Bucktails

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Bucktails

Post by Admau1 »

Hi, anyone use bucktails ? Are they available in the UK ?
Chilli
Roach
Roach

Re: Bucktails

Post by Chilli »

Buchertails and Double Cow Girls. Picked my first few up while in the states then had to buy direct.

At the time I couldn't find anywhere in Europe but that may have changed now.
Chilli
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have made my own bucktail for sea species, big lunkers copied from pics of Mojos, made them from 4oz up to 2.5lbs.

I was trying to source the materials to make my own DDs but have been distracted of late.

If you or anyone else is planning an import PM me and I will add a few bits and share the costs. :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Admau1 wrote: Mon Apr 02 2018 09:09 -
Hi, anyone use bucktails ? Are they available in the UK ?
I was using them 20 years ago, buying almost all of mine from Rollie & Helens in the States. That's not just in-lines, but spinnerbaits too, e.g Funky Chickens and alike. I stopped buying them after I realised they aren't great pike lures, well, when compared to undressed in-line spinners and silicon skirted spinnerbaits. They're also not as durable, as one can obviously replace a chewed up silicon skirt. Having said that, they have their uses - mainly for fishing slow/shallow. I've done quite well with viper spinnerbaits, which have tandem bucktail skirts, mainly short range stuff on shallow/narrow drains. The bigger musky in-line bucktails are however a bit of a waste of time with pike, from my experience of using them. If you stick to the smaller versions, they are OK, but as stated, not the greatest fish catches and you'd quickly unclip one and then start catching on other lures. I think it's the old musky versus pike lure thing, where some lures obviously work well irrespective of species, whereas others, such as the big bucktails, are really a musky lure. No harm I think in having a few in your collection, as they do work, but it's a rare day when they're a 'go to' pike lure. Pick of the bunch I've used are the smaller Windel's in-lines... but a (undressed) Mepps Plain Giant Killer would be my choice of big in-line spinner any day of the week...
Piking Plonker
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

When you say undressed Mark , do you mean totally stripped or with just a few sparse fibers ?

I`ve made a few 10" ones from scratch using Xmas tinsel , but won`t get to try them til next week .
Both single and double blades .

Pat
Chilli
Roach
Roach

Post by Chilli »

I must admit Mark I do prefer a spinnerbait but I've done alright on the larger bucktails (more so in colder months in deeper water where I've added extra weight)

I was using them 20 years ago, buying almost all of mine from Rollie & Helens in the States. That's not just in-lines, but spinnerbaits too, e.g Funky Chickens and alike. I stopped buying them after I realised they aren't great pike lures, well, when compared to undressed in-line spinners and silicon skirted spinnerbaits. They're also not as durable, as one can obviously replace a chewed up silicon skirt. Having said that, they have their uses - mainly for fishing slow/shallow. I've done quite well with viper spinnerbaits, which have tandem bucktail skirts, mainly short range stuff on shallow/narrow drains. The bigger musky in-line bucktails are however a bit of a waste of time with pike, from my experience of using them. If you stick to the smaller versions, they are OK, but as stated, not the greatest fish catches and you'd quickly unclip one and then start catching on other lures. I think it's the old musky versus pike lure thing, where some lures obviously work well irrespective of species, whereas others, such as the big bucktails, are really a musky lure. No harm I think in having a few in your collection, as they do work, but it's a rare day when they're a 'go to' pike lure. Pick of the bunch I've used are the smaller Windel's in-lines... but a (undressed) Mepps Plain Giant Killer would be my choice of big in-line spinner any day of the week...
[/quote]
Chilli
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

royboy wrote: Mon Apr 02 2018 12:39 -
When you say undressed Mark , do you mean totally stripped or with just a few sparse fibers ?

I`ve made a few 10" ones from scratch using Xmas tinsel , but won`t get to try them til next week .
Both single and double blades .

Pat
Yes thanks, that's correct Pat, just a blade and body, no bucktail, marabou, silicon, tinsel, etc. You can fish them quicker than a dressed lure and speed is usually the trigger with such lures. As I've said, personally I don't rate big in-lines for pike, as there's far ore effective lures you can use to do the same thing, but then that's just me. In someone else's hands, could be a winner... I mean there's people who don't seem to catch on dawgs or spinnerbaits, strange as that may seem, but hey, that's lure fishing :scratch: :smile:
Piking Plonker
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Remember going mad on zalts once ... Bought loads ..never really felt confident with them, so mostly unmarked and Virgin lures
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bucktail lures always brought me jack pike in the margins on the drains around here
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Not sure if it's the same but I brought some buck tail material back from the states to make up some spinnerbaits, added a stinger made the skirt and they work a treat the flow and action they can't resist.
[attachment=2]image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

image.jpeg
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

steve a pac wrote: Mon Apr 02 2018 20:51 -
Not sure if it's the same but I brought some buck tail material back from the states to make up some spinnerbaits, added a stinger made the skirt and they work a treat the flow and action they can't resist.
[attachment=2]image.jpeg
I like that Steve, what is the overall length of the finished article, and what length is the blade ?

Will.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Overall length 220mm and blade length 70mm.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Ta.

Will