heating the plastic vane and twisting slightly cure the problem, for instance?
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Re: How to make a lure run straight?

Post by DavyMc »

You could try cutting the vane slightly saw that described as a way to deal with squint burts however it never worked for me and it was doing it because the weight was off center. That lure caught with the one sided action.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Depends how far it's out you can bend the line tie the opposite way to the way it's running
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Usually bending the line tie as Mark suggests sorts the problem. Have a look on youtube for "tuning crankbaits"....theres a load of vids showing you how to do it :thumbs:
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Thanks chaps, I'll give the eye bending thing a go. Mind you, the lure I had in mind when posting the question actually works quite nicely on rivers as it sort of pulls along parallel to the bank if I work it quickly enough. A kind of accidental side-planer.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

That could be useful, I would leave it as it is.

Will.
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Nov 30 2017 22:43 -
That could be useful, I would leave it as it is.

Will.
Good point.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Wat Tyler wrote: Thu Nov 30 2017 18:17 -
Thanks chaps, I'll give the eye bending thing a go. Mind you, the lure I had in mind when posting the question actually works quite nicely on rivers as it sort of pulls along parallel to the bank if I work it quickly enough. A kind of accidental side-planer.
That can be useful - then you need another for the other bank!
Peter Newman
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

peteren wrote: Fri Dec 01 2017 17:57 -
:grin:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

peteren wrote: Fri Dec 01 2017 17:57 -
Or just walk in the opposite direction :laughs: .

Will.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Adjusting the front attachment eye is going to fix 95% of tracking issues. You can use pliers, but there are tools which do the job a lot better. I use a Bucher adjustment tool (picture below), which allows you to bend the eye in parallel, if that makes sense. It's a very handy little gadget that's invaluable when trolling lures. Also, check the lip isn't out of whack or is damaged, worn, etc. and always use a split ring on the eye, which you'll then attach the leader to. Hope that helps... cheers, MP.

Piking Plonker
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 14:35 -
Adjusting the front attachment eye is going to fix 95% of tracking issues. You can use pliers, but there are tools which do the job a lot better. I use a Bucher adjustment tool (picture below), which allows you to bend the eye in parallel, if that makes sense. It's a very handy little gadget that's invaluable when trolling lures. Also, check the lip isn't out of whack or is damaged, worn, etc. and always use a split ring on the eye, which you'll then attach the leader to. Hope that helps... cheers, MP.

Thanks Mark. May I ask what impact the split ring has?

I have some jewelry pliers for forming the loops in the crankbait harnesses. Maybe they would serve a similar purpose as the Bucher adjustment tool?
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Wat Tyler wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 16:27 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 14:35 -

Thanks Mark. May I ask what impact the split ring has?

I have some jewelry pliers for forming the loops in the crankbait harnesses. Maybe they would serve a similar purpose as the Bucher adjustment tool?
You're very welcome. Adding a split ring allows for more movement of the lure, hence better action. It also makes attaching the snap link on a leader much easier. There are some lures that don't benefit that much by adding split rings to the front eye, but crank baits will. There's also a small argument to say that it helps reduce the effect of leverage on a hooked fish, hence less lost fish. I think that's probably more prevalent to large jerk baits. Anyway, always good practice to add a split ring IMO.

Any strong pliers will do the job. The Bucher lure tuner can be bought for peanuts if you can find them. Also, a very good read is the book by Joe Bucher, Crankbait Secrets.
Piking Plonker
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Thanks again. I wonder if spilt-rings have any effect on a lure's action?

I'll look that book up.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Wat Tyler wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 18:11 -

I'll look that book up.
Adding a split ring can only improve the action. If a lure doesn't come with one fitted, I soon add one. The only lures I don't fit a split ring to are spinner baits and most inline spinners.
Piking Plonker
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 20:07 -

I'll look that book up.
Adding a split ring can only improve the action. If a lure doesn't come with one fitted, I soon add one. The only lures I don't fit a split ring to are spinner baits and most inline spinners.
I hope you don't mind all the questions Mark, but why not add a SR to these lures?
Phil Blakey
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Phil Blakey »

Adding a split ring also helps stop pike from levering open the snap link.
Phil.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Wat Tyler wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 20:39 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 20:07 -

I'll look that book up.
I hope you don't mind all the questions Mark, but why not add a SR to these lures?
Not at all mate. Good point above from Phil... yeah, spinner baits stay in the same plane as you retrieve them, as do inline spinners and bucktails, so you don't really need a split ring on the front eye - if that makes sense. You could even invite the odd tangle with the leader on some of the bigger spinner baits using a slit ring. If you think of them as little coat hangers, where the frame doesn't move and the action is from the jig head and blade/s...
Piking Plonker
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Thanks again chaps