4 strand or 8 strand braid?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Drew
Stickleback
Stickleback

4 strand or 8 strand braid?

Post by Drew »

Hi. Just wondered why sg make both types. Is one suited to a particular reel or fishing style? I've used both types and favour the 4 strand. Any info appreciated.
Thanks
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: 4 strand or 8 strand braid?

Post by Mike J »

Braid, Spectra, Dyneema is woven from individual fibres, the woven fibres are called carriers and it is the number of carriers in the completed braid that the 4,8 or 12 represent. Thus the more carriers the more complex the weave and usually the limper the finished line.

Beware of any braid from outside the main manufacturing countries of Holland (where Spectra fibre was originally developed) and Japan and the USA who are licensed producers.

Spiderwire Stealth Smooth X8 - highly recommended for both reel designs.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 11:37 -
Braid, Spectra, Dyneema is woven from individual fibres, the woven fibres are called carriers and it is the number of carriers in the completed braid that the 4,8 or 12 represent. Thus the more carriers the more complex the weave and usually the limper the finished line.

Beware of any braid from outside the main manufacturing countries of Holland (where Spectra fibre was originally developed) and Japan and the USA who are licensed producers.

Mike, I have heard these 8 and 12 carrier braids are not as good on the knots or abrasion as the 4---is this right?
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

I think 4 strand braids tend to be more abrasion resistent and stiffer. Prefer 4 strand on baitcasters. Also when you get down to the very fine diameters used for LRF and ultra light fishing these are not made in 8 strand. For no nonsense, tough as old boots, 4 strand, Power Pro is hard to beat. For 8 strand both Spider wire stealth (already recommended) and daiwa J braid are great value for money. For better quality stuff look at YGK.
Michael Bruton
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

The higher the number of fibres, the less resistance there is through the rod as the braid is rounder and smoother, so better casts are achieveable and it is far less noisy which can get annoying casting and retrieving 4 strand all day.

Personally, I use 8 (PP Super 8 Slick, Suffix 832 and YGK G Soul X8 Upgrade) on all my Lure Rods and still original power pro (from bulk spools) on my bait rods.
Drew
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Drew »

Thanks for the replies👍
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Very informative replies :thumbs:

(Every day is a school day)
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I use 8 on some of my lure set ups nicer through the rings. Using 4 on my bait rods though.
I also read/heard that 8 is less abrasion resistant.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Good basic 8/4 info given above, generally covers the 8/4 thing quite nicely.

Horses for courses and depends "what your going to be doing with it".

:thumbs:
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Ian Crook wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 12:58 -
The higher the number of fibres, the less resistance there is through the rod as the braid is rounder and smoother, so better casts are achieveable and it is far less noisy which can get annoying casting and retrieving 4 strand all day.

Personally, I use 8 (PP Super 8 Slick, Suffix 832 and YGK G Soul X8 Upgrade) on all my Lure Rods and still original power pro (from bulk spools) on my bait rods.
Ear plugs are available ya big softy.... heard of some annoying stuff when lure fishing but the sound of 4 weave through the rod rings is a new one... sensitive hearing :grin:

For me 8 weave has been more wind knots and crack offs as a result. Needs a little more care when using. I am using using a fixed spool set up with both 20 and 30lb Spiderwire stealth for casting jigs / small rubbers / smaller lures.
its thinner and great for cutting through the water using jigs, jigheads -shads etc. it is absolutely ideal for straight down deep water jigging as thinner for heavier BS.

Like Crooky I have stuck with the more "robust" imo... 4 weave Tuf line XP and P Pro for jerk baits, larger lures and bait fishing.
Love the hit!
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Mar 20 2018 15:28 -
Ian Crook wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 12:58 -

Ear plugs are available ya big softy.... heard of some annoying stuff when lure fishing but the sound of 4 weave through the rod rings is a new one... sensitive hearing :grin:

For me 8 weave has been more wind knots and crack offs as a result. Needs a little more care when using. I am using using a fixed spool set up with both 20 and 30lb Spiderwire stealth for casting jigs / small rubbers / smaller lures.
its thinner and great for cutting through the water using jigs, jigheads -shads etc. it is absolutely ideal for straight down deep water jigging as thinner for heavier BS.

Like Crooky I have stuck with the more "robust" imo... 4 weave Tuf line XP and P Pro for jerk baits, larger lures and bait fishing.
The noise isn’t a very big issue as you say, but if it can be reduced simply by changing braid then it’s a worthwhile change. I actually use 8 strand up to 80lb (Jerkbait Rod) for all my Lure fishing, only use 4 strand for bait fishing these days. I rarely use spinning reels though, 90 of time I’m using baitcasters
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 12:20 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 11:37 -

Mike, I have heard these 8 and 12 carrier braids are not as good on the knots or abrasion as the 4---is this right?

Hi Kev,
From personal experience of 4 and 8 carrier lines - the answer to both questions is no.
I have only ever used three knots on braid; the Bimini Twist for loops (all my Pike reels use the same loop all season) the Albright Knot for attaching a heavy leader or wire, and the Justice Knot for light leaders.
For knot tests with dozens of various braids visit the Paulus site http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm (a mine of information).

My first braid was Cabelas RipCord (mid '90s) and since then Ive used 27/28 different brands or specs. I have also used the same YGK WX8 PE4 for apx. 15years and never found wear on the line to be a problem.
I always use lines from Japanese or US producers/suppliers.

I have no experience of 12 carrier lines.
Last edited by Mike J on Thu Mar 22 2018 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Don't we anglers love a bit of 'techno babble'? :roll:

(And don't the manufacturers love it, if it makes us choose their products!).

'Spectra' and 'Dyneema' are just trade names for Gel Spun Polyethylene (GSPE). I've been using lines of this type since the early 90's (when it first appeared as fly line backing). I've used flat, ''round' and everything in between; in strains from 20 to 120 lb b.s. and to be honest, they've all performed admirably.

Opinions on which are the best are as divided as they were with nylon monofilament and everyone swears by their favourites.

You cannot go far wrong if you do as you would with all lines and check for wear and abrasion, strip off any that looks suspect and 'reverse' the line onto another spool, for an extra lease of life after a long poriods of use (I don't do this with nylon!).

I've never found the need for any knot other than a Palomar.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "