Quick Clip

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Sparks73
Stickleback
Stickleback

Quick Clip

Post by Sparks73 »

I'm new to this style of fishing, I really enjoy the mobile appraoch, when I go carping I take everything bar the kitchen sink! Could someone recommend a quick clip as I am struggling with the fittley little push clips! I am fishing small lures upto 15g. :wave:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Quick Clip

Post by Mike J »

Ive used the smaller size Bill Norman Speed aka quick Clips for Large Mouth Bass, a species which jump around quite a bit!
Same brand in the larger size for UK Bass for shore luring, I use nothing else.
Never had a failure, not once.

Would not use them for Pike though, simply because you just never know whats coming along next?

Mustad Stay-lock or 8mm split ring for me.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris b
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris b »

Stringease Stay-loks in what ever size you think is best for the job.
If poss try avoid the mustad branded ones they aint the same as the origs.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I would strongly avoid most brands of clips, especially any sold by UK tackle companies. They'll mainly be cheap crap, bought in bulk from China. Best bet is to buy a few hundred of the sizes you want from the States, then you're sorted for life. Stayloks are what I'd recommend for most situations, but in the smaller sizes start to get a bit fiddly. Rosco Duo Lock Snaps in the two smallest sizes are IMO better for smaller lures and have served me well over the years. I prefer the plain ones to the black coated. I can't recall ever having one fail me, same goes for Stayloks in the larger sizes.
Piking Plonker
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Just to approach this from another angle - the type of clip to avoid at all costs in any kind of pike trace is the one with a hook and eye.

These are OK as a lead attachment, in fact they're ideal for that application - but nothing else.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

John Milford wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 11:10 -
Just to approach this from another angle - the type of clip to avoid at all costs in any kind of pike trace is the one with a hook and eye.

These are OK as a lead attachment, in fact they're ideal for that application - but nothing else.
Gemini clip ?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Chris b wrote: Tue Sep 11 2018 03:12 -
Any stockists of the Stringease ones yet?

It's been some time since it was announced that Stringease were resuming production of the originals, but I'm yet to see any for sale in the UK.

My old stock is down to the last few, and I agree that the Mustads were nowhere near as strong.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Andrew Croft wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 11:34 -

Gemini clip ?
No, these Andrew. I think they're called 'Snap clips'?

A worrying number of shop-bought 'spin traces' still have them fitted.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

John Milford wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 12:54 -

Gemini clip ?

Oooohh. Yup seen them used for clipping traces to mainline and lures. Total pish.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Gemini clip ?

I wouldn’t use anything else than these John,never had a failure yet ,think I’m using a size 4,
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Nige Johns wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 13:15 -

Gemini clip ?

I wouldn’t use anything else than these John,never had a failure yet ,think I’m using a size 4,
I used them on lure traces in the very distant past Nige. The problem I found with them was that the lip of a crank bait could lever the 'eye' out of the 'hook'. I found them 'open' in the net a couple of times, which was enough to make me stop using them in favour of 'Cross-loks'.

I'm guessing size 4 is fairly substantial in the wire guage, but their susceptibility to leverage was my main worry.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

John Milford wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 14:03 -
Nige Johns wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 13:15 -

Gemini clip ?

I used them on lure traces in the very distant past Nige. The problem I found with them was that the lip of a crank bait could lever the 'eye' out of the 'hook'. I found them 'open' in the net a couple of times, which was enough to make me stop using them in favour of 'Cross-loks'.

I'm guessing size 4 is fairly substantial in the wire guage, but their susceptibility to leverage was my main worry.
Yep, same here, John. I had one open up about 30 years ago, and it cost me my beloved red/white jointed Hi-Lo. Thankfully it wasn't on a fish, the lure just fell off as I was messing about jigging it in the margins :cry:

That was a third of my lure "collection" gone, at the time! :laughs:
hb904460
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by hb904460 »

Lost a blade from a spinner bait using those clip. I certainly wouldn't use them to attach a lure.
seanyboy
Perch
Perch

Post by seanyboy »

Screenshot_20181003-191357_Google.jpg
these are what I use for attaching my small crankbaits,jigs for perch fishing,they do them in various sizes the smallest being ideal for the size lures you mentioned
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 12:50 -
Chris b wrote: Tue Sep 11 2018 03:12 -

It's been some time since it was announced that Stringease were resuming production of the originals, but I'm yet to see any for sale in the UK.

My old stock is down to the last few, and I agree that the Mustads were nowhere near as strong.

Been looking round since they announced it but seems the only person that has them is Chico got him to make some Ti leaders for me using them a few weeks ago they’re definitely better quality than the mustad ones I have.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Soon. :wink:
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

I wish someone loved the Mustad ones, have several thousand thrown in a corner.
Last edited by Chico 48 PAC on Thu Oct 04 2018 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Gemini clip ?

