Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Quick Clip

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 12:37 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 16 2018 15:28 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 12:24 -
davelumb wrote: Thu Oct 04 2018 11:51 -
Any stockists of the Stringease ones yet?
Soon. :wink:
Keep us posted please, Dave. I'm ready to re-stock (and bin the Mustad ones I bought) as soon as they're available :thumbs:
Size 3 and size 4 Stringease Stay-Loks now in stock. :smile:

£3.10 per pack of ten, or £15.00 per 50. Post and packing £3.00 on orders under £25.
Cheers Dave. Webshop still says packs of 9 branded Mustad though :scratch:
That's because they're a Pit Special for the time being. :wink:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

davelumb wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 14:16 -
Keep us posted please, Dave. I'm ready to re-stock (and bin the Mustad ones I bought) as soon as they're available :thumbs:

£3.10 per pack of ten, or £15.00 per 50. Post and packing £3.00 on orders under £25.
I'll drop you an email then :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 14:21 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 14:16 -

I'll drop you an email then :thumbs:
:thumbs:
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Here’s a curve ball, what do you think about this ???
F0457735-B6D1-44E8-B220-A0CFAF6D75BC.jpeg
It’s basically an XL fly clip that I’ve used extensively in the sea with absolutely no problems. Surface work walking the dog, divers, sink an draw, done it all with never a hint of anything working loose.
It’s rated to 22lb, on 28lb wire, I’ve got 20lb braid on one reel and 15lb mono on the other so my line should go before the link.
Keeps things a bit more simple and subtle, the only issue I can think is that although there’s a swivel at the end of the trace, it probably isn’t any good for spinners/spoons but for Soft and Hard plastics it’ll be fine ?!?

Whaddayathink ?!?!? Be gentle :laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 15:22 -
It’s basically an XL fly clip that I’ve used extensively in the sea with absolutely no problems. Surface work walking the dog, divers, sink an draw, dinebit all with never a hint of anything working loose.
It’s rated to 22lb, on 28lb wire, I’ve got 20lb braid on one reel and 15lb mono on the other so my line should go before the link.
Keeps things a bit more simple and subtle, the only issue I can think is that although there’s a swivel at the end of the trace, it probably isn’t any good for spinners/spoons but for Soft and Hard plastics it’ll be fine ?!?

Gemini snood clips do the same job and are rated at 55lb. Good thing about clips like that is that you`re not opening and closing them constantly, which does create a weak point in the wire. Thats why the likes of crossloks can fail :thumbs:
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

On the subject of Crap gear. Trebles supplied with the vast majority of lures are absolute rubbish. You pay over 20 quid for a Guppie and you need to change the hooks. Steve D has been nagging me for years but being a tight git I usually wait until I get a problem. I always do switch them on Spoons and stuff but I certainly did not think the guppies would be that poor. The first fish I caught straitened the hook (luckily it was still landed) so I changed the one hook and the second original hook snapped on the next fish so I looked at the others and although they looked like Owners or Sakumas they most certainly were not. Lesson Leaned but it really should not be necessary.

Martin
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

It’s basically an XL fly clip that I’ve used extensively in the sea with absolutely no problems. Surface work walking the dog, divers, sink an draw, done it all with never a hint of anything working loose.

Sorry to sound like the Piking Police but I don't think you should be using 20lb braid or 15lb mono for pike fishing......as for the hook I would not trust it on any form of predator fishing. I know you will say you have never had a problem but believe me you will. We all hear stories of fat men living til 90 on a diet of beer and fish and chips but it does not mean you should try it :smile:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote: Fri Jan 04 2019 12:39 -

Sorry to sound like the Piking Police but I don't think you should be using 20lb braid or 15lb mono for pike fishing......as for the hook I would not trust it on any form of predator fishing. I know you will say you have never had a problem but believe me you will. We all hear stories of fat men living til 90 on a diet of beer and fish and chips but it does not mean you should try it :smile:
The vast majority of us managed perfectly well with 15lb mono for decades before braid became popular Martin?? As long as the tackle`s balanced and he`s not chucking big lures then there`s nothing wrong with it... :shrug:
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Mark_Houghton wrote: Fri Jan 04 2019 12:50 -

