Little Plucky.

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Little Plucky.

Post by Rosemary »

Many years ago I bought a plug called a Plucky. It appealed to me because it was pretty,I bought it for no other reason. Eventually I tried it and it was by far the most successful lure I have ever used. Eventually it went the same way that all lures go, stuck on a submerged log. I was never able to find another one.
Just old and knackered.
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Re: Little Plucky.

Post by D10bore »

I’m not a expert but using braid 60 lb is supposed to allow you to bend the hooks out of any snags and give you a good chance of getting lures back just a thought mike
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

:grin:

I recall one on Flea-bay very recently.......unused I think........ French origin with detaching belly double.............must be as old as Al'

(No one was using 60lbs braid for "spinning" in those days).

:thumbs:
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

I ment if using now not then my mistake mike
Jake Hamilton
Chub
Chub

Post by Jake Hamilton »

The Plucky was, largely, the forerunner to the current Sosy swimbaits. Link here:

http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/Lu ... /sosy.html
JAKE
"It's not the years, honey....it's the mileage"
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

Thanks for replies. Back in the 50s a device was sold that supposed to retrieve stuck lures. It resembled a heavy key ring to which one tied a length of strong string.. So we have a lure stuck on the bottom, we thread the key ring thingy on our line and proceed to jiggle it down the line to the lure and try to snag a hook. This rarely happens but it whiles away half an hour or so.. Eventually we break the line and the 'lure retriever' then lies at the bottom of the basket never to be used again.
And yes, I still use my basket, have no time for these modern boxes. A basket gives what we called a weavers bottom, caused by sitting motionless on the basket all day.
Just old and knackered.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

As Alan said Rosemary, they crop up on eBay from time to time. Difficult to find in really good condition these days and often quite expensive if you do find one! Having said that, used but fishable ones can be picked up more cheaply :wink:

These are early ones from my collection, circa 1950's (plus their cousin, the Rublex 'Tourby'). I like old French lures - there is something appealingly weird about them!
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I knew it wouldn't take long before Mr Milfoil was along with some pics. :thumbs:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

I was waiting in anticipation Dave :laughs: .

Agreed John, there is a certain 'something' appeal to some of the old French lures.

Rosemary, up here we call that Basket bot ! I add the use of a cushion these days but, still have my old basket from 'when I were a lad'.

Will.
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

Thanks for replies. I have looked on e bay, they have a Plucky at £26 plus £17 postage but that is a big no no for me. There is someone advertising 6 lures, including a Plucky with a starting price of£0.99 so will keep an eye open for that. Still 5 days left for bidding. I guess you guys will also be keeping an eye on it.

Thank you John for your picture. I am sure that the little fellow on the right was the one that I once had.
Just old and knackered.
darknickyblue
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by darknickyblue »

Theres one on ebay right now for £33...