Salmo sliders

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
steved
Stickleback
Stickleback

Salmo sliders

Post by steved »

Morning all, (no fishing atm so buying stuff instead, next best thing??) thinking of picking a couple of these up (10cm version) for when the weather/water cools down. Not sure about floating or sinking. The river i fish (when it's appropriate to) is about 2m depth occasionally deeper in places with plenty of snag potential in places. Does anyone know the sink rate of the sinker and does the floater only stay in the top couple of inches? I like the idea of a sinker to cover max amount of water but if it sinks like a brick I find it unlikely I'll keep out of snags. Any favourite colours? Thanks gents.
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Salmo sliders

Post by Jimk2 »

I would get both, From memory the floating slider will go down up to 1m depending how you fish it.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steved
Fish heavy and use calibrated split rings and/or hooks you know will bend out, that way you'll get the majority of your snagged-up's back,

FYI I use 100lb Spiderwire with 30 or 40lb rings.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
steved
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by steved »

Cheers. Food for thought.
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

Great lures. Oddly I do better on the floaters but you need a trace that will drag it down a little. Most of the current Ti traces are too light so I switch to a heavy wire trace (home made with welding wire) they then dive down to around a metre and really work well. Great lure and now in nice colours.No good adding weight as it just ruins the action
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

You need to give them a good thump thump thump to get them really deep
John O Grady
Perch
Perch

Post by John O Grady »

Either will work in 2m of water.. id probably go with one of each tbh. 10cm floating fatso crank also very very good in these depths
C722
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by C722 »

I use the sinking versions, and fish similar depth rivers to you. Tinsel Town is my favourite colour. Remember to give them pasues on the retrive!
steved
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by steved »

Excellent, thanks all. Moral of this story seems to be if in doubt buy everything. It feels good to know I'm helping the fishing industry stay afloat. Think I might pick up a 6cm (the 5 being too light for my rod) version for perch. Any thoughts??
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

These are actually a really good trolling lure too.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Jimk2 wrote: Thu Aug 16 2018 16:48 -
Agreed Jim, although they are a bit indecisive :scratch: , I think I'll go this way, no I'll go that way, no this way was better, no back to the other way, :laughs: :laughs: .

Vastly different action to regular trolling lures for sure but, they certainly do work.

Will.
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Aug 16 2018 20:04 -
Agreed Jim, although they are a bit indecisive :scratch: , I think I'll go this way, no I'll go that way, no this way was better, no back to the other way, :laughs: :laughs: .

Vastly different action to regular trolling lures for sure but, they certainly do work.

Will.
Your overthinking Will, I just lob them out the back of the boat and they are really good catchers.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Will.
I see that as a good thing. I like a sudden change from a hypnotic left rigjt left right left right action. I feel it induces a take sometimes. Though ive never seen my sliders do that they always just slide in left to right. Thats bank though :shrug:
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

Andrew Croft wrote: Sun Aug 19 2018 16:58 -

Will.
I see that as a good thing. I like a sudden change from a hypnotic left rigjt left right left right action. I feel it induces a take sometimes. Though ive never seen my sliders do that they always just slide in left to right. Thats bank though :shrug:
You should try a hybrid jerkbait. Depending on the maker, they can have the most unpredictable jerkbait action. :thumbs:

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

They look nice Dennis, what type of action do they have, hoping you will say erratic or very erratic.

And who made them for you or are they your own work ?

Will.
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

These 2 are made by robbaits in the netherlands. Top one is a striker, bottom one is a rattling torrob. (not getting paid for this)
They have a side to side action, with a rolling wobble if you jerk it right, but if you are off on the amount of slack they can do some weird up and down movement or just go straight forward.

But there are plenty of other hybrid jerkbaits that have unpredictable actions, most unfortunately are handmade meaning they're hard to find and expensive to lose.

Maybe someone on here knows some UK made hybrids.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Sliders are OK, nothing special IMO though and I've had a few fall to bits, albeit after quite a battering. Floating for me - sinkers are prone to tangling if you work them too quickly. Also, as others have said, the floater makes quite a good shallow trolling lure. Colours? Orange/black and Firetiger. I always add Bucher split rings and change the hooks on them BTW.
Piking Plonker
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I've never owned a Slider but sinking Fatsos are one of my all time favourites. The shell-like finish comes off pretty quickly when they pike are really up for it, but at a tenner a pop you can just buy another.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

andrew_nagel wrote: Tue Aug 21 2018 20:31 -
I've never owned a Slider but sinking Fatsos are one of my all time favourites. The shell-like finish comes off pretty quickly when they pike are really up for it, but at a tenner a pop you can just buy another.
You should give em a shot. I freakin love the things.

One of mines is in an awful state paint and undercoat chipped off. Full of teeth marks and scratched to bits. i think its improved its catch rate to be fair. I'll use it till theres no paint left and still keep using it :laughs:
steved
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by steved »

I find that with flies for trout Andrew. Some of my most productive flies look like nothing other than an old sock on a hook. Once they have been battered a bit they catch more.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

steved wrote: Thu Aug 23 2018 11:28 -
I find that with flies for trout Andrew. Some of my most productive flies look like nothing other than an old sock on a hook. Once they have been battered a bit they catch more.
Theres an old trout angler i know ties somethin called a crippled midge. Its missing some legs :laughs:
steved
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by steved »

Done deal. Sinking in orange & black, floating in firetiger. Sovereign superbaits here we come. Thanks for the advice gents.