The vast majority of us managed perfectly well with 15lb mono for decades before braid became popular Martin?? As long as the tackle`s balanced and he`s not chucking big lures then there`s nothing wrong with it... :shrug:
Me too Mark but by the time you weaken (particularly braid) by knotting it I see no point in using anything so vulnarable, I use to cast lures with 10lb Mono in the belief that lures caught only jacks but theres "then and theres now" and I just think we should move forward, braids are now so thin I see no point in dropping below 30lb PP....anyway its just a view

Martin
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

John Milford wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 13:55 -
Whatever the type of clip used, I suppose the most important thing is to buy quality, branded products like Rosco, Sampo, Berkley, Rapala, or anyone who has a big brand reputation to maintain. We all spend hundreds of pounds on top lures, rods, line, wire and reels, so why balk as paying a few bob extra on the final link and scrimp with cheap, bulk looky-likies?

Quality control on construction, wire temper and strength are probably more critical than the type most of the time? :shrug:
Big brands can let you down too.I used Berkley swivels for 20 years and then broke one on a cast.That's all it takes to lose confidence in a brand.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote: Fri Jan 04 2019 13:14 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Fri Jan 04 2019 12:50 -

Me too Mark but by the time you weaken (particularly braid) by knotting it I see no point in using anything so vulnarable, I use to cast lures with 10lb Mono in the belief that lures caught only jacks but theres "then and theres now" and I just think we should move forward, braids are now so thin I see no point in dropping below 30lb PP....anyway its just a view

Martin
Thin braids have way less abrasion resistance than a decent 15lb mono Martin. If fishing snaggy swims a thin diameter braid isnt the best idea tbh. A lot of the bait lads still use mono in rocky swims up in Scotland etc for that reason. The only drawback with mono is that there`s less chance of getting a lure back from a snag if you hit one, compared to heavier b.s braids.
A useful tip to retain 100% knot strength is to double the line when tying, mono or braid :thumbs:
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Can’t see the problem with 15lb mono but that’s in the bin,as is the20lb braid, I’ve upgraded my braid to 50lb stuff now so you can sleep easy.
Which hook are you referring to ???
The diy double that was spoke about in a different thread ???
If so, can you elaborate please !
Joe Birch
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Same thread Joe, You asked for an opinion and I gave you one. Not saying I am right on either subject. On the Mono/Braid I simply suggested the 15lb Mono and 20lb braid would not be my choice for pike fishing. When looking at line widths always assume Knot stength which can reduce you tackle by 25%, also never trust braid manufacturers claims, the only accurate way to rate braid is width and thats a minefield as well. I don't use mono but nothing less than 30lb Power Pro braid is safe for pike IMHO. I only mention PP as it's usually under rated and if you test it with a knot it will still exceed 30lb. Not seen the clip let alone clips that are open which I would call a hook :smile: but so many clips fail and plenty of crazy jacks I catch would disconnect that gadget whatever you choose to call it. My opinion obviously but thats what you asked for

Regards

Martin
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

It looks crap, imo.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote: Sat Jan 05 2019 00:06 -

Same thread Joe, You asked for an opinion and I gave you one. Not saying I am right on either subject. On the Mono/Braid I simply suggested the 15lb Mono and 20lb braid would not be my choice for pike fishing. When looking at line widths always assume Knot stength which can reduce you tackle by 25%, also never trust braid manufacturers claims, the only accurate way to rate braid is width and thats a minefield as well. I don't use mono but nothing less than 30lb Power Pro braid is safe for pike IMHO. I only mention PP as it's usually under rated and if you test it with a knot it will still exceed 30lb. Not seen the clip let alone clips that are open which I would call a hook :smile: but so many clips fail and plenty of crazy jacks I catch would disconnect that gadget whatever you choose to call it. My opinion obviously but thats what you asked for

