Casting all day

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Casting all day

Post by John Milford »

Not suffered with back pain while lure fishing, but don't often fish long spells with heavy jerkbaits.

My problem is tennis elbow! My favourite lures are crankbaits and topwaters, which I fish very actively with lots of rod action. This tends to be through the wrist/ forearm - so the tennis elbow is perhaps not really a surprise? I'm sure this won't improve with age and the problem is it lingers for days!

I think I'll try voltarol or tenese - any recommendations?
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

John Milford wrote: Tue Mar 20 2018 14:08 -
Not suffered with back pain while lure fishing, but don't often fish long spells with heavy jerkbaits.

My problem is tennis elbow! My favourite lures are crankbaits and topwaters, which I fish very actively with lots of rod action. This tends to be through the wrist/ forearm - so the tennis elbow is perhaps not really a surprise? I'm sure this won't improve with age and the problem is it lingers for days!

I think I'll try voltarol or tenese - any recommendations?
You have my sympathy, John!

Tennis elbow is a real pain when it strikes. Bouts can continue for up to six months, and during that time, even a handshake can be very painful. 10% strength ibuprofen gel can help a bit, but it'll still be painful.

Epicondylitis clasps do provide relief, and also help to prevent tennis elbow flaring up in the first place. As well as fishing big baits, I do quite a lot of metal detecting, which can also aggravate tennis elbow, so the clasp goes on for that too (if I remember). Unfortunately it seems that once you've had a bout of tennis elbow, the chances of another at some point are high, so doing all you can to prevent it is advisable.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

I've had TE in both elbows, initially from sports - but then anything hurts!
Physio helped me - straightening the elbow to "take it gently into pain".
Seemed otherwise it would "heal" without full flex - then be aggravated by strain.
Touch wood, been OK for 5 years, just using supports for sports - but not fishing - the only time I get back pain!
Peter Newman
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Various rugby physios told me tennis elbow was invariably due to over tight triceps and triceps tendons and loosening them up normally sorted it for me👍
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Full ten hours on the boat today and I’m pleased to say I had reasonable results with my back, concentrated on keeping stood up as straight as possible so not to put permanent strain on my mid back muscles, imparted the action of the lure from working my reel handle rather than the rod it’s self and also tried to just do reasonable size casts rather than super casts, vast improvement from last time so thanks for all the above advice! I even caught a few fish so happy days👍
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

I think we tend to put alot off tension on the muscle in the back when lure fishing and the wt in some off the jerk baits you needs arms like arnie to throw them.
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

It's tension all day 'cos you're waiting on that bite.If you relax you start missing them. :mad: It's a hard day's work so think of it like that.Regular breaks,good posture,don't overdo it and painkillers.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Yeah , painkillers are good!
I have rotator cuff tears in my shoulder , and though I spent the winter trolling , not casting , I wouldn`t have able for it if it wasn`t for the tablets .
Wonder how I`m going to manage when I go back jerkbaiting soon .......
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

owen k wrote: Thu Mar 29 2018 13:38 -
It's tension all day 'cos you're waiting on that bite.If you relax you start missing them. :mad: It's a hard day's work so think of it like that.Regular breaks,good posture,don't overdo it and painkillers.
I agree fully with that, if I go away for a few days luring it takes me another few days to recover these days :madmick: .
It is hard work, smaller and lighter, thats the way forward for me :laughs: :laughs: .

Will
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Mar 29 2018 21:02 -
owen k wrote: Thu Mar 29 2018 13:38 -
I agree fully with that, if I go away for a few days luring it takes me another few days to recover these days :madmick: .
It is hard work, smaller and lighter, thats the way forward for me :laughs: :laughs: .

Will
A lot of the biggest pike are caught with the smallest most unlikely lures, look how many trouties on Chew catch monsters on buzzers
Timbo1
Roach
Roach

Post by Timbo1 »

yep just hanging over the side as Ian and Will say the drifting boat or simple moving about the boat causes the lure to rise and fall. I've often just been sat on my harris, when bang the sleeper gets a big hit...i tend to leave the clutch loose, and make sure the rod holder is tight on the gunnel too :afraid: