Page 1 of 1

How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Thu Jun 14 2018 19:30
by Lanky94
I have 2 light set ups..................1 for jigs ( North Fork) and 1 for UL Crankbaits ( North Fork)

Reel size is 2000 ( Diawa tatula LT). Intention is to use 20b braid and these reels will hold around 80yds of it.

As the fish I target using small lures wil be jacks and perch, will 80 yds be enough, just incase a big ole grandma grabs my lure?

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Thu Jun 14 2018 23:33
by andrew_nagel
What type of venues will you fish? 80 yards is enough on a canal with a tow path that allows you to follow a big fish.

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Fri Jun 15 2018 01:53
by Lanky94
andrew_nagel wrote:
What type of venues will you fish? 80 yards is enough on a canal with a tow path that allows you to follow a big fish.
True words.

Canals and Norfolk Broads and river systems. May just jump up to the 2500 tatula for that bit more capacity. Wanted 20lb braid to ensure fish safety and have a chance of getting a lure back from a snag!

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Fri Jun 15 2018 18:25
by Nobby C
I think you'd need more like 50lb + to ensure that. 20lb is whisker thin and zero abrasion resistance.

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Fri Jun 15 2018 18:52
by Lanky94
Nobby C wrote:
I think you'd need more like 50lb + to ensure that. 20lb is whisker thin and zero abrasion resistance.
I would go to 80lb on 8oz swimbaits and big jerk baits on a 400 size Calcutta or similar

I think casting distance would be restricted with 50lb and lures under 1/4 oz. Difficult to get the lure down aswell.

I would probably choose 50lb for medium / palm size swimbaits (300 size Calcutta)

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Fri Jun 15 2018 19:47
by John Milford
Sounds like a reasonable UL set up to me? Horses for courses and balanced tackle. UL lures generally have thin wire hooks, so I can't see 20lb braid being an issue?

Also - who's ever had a pike of any size spool out a reel with 80yds of line on it? :shrug:

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Fri Jun 15 2018 19:57
by Duncan Holmes
John Milford wrote:
Sounds like a reasonable UL set up to me? Horses for courses and balanced tackle. UL lures generally have thin wire hooks, so I can't see 20lb braid being an issue?

Also - who's ever had a pike of any size spool out a reel with 80yds of line on it? :shrug:
Don't think I have ever had a pike take more than about 8 feet of line :laughs:

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Sat Jun 16 2018 00:32
by Lanky94
[Don't think I have ever had a pike take more than about 8 feet of line :laughs:
[/quote]

I live in hope! :grin:

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Sat Jun 16 2018 00:52
by Andrew Croft
Nobby C wrote:
I think you'd need more like 50lb + to ensure that. 20lb is whisker thin and zero abrasion resistance.
Bit overkill for ultra light setup fishing for perch and jacks.

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Sat Jun 16 2018 11:46
by John Milford
UL lure fishing has its roots in the old 'threadline' school. Fixed-spool reels were originally developed specifically for this type of angling, where the reels enabled very light baits to be cast without additional lead. The slipping cutch also made the 'thread' lines (4 - 6 lb braided silk) viable for skilled users to land large fish. (These silk lines were typically sold in lengths of 50 yards).

An Illingworth No.3 'Casting reel' patented in 1913 (not mine!).
Image

Today's materials mean that 'thread' lines of similar diameter have four times the breaking strain of the old braids used by the original 'threadliners'. Lucky us! :pipe:

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Wed Jun 20 2018 19:24
by Jason Skilton
I use a 1000 biomaster on th UL gear. It hold 100m of 20lb braid and its more than a match for perch and certainly can handle a upper double if ibe decides to munch a small lure.

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Thu Jun 21 2018 00:49
by Lanky94
Thanks all. As I thought, 80 to 100yds of 20lb braid is plenty when using small lures in waters where bigger perch and smaller pike live. Just nice to hear it from other folk. Now I'll take my rods into a shop and see what balances best a 2000 ,or 2500 size.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Re: How much 20lb braid?

Posted: Thu Jun 21 2018 11:26
by Jason Skilton
Lanky94 wrote:
Thanks all. As I thought, 80 to 100yds of 20lb braid is plenty when using small lures in waters where bigger perch and smaller pike live. Just nice to hear it from other folk. Now I'll take my rods into a shop and see what balances best a 2000 ,or 2500 size.

Thanks all for your inputs.
If your using one of the 0-12g range of rods, the a 2000 would be ample, I prefer the smaller reels in the 1000 spool range personally.