buster jerks

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
fishder
Perch
Perch

buster jerks

Post by fishder »

Just wondering how people rate these lures i have had good results on them in the past.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: buster jerks

Post by Steve Dennington »

I rate them very highly indeed. I tend to favour wooden glidebaits, but the Busters are just so productive they've earned a permanent place in my lure box :thumbs:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Which models in particular do you use Steve? They are a lure I've not tried, but maybe should.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

andrew_nagel wrote: Wed Sep 26 2018 15:59 -
Which models in particular do you use Steve? They are a lure I've not tried, but maybe should.
The 6" is a great all rounder for larger pike, and the Shallow version is deadly fished over the top of weed. The smaller ones are well worth a look too, the Buster Jerk II and Baby Buster both retain a nice glide and catch plenty of pike of all sizes.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Thanks... I'll take a test drive.
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Fantastic lures ,no need to add anything else they just work.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

Yes I can second everything Steve says although he will have to admit they do not always come out of the box and work first time... I suggest to try them in clear water to ensure they glide at a distance....they all work near the boat but some only started behaving properly half way home and you may have to change hook size or is it just weight to get them working well. I bought a big batch a couple of years back and several needed tweeking.

Salmo Sweepers on the other hand all glide perfectly but pike don't agree.

So for me when tweeked Busters are no1 followed by Salmo sliders in the 10cm model with Sweepers a poor third

Regards

Martin
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

cheers for the replys
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I picked up a few in Germany sometime back, didnt know they were available here.
Ive caught on them, but as Martin says they do need a tweek or two, hook sizes especially, presently I have one rigged with the breakaway L rig system popularised by Jens Bursell which has converted it into a sticker rather than a thrower.
Probably my 4th or 5th placed lure, certainly not a banker, but they get a swim if its dour.
Score 6/10
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
C722
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by C722 »

Good lures. Easy to work, just give them a pause every now and then. Personally think sliders are better in terms of numbers, but well worth having.
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

cheers for the replys
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

fishder wrote: Wed Sep 26 2018 11:21 -
Just wondering how people rate these lures i have had good results on them in the past.
I'd say, the 15cm sinking versions are one of the best off the shelf hard plastic lures of their type. I couldn't even tell you how many pike I have caught on them, but it's a lot. The rattles are loud, they are very consistent in construction, quality is excellent, paint jobs good (take a vast amount of punishment before a re-paint is needed), cast well (great lure to smash out into a head wind), hook up well and if you know how to work a jerk bait, boy they dance! Only gripes are the hooks, which are OK, but I prefer to upgrade them and also, the split rings, again OK, but I always fit Buchers to my bigger lures. I have about 30 Busters (probably more) in various colours, densities and sizes and most are battered with teeth marks. The smaller ones are lethal for big perch and also make a great throw back lure when the pike are proving lethargic. I never go out for pike without at least half a dozen Busters on me - I almost have force myself not to use them, as it can get a bit boring catching on the same lures. LOL. One of my Top Ten pike lures :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
jimmy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jimmy »

What leaders are best on these , tried with solid titanium and wasn’t too impressed with the action thinking maybe flexi leader better also when yous talk about hooks downsizing?
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

Solid trace for me....no more than 10" long other wise they won't work to their potential. I worry about the shorter traces but there is no danger of deep hooking so it has never caused me a problem. I use the 100lb traces from Jacksons
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I make my own 100lb single strand titanium leaders, 10" I agree is about right. Zero tangling issues using those with Busters or any other glide/jerk baits for that matter. Hook wise, a 2/0 of your choice is bang on for the 15cm Buster. I favour VMC's on mine, but the OEM hooks are OK to start with.
Piking Plonker
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Are busters (I've not used) favoured over belly busters? ( - have used - but prefer sliders)?
Peter Newman
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

peteren wrote: Sun Oct 28 2018 10:58 -
Are busters (I've not used) favoured over belly busters? ( - have used - but prefer sliders)?
Definitely preferred - in my experience belly busters are jack magnets and work shallower, with a tighter glide. Still a good lure, but not one I'd rate that highly. They have their day I suppose. Sliders can't get close to a properly worked buster, end of and the buster isn't prone to tangling with the leader when worked aggressively. I don't cast sliders anymore, I keep my collection in reserve for trolling duties.
Piking Plonker
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Oct 28 2018 11:09 -
Sliders can't get close to a properly worked buster, end of.
:thumbs:

Sliders have quite a following, but I've never been a big fan of them.
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

Totally agree Mark one off my top lures great choice off color and have got me some off my biggest fish I always tend to work them very aggressively.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

I have a few and although like its been said already I prefer wood but when I fished Rugen you needed super shallow bullhead colours and once I picked one up from the local tackle shop I saw the strike rate increase. Also worth giving the Jonny Vobblers a go :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!