Lures for Catfish

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Lures for Catfish

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Have any of you ever lure fished for Catfish? I have sole use of a lake ( French ) with plenty of large Cats in it and as there is no one else to annoy would like to try and catch one on a lure. Can any one recommend what lures would be suitable? I was thinking of purchasing say half a dozen to take with me

Thanks
Brian
royboy
Chub
Chub

Re: Lures for Catfish

Post by royboy »

I did some lure fishing for cats on the river Po in Italy a few years back .
The guides were using Rapala SSR`s , I had fish to just under 100lbs on those and some on Kalins 10" Grub tail .
Basically any thing with vibration and a rattle .

Pat
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Chris Leibbrandt had one on a Heddon 'Crazy Crawler' once, but I wouldn't recommend it! (Although I can understand why it worked - self 'klonking' lure!). A big surface popper might be worth a try though?

Saw a Russian guy get a good one on a 5" paddle-tail shad last time I fished the Ebro. The softbait/ jig head combo seems to be a popular choice with the continentals, although the Germans like big, heavy spoons too. Askari mailorder had a range of various wells lures listed, last time I looked.

I also had one that nabbed a 4lb Zander I was reeling in (in the dark) but I wouldn't recommend that either!
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Super Sandras were supposed to be catfish lures.

As The Lure Archivist says, spoons and soft plastics are what usually get recommended in Europe for catfish.