Soft trace \ hooklink material for spinning

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
danuk42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Soft trace \ hooklink material for spinning

Post by danuk42 »

Hi guys,
Fairly new to Pike fishing and just wondered what some of you guys thought of soft strand materials like, for example, Drennan soft strand.
I will be fishing for Perch and smaller Pike and would like to tie the lure \ spinner on if possible.
Are there any products you recommend \ don't recommend.
Thanks, Dan.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Soft trace \ hooklink material for spinning

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Hi ya Dan and welcome aboard, cant help with the question though as I don't lure fish :giggle: but that wondertress could be an option if an expensive one :wink:
Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I had some stuff years ago that was a combination of braid or dyneema and wire.

It was a t**t for pig-tailing but knotted like braid and was great for a fish or two before having to change it.

The name of it was something like;

power plus, pro plus, pro power but I can't recall exactly and google hasn't given any results with combinations of those names.

Definitely not power pro before anyone mentions it!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Why waste fishing time tying lures on?
Just use a clip like pretty much everyone else.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Daniel wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 20:07 -
But how do you fit the clip onto the trace?

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 22:17 -

Cheers Alan
Knot or crimp, but it's a one time thing, how often do you change lures in a session?
If you change lures 20 times in a session at a minute per change it doesn't take a genius such as yourself to realise you've wasted a lot of time out of your day.

Use a clip, a lure change is done in seconds and you're back fishing. You can't catch anything if you don't have a lure in the water.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Daniel wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 23:08 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 22:17 -

Cheers Alan
Knot or crimp, but it's a one time thing, how often do you change lures in a session?
If you change lures 20 times in a session at a minute per change it doesn't take a genius such as yourself to realise you've wasted a lot of time out of your day.

Use a clip, a lure change is done in seconds and you're back fishing. You can't catch anything if you don't have a lure in the water.
No no ,Daniel I didn't mean that :red: :laughs: what I meant was the a clip must be fixed on to the trace somehow, once the clip is either crimped or knotted onto the trace with a swivel at the other end, lures can be changed quickly!

Cheers Alan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome Dan

The wire I use for spinning is Rio Wire Bite.
It has 49 strands, is covered in tough nylon, is soft, flexible and knots very well.

Attach one end to your line with an Albright knot. https://www.animatedknots.com/albright/
Attack a link and swivel to the other with a Grinner/Uni knot. https://www.animatedknots.com/duncan/index.php

Test each knot well before going fishing,

Both knots will last a season if tied correctly.

:thumbs: Mike
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris b
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris b »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 19:54 -

It was a t**t for pig-tailing but knotted like braid and was great for a fish or two before having to change it.

power plus, pro plus, pro power but I can't recall exactly and google hasn't given any results with combinations of those names.

Pro leader it was called great for UL stuff or fly leaders.
Only link i could find for it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spool-of-3-m ... SwzC9bPKSN
danuk42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by danuk42 »

Thanks guys. Will take a look at those suggestions.
Mike, thanks. I can tie the Albright knot, but had intended on just attaching the soft wire\material to my mainline via a swivel?
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris b wrote: Mon Sep 24 2018 14:16 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Sep 23 2018 19:54 -

Pro leader it was called great for UL stuff or fly leaders.
Only link i could find for it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spool-of-3-m ... SwzC9bPKSN
I think that's the same stuff, different packaging to mine but that can change.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

danuk42 wrote: Mon Sep 24 2018 16:50 -
Thanks guys. Will take a look at those suggestions.
Mike, thanks. I can tie the Albright knot, but had intended on just attaching the soft wire\material to my mainline via a swivel?

Your choice Dan.
I dislike added exras myself.
There is the plus that the Albright wont knock the liner out of your tip ring.

:handshake:
Last edited by Mike J on Sun Sep 30 2018 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kangawollabat
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Kangawollabat »

I run heavy stainless clips crimped to 100lb fluorocarbon which is then FG knotted to a 100lb braided mainline.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kangawollabat wrote: Sat Sep 29 2018 15:31 -
I run heavy stainless clips crimped to 100lb fluorocarbon which is then FG knotted to a 100lb braided mainline.