Regards

Martin
Fair enough mate :thumbs:
I do test my braid each time I get it and I’m getting my head round this heavy set up culture for pike, coming from bass lure fishing we’re you want things as light as you can get away with its just me learning and changing my mindset for different disciplines. Like I said, I’m up onto 50lb braid on my lure rod now, my bait rods with be getting changed in the very near future and that clip has been changed for Gemini clip rated to over 50lb. I’m also looking to up grade my whole set up to a rod an reel that will cast up 100-120g (I’m rated up to 40g at the mo :sad: ) so I can chuck the bigger lures and I will be putting heavier braid on this, so it’s taking time but I’m getting there as I get more experience. I don’t like to pester and ask millions of daft questions, I research and use trial and error on my own, hopefully not to the detriment of any fish, so I would never knowingly do anything that could cause them problems.
To the best of my knowledge, all my catches so far have been returned safe and sound, no snap offs with or without fish hooked, although I’ve lost the odd lure :red: , all have swam off, none have gone belly up straight away at my feet, all have been unhooked , photographed and returned quickly from bait and lures.
I’m not a novice angler, just didn’t have masses of experience in fishing for pike so I’m learning. And without offending, just coz somebody tells me “this is the way it’s done”, doesn’t mean I’ll do it ! If it makes total sense then I’ll adapt to it but if I’m not sure, I experiment or trial different approaches to find a style that suits.
Just because people come on here an get something wrong doesn’t make them blundering idiots, just means they’re learning or experimenting as I have been :wink:

Sorry, rant over, not aimed at anyone in particular and if I’m honest I’ve generally had a welcoming reception from everyone on here so I was just venting !

Happy new year :handshake:
Joe Birch
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Andrew Croft wrote: Sat Jan 05 2019 00:13 -

It looks crap, imo.
It’s not crap used in the right set up for the right species...............but your right, it is crap for pike :laughs:
It’s been changed :thumbs:
Joe Birch
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Sat Jan 05 2019 10:08 -

Regards

Martin
I do test my braid each time I get it and I’m getting my head round this heavy set up culture for pike, coming from bass lure fishing we’re you want things as light as you can get away with its just me learning and changing my mindset for different disciplines. Like I said, I’m up onto 50lb braid on my lure rod now, my bait rods with be getting changed in the very near future and that clip has been changed for Gemini clip rated to over 50lb. I’m also looking to up grade my whole set up to a rod an reel that will cast up 100-120g (I’m rated up to 40g at the mo :sad: ) so I can chuck the bigger lures and I will be putting heavier braid on this, so it’s taking time but I’m getting there as I get more experience. I don’t like to pester and ask millions of daft questions, I research and use trial and error on my own, hopefully not to the detriment of any fish, so I would never knowingly do anything that could cause them problems.
To the best of my knowledge, all my catches so far have been returned safe and sound, no snap offs with or without fish hooked, although I’ve lost the odd lure :red: , all have swam off, none have gone belly up straight away at my feet, all have been unhooked , photographed and returned quickly from bait and lures.
I’m not a novice angler, just didn’t have masses of experience in fishing for pike so I’m learning. And without offending, just coz somebody tells me “this is the way it’s done”, doesn’t mean I’ll do it ! If it makes total sense then I’ll adapt to it but if I’m not sure, I experiment or trial different approaches to find a style that suits.
Just because people come on here an get something wrong doesn’t make them blundering idiots, just means they’re learning or experimenting as I have been :wink:

Sorry, rant over, not aimed at anyone in particular and if I’m honest I’ve generally had a welcoming reception from everyone on here so I was just venting !

Hi Joe,
Im also a shore gamer and Ive caught the majority of my top fish from the shore, my first on an Allcocks split cane rod, gold Ambidex, 6lb Platil and a German sprat, progressing to J14s and ferruled glass rods thro Lunkers to Lucky Strikes on and top Japanese rods, reels and PE braids.
The difference in shore gaming bass and lure fishing pike is that a bass from the shore offers little but hard runs and near surface fighting (unless your fishing from a high position) whereas a pike is nearly always hooked close to snags, sunken debris or dense weed and even if a fish fights well away from such problems you still require strong enough line to bend your hooks out when you snag up.
My reels are Shim 401Ds but they could never take the pressure required to break my 100lb Spiderwire which apart from bending my hooks/rings out I have used to drag in a huge sunken branch, half a garden seat and recently a bike frame.

