Drop shotting with pike present

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Pearbo
Roach
Roach

Drop shotting with pike present

Post by Pearbo »

I intend to have a go at drop shotting on a couple of little pits near me for some of the perch. One of these has pike, probably only jacks but pike nevertheless.

What sort of wire would you guys suggest as an uptrace that will still be subtle enough for the perch but will cope with the toothy critters.

Thanks in advance, Alex.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Drop shotting with pike present

Post by Mike J »

I have a friend who is a 'dropper' who has a decent number of twenty plussers while targeting Perch
He uses Rio Wire Bite, Ive also used it in the heavier BS for Pike, its easy to tie and very flexible.
A Dutch friend who caught some seriously big Perch from his canals also used a nylon cover wire but he would fish 3" Shads.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I tried incorporating wire, but found it clumsy and ineffective, so just stuck with 10lb mono. I should add that I hardly ever use dropshot lures bigger than 2", nor a hook larger than a size 4, so a bite-off wouldn't be particularly hazardous to a pike.

That said, in the process of catching thousands of perch on dropshot I've hooked just three pike. I landed two and got bitten off just once. I've hooked pike with more regularity on legered lobworms (and dropshotted lobworms!) so it shows that if you don't work your dropshot lure too vigorously it's very selective for catching perch.
Pearbo
Roach
Roach

Post by Pearbo »

Thanks, I’m ok on one little water as there are no pike, a angling club carp puddle but I know it’s done a 3lber this year so must be more.

I’ll have a look at the wire for the rivers. Quite a few round me as I’m deep in east anglia and have a river within 2 mins of my house.