Please do not use 100lb Flurocarbon as a leader material for Pike.
40lb Wire Bite is thinner (0.6mm), softer, far more flexible and TOTALLY and utterly bite proof.
Whatever you have read or been told Pike are not leader shy and can be caught regularly with leaders made from 1.2mm stainless welding rods.

FYI The correct crimp for 100lb a copper 1mm double barrel, compressed with the correct die tool the Fluro will break before a crimp slips.
I produced leaders and wind-on in 100-500lb Fluro commercially and have seen 100lb cut clean through with 30lb mono.

Well done if you've mastered the FG. :thumbs:
Kangawollabat
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Kangawollabat »

Mike J wrote: Sun Sep 30 2018 11:17 -

40lb Wire Bite is thinner (0.6mm), softer, far more flexible and TOTALLY and utterly bite proof.
Whatever you have read or been told Pike are not leader shy and can be caught regularly with leaders made from 1.2mm stainless welding rods.

FYI The correct crimp for 100lb a copper 1mm double barrel, compressed with the correct die tool the Fluro will break before a crimp slips.
I produced leaders and wind-on in 100-500lb Fluro commercially and have seen 100lb cut clean through with 30lb mono.

Thanks for the advice. But the gear I use has never let me down whether it be pike or some other toothy water creature. And I see the fisho’s on the continent using fluoro more and more..

The feared FG knot is not that hard to master just need the right technique. There are a good few tuturials on youtube, an Aussie fella named Briggsy uses the same method as me.

EDIT: I run Fluoro leaders because braided mainlines need a shock leader to help prevent pulled hooks. Nothing to do with pike being leader shy.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Kangawollabat wrote: Thu Oct 18 2018 18:54 -
EDIT: I run Fluoro leaders because braided mainlines need a shock leader to help prevent pulled hooks. Nothing to do with pike being leader shy.
100lb fluoro isn't exactly a bungee cord :scratch:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Thanks for the advice. But the gear I use has never let me down whether it be pike or some other toothy water creature. And I see the fisho’s on the continent using fluoro more and more..

The feared FG knot is not that hard to master just need the right technique. There are a good few tuturials on youtube, an Aussie fella named Briggsy uses the same method as me.

Hi Aussie
You are mistaken.
Fluorocarbon has less elasticity than nylon. When stretched it does not recover but remains elongated and therefore cannot help in preventing hook pulls.
Test a length and prove it for yourself.

I have employed the FG since it was published on the far east websites, a great connection for popping surface tuna and as you say not hard to complete given a little attention to the finer detail.

Lastly, I wish you would reconsider your use of Flourocarbon leaders?
If you do not I sincerely hope no other Pike anglers choose to follow your example.

owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

Watch pike fight 2017 on youtube and you'll see those continental fisho types being bitten off on 4 or 5 occasions in one competition.I dread to think what's going on around the country every weekend if people are copying them.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mike J wrote: Thu Oct 18 2018 19:30 -

Hi Aussie
You are mistaken.
Fluorocarbon has less elasticity than nylon. When stretched it does not recover but remains elongated and therefore cannot help in preventing hook pulls.
Test a length and prove it for yourself.

I have employed the FG since it was published on the far east websites, a great connection for popping surface tuna and as you say not hard to complete given a little attention to the finer detail.

Lastly, I wish you would reconsider your use of Flourocarbon leaders?
If you do not I sincerely hope no other Pike anglers choose to follow your example.

Here we go... get a length of FC and drag it across a pike's teeth a few times... it gets nicked up straight away and then... ding. There is NO reason whatsoever to use anything but wire for pike. They're not going to refuse your lure because of it. You have to be some kind of idiot to use FC leaders for pike, end of. You gain nothing by doing it, apart from increasing the propensity of leaving a pike with a lure stuck in its mouth. USE WIRE.

