Replicants, strange activity!

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Replicants, strange activity!

Post by Woodchucker »

I have done a lot of trolling with Replicants since they hit the market and when I get the tails bitten off I generally put them to one side and re-use the hooks (proper Yorkshireman :thumbs: ) And when I went through the pile of dead ones, the thing I noticed was how many of the dead lures are in Perch pattern so here is the question.

Do Pike realise that Perch are a spikey fish so hit them at the rear of the bait to immobilise before coming back and dealing with them hence the reason I have had so many tails taken?? :shrug:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Re: Replicants, strange activity!

Post by martin godliman »

Unlikely I would think, but I'm more surprised you don't stick on a replacement tail to keep a good soft plastic going almost any old cheap shad tail will suffice.....cheapskate that I am I even made up a plaster of paris mould and cast my own out ruined soft plastics.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

When I fished corrib for ferox we noticed when we used perch baits normally quite large ones caught from the Loch the trout would hit them head on and the takes were very violent. If the fish didn't hook up the bait would come in with the skull crushed and almost flattened. We thought maybe they were killing and trying to swallow the bait headfirst.
Ferox caught on roach would almost always be caught on the flying treble at the tail (disabling the bait)? Or a big fish would just engulf it. Trout and salmon smolts were taken mostly in the middle and would normally be hooked on the front treble.
I'm sure predators take different baits in different ways.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Timbo1
Roach
Roach

Post by Timbo1 »

I've had tails bitten off pretty much every Replicant pattern Mr Fox sells :afraid:
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

Love a bit of trolling. This is a slick pattern minus a tail.
607CB8C1-40E5-4F3F-AA7A-5598C911152E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Hincks
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Hincks »

Woodchucker wrote: ↑Tue Oct 23 2018 14:32 -
I have done a lot of trolling with Replicants since they hit the market and when I get the tails bitten off I generally put them to one side and re-use the hooks (proper Yorkshireman :thumbs: ) And when I went through the pile of dead ones, the thing I noticed was how many of the dead lures are in Perch pattern so here is the question.

Do Pike realise that Perch are a spikey fish so hit them at the rear of the bait to immobilise before coming back and dealing with them hence the reason I have had so many tails taken?? :shrug:
Would you say you use perch more than other colours?
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I use perch as live bait over anything else
Big and small and find they get nailed either way πŸ‘
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

martin godliman wrote: ↑Tue Oct 23 2018 15:10 -
Unlikely I would think, but I'm more surprised you don't stick on a replacement tail to keep a good soft plastic going almost any old cheap shad tail will suffice.....cheapskate that I am I even made up a plaster of paris mould and cast my own out ruined soft plastics.
I have done it before using Sandra tails but I just thought it was strange that Perch pattern took the most battering around the tails.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 23 2018 15:37 -
When I fished corrib for ferox we noticed when we used perch baits normally quite large ones caught from the Loch the trout would hit them head on and the takes were very violent. If the fish didn't hook up the bait would come in with the skull crushed and almost flattened. We thought maybe they were killing and trying to swallow the bait headfirst.
Ferox caught on roach would almost always be caught on the flying treble at the tail (disabling the bait)? Or a big fish would just engulf it. Trout and salmon smolts were taken mostly in the middle and would normally be hooked on the front treble.
I'm sure predators take different baits in different ways.
Very interesting stuff :thumbs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Steve Hincks wrote: ↑Tue Oct 23 2018 18:13 -

Would you say you use perch more than other colours?
A good mixture to be honest Steve, roach and chub have been doing really well but I have two almost 1 day old Perch with tails bitten off in the same place and then when I have looked at some of my old dead replicants I would say 80% are Perch :scratch:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Carlperkins wrote: ↑Tue Oct 23 2018 18:41 -
I have also done well on Perch live baits :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Woodchucker wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24 2018 09:57 -
It's the human thinking.....spines hurt.

Ever watch a giraffe eating stuff with 3" thorns? Don't bother it one bit
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Jimk2 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 23 2018 17:17 -
Love a bit of trolling. This is a slick pattern minus a tail.

607CB8C1-40E5-4F3F-AA7A-5598C911152E.jpeg
:thumbs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24 2018 11:43 -
Woodchucker wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24 2018 09:57 -
It's the human thinking.....spines hurt.

Ever watch a giraffe eating stuff with 3" thorns? Don't bother it one bit
You are probably right Kev, just me overthinking it I guess :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

This is what to use to nobble the short strikers.
IMG_1493.JPG
A Gamakatsu hook design called a Twinex Treble Stinger ( not made by Owner as I originally posted).
Mustad make a similar hook but I think they call it a Ryder double hook.