Only thing I`d ever use those for is attaching leads (and for short casts too). Theyre actually quite useful for attaching leads in snaggy swims, as they`ll open out easily so you get the rig back if the lead snags. That alone proves that theyre way too risky for attaching traces or lures.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 11:51 -
Keep us posted please, Dave. I'm ready to re-stock (and bin the Mustad ones I bought) as soon as they're available :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 12:14 -

Gemini clip ?

Only thing I`d ever use those for is attaching leads (and for short casts too). Theyre actually quite useful for attaching leads in snaggy swims, as they`ll open out easily so you get the rig back if the lead snags. That alone proves that theyre way too risky for attaching traces or lures.
When I first used that style of clip they were OK for clipping traces on. Mustad or Drennan branded in those days. Today there are lots of cheap copies which are definitely not trustworthy for anything other than lead attachment.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 12:28 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 12:14 -

Gemini clip ?

When I first used that style of clip they were OK for clipping traces on. Mustad or Drennan branded in those days. Today there are lots of cheap copies which are definitely not trustworthy for anything other than lead attachment.
Yes mate, the older original versions were stronger, but I still didn't trust em for anything pike-related apart from leads. They only have to open out a few mm for the pin to pop out of the loop, and then the whole clip opens very easily :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Im always amazed at the amount of attention these clip topics get.

Maybe i should start one about buffer beads :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 12:24 -
Keep us posted please, Dave. I'm ready to re-stock (and bin the Mustad ones I bought) as soon as they're available :thumbs:
Size 3 and size 4 Stringease Stay-Loks now in stock. :smile:

£3.10 per pack of ten, or £15.00 per 50. Post and packing £3.00 on orders under £25.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Gemini clip ?

I used them for clipping my deadbait traces to the main line all the time back in the day,f**k me we must be talking about 40 odd years ago,don't ever remember one opening up on me,but me memorie ain't that good anyway,They do look a bit suspect but like i said they served me well,maybe they might not be to good for lure fishing,anyway I use cross loks now(think thats what they are called)
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

We all used whatever was available "back in the day" Delboy :thumbs: I'm sure I've used them to connect hook traces the mainline too, when they first became popular (before that, the old 'McMahon' clips seemed to be the main type in use).

Surprising really, as clips similar to crossloks have been around since Victorian times :pipe:

delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

No way that one will open up :thumbs:
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Andrew Croft wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 15:09 -

I'm not. I think it's a good topic to discuss, as it's something a lot of people seem to be completely clueless over, even the people selling you the gear. I suspect many (with some very obvious exceptions) on here know they're onions, but the wider fishing community who occasionally chuck an Ondex... I think not. Most tackle shops I go in still sell some utter crap when it comes to lure leaders. Even the better clips, such as crossloks, aren't the greatest. I've had them open up on me, albeit a fairly infrequent occurrence, I would never use them now. The Staylok is IMO the way to go if you want to do things properly.
Piking Plonker
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Mark Phillips wrote: Tue Oct 16 2018 19:38 -
Andrew Croft wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 15:09 -

I'm not. I think it's a good topic to discuss, as it's something a lot of people seem to be completely clueless over, even the people selling you the gear. I suspect many (with some very obvious exceptions) on here know they're onions, but the wider fishing community who occasionally chuck an Ondex... I think not. Most tackle shops I go in still sell some utter crap when it comes to lure leaders. Even the better clips, such as crossloks, aren't the greatest. I've had them open up on me, albeit a fairly infrequent occurrence, I would never use them now. The Staylok is IMO the way to go if you want to do things properly.
Like all rig bits Mark,it’s becomes a matter of personal choice and then experience using them,
http://britishseafishing.co.uk/wp-conte ... pclips.jpg

I’ve used these clips in bait traces for donkeys years with a sleeve as added security and never had a problem,yet to some they are crap,
horses for courses and all that :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 16 2018 15:28 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 12:24 -
Size 3 and size 4 Stringease Stay-Loks now in stock. :smile:

£3.10 per pack of ten, or £15.00 per 50. Post and packing £3.00 on orders under £25.
Cheers Dave. Webshop still says packs of 9 branded Mustad though :scratch:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Whatever the type of clip used, I suppose the most important thing is to buy quality, branded products like Rosco, Sampo, Berkley, Rapala, or anyone who has a big brand reputation to maintain. We all spend hundreds of pounds on top lures, rods, line, wire and reels, so why balk as paying a few bob extra on the final link and scrimp with cheap, bulk looky-likies?

Quality control on construction, wire temper and strength are probably more critical than the type most of the time? :shrug: