Strange

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Strange

Post by Carlperkins »

7332DA7A-D169-4D8B-903E-7D2321B98B20.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That Perkins !!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Strange

Post by suffolk si »

Should be a top bait cocktail carl, would let that swim around for a bit ! maybe they are getting grumpy and aggressive towards spawning?
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Had 2 so took a picas no one would believe it
That Perkins !!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

f'kin product placement if you ask me. :giggle:

fair do's mate that certainly beats my perch on static corn.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

oh that also reminds me of the two carp following a little spro roach lure once.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Not a common occurrence, but the silly little sods do have a go every now and again :scratch:

I found a pic of one of mine - a dace that grabbed a crank aimed at chub.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Thick as s***e this Minnow that thought it was Jaws, poor little sod hooked in the belly threw it back and a Jack had it for lunch.
IMG_0350.JPG
Like Steve I've had a Dace before on small Cranks used for Chub, no photo though I'm afraid.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Had another 2 this afternoon
That Perkins !!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Nothing that strange really, as all fish will take lures at some point. Infrequent captures is how I'd term such things. Besides the obvious ones, like chub, I've had quite a few dace and the odd barbel on lures (spinners mainly). I've had tench on spinner baits and well, bream, loads of times - caught three in three casts using jigs on a certain east Anglian trout water a few years back, one went 11lb (yeah, I weighed it!). I recall getting a few on shad raps when trolling a lough in Ireland. I've even had one hooked fair and square inside the mouth reeling in an un baited trace... I've also been shown a picture of a claimed 24lb bream caught on a fly - no way to say if it was that weight, as the fella just snapped it lying in the net with his phone, but when I told him the record was 22 something... he just shrugged his shoulders and then moved onto the next picture he had of a big zander he'd had on a fly the same day, that he claimed was 16 (looked it too), so hey, he could have been telling the truth. Who knows...
Piking Plonker
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

As you say Carl, "strange", especially for you to catch 4 of them, Maybe Si might have something with the pre spawning aggression suggestion.
But you know some guys actually target silvers regularly with lures and catch regularly with them to, although that spin mad lure does look a bit on the heavy side for those little fellas.
Food for thought.
I totally agree with Mark says most fish will take a lure at some point, but sometimes it does come as a surprise !

Will.
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

Hooked fairly in the gub. :smile:
IMG-20160227-WA0005_zpsalgh6nwy.jpg
And one for the vintage lure enthusiasts.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've got an old fishing book somewhere that actually suggests spinning for bream at this time of the year, so clearly a seasonal trait for them in particular.

All fish are predatory, to some extent, and I believe those who've mentioned this being heightened by pre-spawn aggression are probably right, especially regarding hook-ups of fish seeming to be attempting to bite off more than they can chew. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

If live baiting wasnโ€™t banned on said water it would of been ON a set of trebles ๐Ÿ˜‚
That Perkins !!! ๐Ÿ˜‚