I have caught more big Zander on live Perch than any other bait, always taken head first as you'd expect.

Martin, can you explain your method of melting and moulding redundant plastics please?

Edited to correct hook manufacturer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike J on Fri Oct 26 2018 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Mike J wrote: ↑Wed Oct 24 2018 14:09 -
This is what to use to nobble the short strikers.
IMG_1493.JPG

A Owner hook design that used to be called a Stinger now I think the name has been given to a basic treble.
Mustad make a similar hook but I think they call it a Ryder double hook.

I have caught more big Zander on live Perch than any other bait, always taken head first as you'd expect.

Martin, can you explain your method of melting and moulding redundant plastics please?
Cheers Mike :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I think we've all thought that at some time. But I doubt a pike has. I've never seen anything to suggest pike take perch in any way different to other bait fish, whether that's perch patterned lures or when using them as lives or deads. In fact, perch lives are really excellent little baits. Zander obviously have a few nasty spines and pike happily mash them up as well, size permitting. Interesting question mind :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I remember when we first used perch years ago we cut the spines off 🀒
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Thu Oct 25 2018 19:19 -

I think we've all thought that at some time. But I doubt a pike has. I've never seen anything to suggest pike take perch in any way different to other bait fish, whether that's perch patterned lures or when using them as lives or deads. In fact, perch lives are really excellent little baits. Zander obviously have a few nasty spines and pike happily mash them up as well, size permitting. Interesting question mind :thumbs:
Cheers Mark :thumbs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Carlperkins wrote: ↑Thu Oct 25 2018 20:43 -
I remember when we first used perch years ago we cut the spines off 🀒
I have heard this before, probably for the reason of the thread but like most I have caught plenty of Pike and Perch on Perch live baits. :thumbs:
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

The British record brown trout (ferox) had three 9inch perch in it.

Great baits spines or no spines. :grin:
IMG-20170217-WA0007.jpg

FEROX 85 GROUP
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 26 2018 21:51 -
The British record brown trout (ferox) had three 9inch perch in it.

Great baits spines or no spines. :grin:

IMG-20170217-WA0007.jpg
:thumbs:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Melting waste plastic requires a cheap pan and over a gas burner in an open garage. Try not to breath the fumes. Pour into mould when liquid leave to set simple.
Happy to be alive!!!!
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Are you getting this happening with perch reps from waters all around the country? What I'm getting at is do the fish have similar head sizes? I fish a couple lakes that are close to each other but the pike in one have small heads, and in the other they have huge heads. I have more repairs to do to soft plastics when fishing the small-heads water, and it seems to be that the pike often have the lure hooked towards the front of the mouth. The big headed ones take them in easily and there's less damage to the lures I find.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

andrew_nagel wrote: ↑Mon Oct 29 2018 20:39 -
Are you getting this happening with perch reps from waters all around the country? What I'm getting at is do the fish have similar head sizes? I fish a couple lakes that are close to each other but the pike in one have small heads, and in the other they have huge heads. I have more repairs to do to soft plastics when fishing the small-heads water, and it seems to be that the pike often have the lure hooked towards the front of the mouth. The big headed ones take them in easily and there's less damage to the lures I find.
Interesting stuff Andrew, its happened on a few rivers to be honest so it could just be down to trolling rather than casting because I retrieve Replicants with a jerky retrieve so it would be hard for a fish to target a specific part of the lure and usually engulf the lot. I suppose it could just be jacks grabbing hold of the tail and when I strike the tail is g=just gone but interesting all the same. :point:
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Nice to see you back Woody,
I'll send you a perch pattern fly if you want, they definitely won't bite the tail off that!! :thumbs:

Regarding the spines, I would bet that the average sized fish, (not presented baits) including perch are swallowed whole at the best of times, and don't even touch the sides before entering the gullet.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

nigel savage wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12 2018 23:40 -
Nice to see you back Woody,
I'll send you a perch pattern fly if you want, they definitely won't bite the tail off that!! :thumbs:

Regarding the spines, I would bet that the average sized fish, (not presented baits) including perch are swallowed whole at the best of times, and don't even touch the sides before entering the gullet.
Its nice to be back Nigel, and I am pretty sure you are right on this one :thumbs:
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

I have seen alot off perch during the summer floating in a lake i fish for pike with their heads mangled this lake has alot off trout in it about 3000 stockies every year pike grow fast in this lake.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Any big wild brownies in it. ❓

FEROX 85 GROUP
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023