Jigging and dropshot from boat

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
seanyboy
Perch
Perch

Jigging and dropshot from boat

Post by seanyboy »

I am thinking about giving these methods a go on my boat and wondered if any anglers on here did it,I know it is a successful method on the deeper Anglian water reservoirs but what about shallower venues,the venues I fish are in the fens,the venue I am keen to try it on is (I know you shouldn't name venues but I'm being vague)the Fenland area of the gt ouse targeting mainly perch,and zander(I know that zander are scarce)any tips on the methods equipment etc would be greatly appreciated
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Jigging and dropshot from boat

Post by Carlperkins »

Really enjoy drop shotting for perch

Then use them for trolling πŸ‘
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

seanyboy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 06 2018 20:41 -
I am thinking about giving these methods a go on my boat and wondered if any anglers on here did it,I know it is a successful method on the deeper Anglian water reservoirs but what about shallower venues,the venues I fish are in the fens,the venue I am keen to try it on is (I know you shouldn't name venues but I'm being vague)the Fenland area of the gt ouse targeting mainly perch,and zander(I know that zander are scarce)any tips on the methods equipment etc would be greatly appreciated
The same methods, rods and lures I use for zander and perch on the resis (vertical jig or drop shot) will be perfectly OK on the Ouse. I spent many a good day on that river using the same tactics to good effect. You just drift on the current and use the electric to steer the boat. For zander, aim to keep the jig an inch or so off the deck at all times, just lifting it a few inches now and again. Slowly does it... unless you want more pike that is... oh and when you get some structure, plot up and cast the jig, then bottom hop. Stand-up jig heads are better for this. I'm no expert when it comes to drop shoting mind, but I am sure others who are will provide some good tips for you... good luck for the winter buddy :cheers:
Piking Plonker
seanyboy
Perch
Perch

Post by seanyboy »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07 2018 20:02 -
The same methods, rods and lures I use for zander and perch on the resis (vertical jig or drop shot) will be perfectly OK on the Ouse. I spent many a good day on that river using the same tactics to good effect. You just drift on the current and use the electric to steer the boat. For zander, aim to keep the jig an inch or so off the deck at all times, just lifting it a few inches now and again. Slowly does it... unless you want more pike that is... oh and when you get some structure, plot up and cast the jig, then bottom hop. Stand-up jig heads are better for this. I'm no expert when it comes to drop shoting mind, but I am sure others who are will provide some good tips for you... good luck for the winter buddy :cheers:
Thanks for the reply Mark,that has given me the confidence to go out and try it :thumbs:
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

of course it works from a boat :thumbs:
heck of a lot more fun than vertical fishing too :laughs:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

seanyboy wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07 2018 20:28 -
Thanks for the reply Mark,that has given me the confidence to go out and try it :thumbs:
Confidence is all you need :thumbs: I've had some great days on the Ouse fishing vertically with jigs from the boat. Don't ignore trolling though. Easily the most productive method on most of the bigger Fen rivers - just be prepared for grief from the landlubbers :laughs:
Piking Plonker
seanyboy
Perch
Perch

Post by seanyboy »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09 2018 20:18 -
seanyboy wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07 2018 20:28 -
Confidence is all you need :thumbs: I've had some great days on the Ouse fishing vertically with jigs from the boat. Don't ignore trolling though. Easily the most productive method on most of the bigger Fen rivers - just be prepared for grief from the landlubbers :laughs:
I've had a couple of successful days trolling on 1 of the smaller tributarys of the ouse(R L##K)trolling super shad raps,but still trying to master the method,could you recommend me a few different lure patterns for the main river and the shallower rivers?
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Carlperkins wrote: ↑Sat Oct 06 2018 21:27 -
Really enjoy drop shotting for perch

Then use them for trolling πŸ‘
I hope to find out, still waiting for that invite lol
Hint hint face
Carlperkins
Bailiff