To the question asked - most seven strand stainless and single strand titanium wires are fine for light spinning. Brand is personal preference, as most are very similar. I always crimp mine and use a swivel one end, clip the other. Make a lot of leaders and then you'll be happy changing them at any sign of damage.
Piking Plonker
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Its funny how some people cannot see what is so blatantly obvious to others :scratch: .
However, each to his own eh !
Will.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

I tend to use AFW Surflon Micro mostly these days on lighter set-ups, I.e. 40lb or less, I just tie a perfection loop in each end, then you can recycle Staylock clips and tied the other loop to your main line.

I used to use Rio Bite Wire for fly fishing but switched to Surflon as it’s basically the same, nylon coated 48 strand, knots easily and is half the price, readily available from Eddie Turner
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ian Crook wrote: Sun Oct 21 2018 21:23 -
I tend to use AFW Surflon Micro mostly these days on lighter set-ups, I.e. 40lb or less, I just tie a perfection loop in each end, then you can recycle Staylock clips and tied the other loop to your main line.

I used to use Rio Bite Wire for fly fishing but switched to Surflon as it’s basically the same, nylon coated 48 strand, knots easily and is half the price, readily available from Eddie Turner

Hi Ian,
I have actually picked apart a section of Rio Wire Bite and counted the individual strands and it came to 49.
So yes, like you Im sure Wire Bite and AFW 49 micro it is the same material.
I have also made a big online search I could only find one US wire manufacturer that produces 49 strand 7x7 wire.

:thumbs:
Terry D
Roach
Roach

Post by Terry D »

Mike J wrote: Mon Oct 22 2018 09:28 -
I have actually picked apart a section of Rio Wire Bite and counted the individual strands and it came to 49.
Psssst, Mike. Erm ... you know you actually said that out loud, yeah? :eek:

Those nights must positively FLY by at Single Hook Towers! :thumbs:
Learning is living, and I intend to do both as long as possible.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Terry D wrote: Mon Oct 22 2018 18:58 -
Psssst, Mike. Erm ... you know you actually said that out loud, yeah? :eek:

Those nights must positively FLY by at Single Hook Towers! :thumbs:

Comeon Tel, you know what its like when your retired and its a dead slow Sunday evening :laughs:
Gonna try for a spotted tourist tomorrow before the season ends leaving me with a blank sheet! (with a bit of Rio insurance on the tippet, justin :thumbs: )

:cheers:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Hi Ian,
I have also made a big online search I could only find one US wire manufacturer that produces 49 strand 7x7 wire.

I must be honest Mike, my research was more just bending it around and tying a few knots :pale:
Terry D
Roach
Roach

Post by Terry D »

Mike J wrote: Mon Oct 22 2018 19:45 -
Comeon Tel, you know what its like when your retired and its a dead slow Sunday evening :laughs:
Picture Mike, specs on end of nose, concentrating intently on a section of trace: '45, 46, 47 ... or was that 48? Sod it! (Sigh) I, 2, 3 ...'

:laughs:
Learning is living, and I intend to do both as long as possible.
steve wild
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by steve wild »

Hi Ian,

If you don't mind using a bright 49 strand wire, the the same U.S company that produces the 49 strand AFW does a 49 strand beading wire.
Use it all the time and a fraction of the price.
Get mine from here.
You can get 30ft ,breaking strain of 18kg for under a £10

https://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/str ... -wire.html
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I counted on a white tray, unwrapping a 1" offcut was simple, with my specks on the end of my nose (yes really)!

Cheers for the tip steve :thumbs:
CarpRboring!
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by CarpRboring! »

Get yourself a pre-rigged Titanium leader by Knot2Kinky, the great thing about titanium wire is that it's very low diameter but incredibly tough and will last you a very long time and hundreds of fish. Don't bother wasting time tying on lures when you can clip them on with ease and zero mess.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knot-2-Kinky ... rk:17:pf:0
To blank or not to blank, that is the question.