Lures vs Wobbling Deadbaits

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
darknickyblue
Stickleback
Stickleback

Lures vs Wobbling Deadbaits

Post by darknickyblue »

Hi all,
I have a basic but interesting question..what is the most effective- shop bought lures, or retrieving an actual deadbait to lure in the pike?
I am not too fussed about the pros and cons..ie one can cast further or one is cheaper etc etc..JUST would like to know which is more EFFECTIVE for actually catching a pike. Lets assume a standard easy access relatively weed free river in the summer as a scenario..which is best? Any replies greatl appreciated since my lure success seems to blank more than often so looking at alternatives from you pros!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Lures vs Wobbling Deadbaits

Post by davelumb »

On their day either might be 'best'. :wink:

If you're not catching much on lures it's most likely because you're using the wrong lures in the wrong places, or fishing them badly in the right places.

Sadly, there is no simple answer to catching more pike on lures. And there will always be days when the pike just won't play ball! :laughs:
darknickyblue
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by darknickyblue »

Cheers for the response Dave.. Im thinking wobbling deadbait might be favourable since i cannot go wrong with my technique there..got it down to a T so that eliminates me always worrying about what lure or to change lures constantly. Anyone else agree?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

If you are confident with a technique that's always a good start. :thumbs:

If depths are not too great it might be worth replacing a deadbait with an unweighted soft plastic lure for half an hour, and fish it similarly to how you would a wobbled deadbait.
LozHarropLures
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by LozHarropLures »

As Dave says confidence is a good start, if you think something works it isn't a pain to keep doing it. However there is another mantra like if it isn't working do something different.

I find the advantage of lures against a wobbled dead is lures left in the boot of the car for six months don't smell as bad as the dead.

The main think I would suggest is if you are just starting with lures DO NOT go out and buy them by the dozen(s) as in a year or so you will find you go out with maybe just a dozen lures. How to know what to buy and what will work for you is what I can't say.
Not as sensible nor as astute as some...
darknickyblue
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by darknickyblue »

Brill cheers Loz!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Lures were 'created' to negate the use of dead or live baits... wobbling or fishing deads sink and draw is good fun, but a well presented lure on the day will stuff them on every level and how many pike can you catch one lure? How many on one dead or live? Yep the math is very easy isn't it... but having said that, fishing vertically with say fireball jigheads and small deads for zander is actually more effective than using artificial bodies in soft plastic, of course there are reasons for that unique combo. But wobbling deads - nah, lures every time, well unless you've not got any on you and need a moving bait, then they'll 'do'. About the only time I'll resort to the method.
Piking Plonker
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I was told that on a certain broad system that you'd increase you catch rates by only using wobbled baits.......that was soon proved wrong with a number of different shads patterns.