Whats the oldest lure in your bag?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
DaveyJ88
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Whats the oldest lure in your bag?

Post by DaveyJ88 »

Hey guys, just curious. What’s the oldest lure you guys regularly chuck? Anything in your bag classed as vintage? Pictures would be nice!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Whats the oldest lure in your bag?

Post by Mike J »

A Colorado spoon complete with red wool ln the treble, I bought it in 1959.
One day a big fish hammered it so hard the force bent the wire stem, must have been all of 6lbs.

Will post a pic. when I dig it out.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

A late 1980s Abu Toby is my oldest, so not exactly an antique. It still gets chucked occasionally.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I have a few old American cut plugs from the 50s / 60s.I still use them and they still catch plenty fish.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Steve Stillwell
Roach
Roach

Post by Steve Stillwell »

A Creek Chub Crippled Minnow that I bought from Latham's of Potter Heigham in 1971.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Got quite a few old Pikies from the 50s/60s which still get used,and loads of lures from the 70s/80s. Oldest is probably a Creek Chub Wiggler thats 80+yrs old. Majority of the lures in my Pike lure box are vintage, or copies of vintage baits :pirate:
box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Not in the bag but in the tackle room, the wife picked up a dozen of these at a boot sale for fifty pence. These are two I could find, the others are in the room some place.

A must have for Chew surely?
IMG_0872 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Monts wrote: Mon Jan 29 2018 18:54 -
Not in the bag but in the tackle room, the wife picked up a dozen of these at a boot sale for fifty pence. These are two I could find, the others are in the room some place.

IMG_0872 (2).JPG
Like the Devon Minnow,I have 2 of those that used to be my dad's so must be from the very early 1970's, never seen a pike all in good condition green topside and yellow underside.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
baabaa
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by baabaa »

I've got several ABU Toby's and Big S plugs from when I was a kid... lets just say 30 odd years ago... Just getting back into lure fishing including drop shooting and loving the simplicity of it all, after being a match angler with all the gubbins for more years than I care to mention....
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I used to fish regularly with American lures bought from Ken Latham's, which would date from the 70's and perhaps earlier. Some of these, I discovered, were worth very considerable sums of money on the US and Japanese collectors market.

The value seems to depend on rare models by premium brands (i.e. made in the least numbers) particularly Heddon and obscure colour variants of the more popular models.

Put a picture up if you think you might have a goldmine rattling in your box :wink:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Pauladams76
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Pauladams76 »

An old wooden Shakespeare "Get em" it's battered but for a very good reason. On a local reservoir I fish this lure has done most of the damage.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Not in my bag, but tucked away in a drawer I have few oldies. Some original Big S and Hi Lo's that are 40 years old, along with a few old spinner and sppons that are from around the same time. I can even remember buying them with my pocket money :madmick:
Piking Plonker
Old School Piker
Roach
Roach

Post by Old School Piker »

Have a load of ABU stuff from the 1970's. HI-Lo plugs, Toby's and Droppen blade spinners. Could never understand why other lure companies didn't copy the adjustable lip on the Hi-Lo plugs. Great idea.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Old School Piker wrote: Fri Mar 16 2018 00:47 -
Have a load of ABU stuff from the 1970's. HI-Lo plugs, Toby's and Droppen blade spinners. Could never understand why other lure companies didn't copy the adjustable lip on the Hi-Lo plugs. Great idea.
I`ve an old bait from an unknown maker which has an adjustable lip and body style similar to the Hilo. I`ll try and remember to dig it out and snap a pic tomorrow.
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Shakespeare did some in the original Big S style with the adjustable lip. I had one in a tatty old box, I let Rab Russell have it in exchange for some lure painting jobs.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I'll be seeing if I can catch on these two 3" spoons this season. Both Victorian (but I've fitted new hardware!) .The top one is silver plate with copper reverse and the lower brass with silver plated reverse. Both have labouriuosly hand-hammered scale patterns, but unfortunately neither are stamped with a maker's mark (otherwise they'd be collector's items!)

"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

A big S from from the early 80's
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

IMG_0872 (2).JPG
That bottom one looks like the minnow that was attached to the old Abu Drop minnows.

FEROX 85 GROUP
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

fergie68 wrote: Wed Apr 25 2018 22:31 -

IMG_0872 (2).JPG
That bottom one looks like the minnow that was attached to the old Abu Drop minnows.
It's been fitted on a very much earlier hook mount, judging by the old brass 'box' swivel. I wonder what that came off originally?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

the top holographic shad. not vintage and not old by a longshot but this was maybe 2005/2006 my first ever lure and first ever time trying for pike with andy macfarlane. the tail got bit off :grin:

I gave it to andy that day and I never seen it again until I was up at his parents valueing his gear after he passed away. asked if I could have the lure which by that time had a nice white grub tail melted on to it. it now resides in my little keepsake rather than my tackle bag, id be devistated if i lost it.
HammeredJigs.jpg
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Andrew Croft wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 12:40 -
the top holographic shad. not vintage and not old by a longshot but this was maybe 2005/2006 my first ever lure and first ever time trying for pike with andy macfarlane. the tail got bit off :grin:

I gave it to andy that day and I never seen it again until I was up at his parents valueing his gear after he passed away. asked if I could have the lure which by that time had a nice white grub tail melted on to it. it now resides in my little keepsake rather than my tackle bag, id be devistated if i lost it.

HammeredJigs.jpg
If it carries a special significance, its worth showing. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Andrew Croft wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 12:40 -

HammeredJigs.jpg
Every time you look at that lure
I hope it always brings back happy memories,
Regards
Tom
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

ED082F12-A35E-46E3-ACF0-09193151BF20.jpeg
this wee Abu perch spoon probably the oldest lure I own,don’t use it anymore but had a few jacks on it when a was a boy :laughs:
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

piker al wrote: Thu May 24 2018 22:38 -
ED082F12-A35E-46E3-ACF0-09193151BF20.jpegthis wee Abu perch spoon probably the oldest lure I own,don’t use it anymore but had a few jacks on it when a was a boy :laughs:

A mate of mine had a nice ferox on one of those. On a day when all other lures and baits were ignored. :thumbs:

FEROX 85 GROUP
DaveyJ88
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by DaveyJ88 »

It’s now a reef hawg I think.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Fondly remember those, and original rapalas , bought with pocket money and 20 mile bike ride to my nearest tackle shop. Wish I'd looked after them better - old droppens spun way better than new ones!
Peter Newman