You obviously know that bass sized lures will catch pike, but when your fully loaded for bear try a serious sized pike lure for bass :thumbs:

(Remember the 20+ a few years back that coughed up a 1lb Pout when it was landed) :wink:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jan 05 2019 11:26 -

Regards

Martin

Hi Joe,
Im also a shore gamer and Ive caught the majority of my top fish from the shore, my first on an Allcocks split cane rod, gold Ambidex, 6lb Platil and a German sprat, progressing to J14s and ferruled glass rods thro Lunkers to Lucky Strikes on and top Japanese rods, reels and PE braids.
The difference in shore gaming bass and lure fishing pike is that a bass from the shore offers little but hard runs and near surface fighting (unless your fishing from a high position) whereas a pike is nearly always hooked close to snags, sunken debris or dense weed and even if a fish fights well away from such problems you still require strong enough line to bend your hooks out when you snag up.
My reels are Shim 401Ds but they could never take the pressure required to break my 100lb Spiderwire which apart from bending my hooks/rings out I have used to drag in a huge sunken branch, half a garden seat and recently a bike frame.

You obviously know that bass sized lures will catch pike, but when your fully loaded for bear try a serious sized pike lure for bass :thumbs:

(Remember the 20+ a few years back that coughed up a 1lb Pout when it was landed) :wink:
Yeah I agree with you to a certain point but a lot of the places I Bass fish are full of submerged rocks and reefs and forests of kelp and japweed, which are obviously where the bass hang out and hunt. I have seen fellas smashed up on these reefs and tied up in knots round the weed (might have happened to me once or twice as well :red: ), but 20lb (0.16) braid is the norm and a personal preference if you use some sort of leader. I normally use a 24-30” fluoro leader of about 12-15lb bs attached via an FG knot and one of the previously mentioned clips. The lighter set up helps against tidal flow and weed as you probably know so is a balance between strength and function.
I get the whole heavy set up for pike tho, hence why I’m going that way in my set up, it makes sense and generally doesn’t seem to spook them having a length of tow rope attached to an alien looking piece of soft plastic with sharp things hanging off it so that’s good :wink:

I haven’t heard of this 20lber story tbh but I’ll be looking it up now, and my heavy set up I’m looking at getting, I want to get a baitcaster that will be ok to use in saltwater for the exact reason you’ve put. To chuck some big feckers around for Bass’zilla :thumbs:
Joe Birch
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Joe
Re the 20+, you have a PM.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Regards

Martin

Had I spoke to you personally I would not have come accross so harshly but I am old enough and ugly enough to now say what I know to be right. I have heavy PP on one set up for when I throw Dawgs and other big rubbers but for most of my luring I use 30lb PP happily. As others have said the thing you called a clip hardly qualifies as anything you would want a pike to grab hold of. Ive had a broads 30 and plenty of 20s over the years and believe me with a big fish on the end you want everthing to be right at the sharp end but really it the smaller fish that give your tackle the real test. When a 6 or 7 pounders goes crazy that hook of yours would not stand a chance and to risk everything on light line when its not necassary is a no brainer.....Don't worry about ranting :cheers:
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

I use these: https://goo.gl/images/6FLNai

Initially I was a bit sceptical, thought a lively / jumping pike might be able to throw the lure round. Hasn't happened yet, have been using them quite a while. And I don't now see how it could. There's also no risk of metal fatigue, as there's nothing opening / closing each time you use it. And they're great if you have cold hands etc. Nothing fiddly.

Only downside is, when I break rods down, it can't easily clip on to a rod ring.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Oh - I posted that before seeing the second page. It now looks a bit of an abrupt change in tone. Worth qualifying, maybe - I use this on my lighter lure set up, lures to about 80g. Think from memory that the clip's rated to 75lb.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed