Rugen

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Rugen

Post by Woodchucker »

There are certain waters as a Pike angler that you want to try. Waters like Chew, Lomand, Derg, Corrib, Windermere and Deggy are all waters that have and could do really big Pike and I have been lucky enough to fish them all but next week I will chalk another water off that gets the old ticker pumping that little bit quicker. Next week I have 5 guided days on Rugen with the lads at Leech. Its average depth is around 12ft so ideal if like me you like to chuck a bit of wood and plastic around. Wish me luck :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Re: Rugen

Post by andrew_nagel »

I fish Rugen. The guides there are very conservative in their approach. Most fish 6" shads (lunker city shakers) on jig heads and fish the bottom along the edges of the shipping lanes. It's effective but wide open for approaching differently too. Make sure you have a couple of banker lures that will work very shallow too - like in 2' or less. IMO the guides are stuck in a rut of taking clients to the same spots and the same approach day in day out and have been doing this for years. I take my own boat so fish the areas I choose. There are big fish coming from very shallow water too. It's a fluff-chucker's dream. It's just not the guide boats catching these very shallow fish so the photos are not plastered all over the net. It's not a place of lots of fish but they are very hard fighting, hit very hard and fast, and have the most beautiful markings and skin sheen that you only find in brackish pike. Rinse your reels in fresh water each evening too.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Thanks for that Nigel, The Leech guys fish it from their own boats and they are of the same opinion as you when it comes to the local guides. Christian Sill is the guide we will be using, he is the only guide the lads from Leech trust and the one that helped them with Fly vs Jerk last year. But thanks for the advice on the shallow lures, much appreciated.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Nigel who?
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

andrew_nagel wrote: Thu Nov 22 2018 17:25 -
Nigel who?
Sorry Andrew, I was on the phone to a Nigel at the same time :point:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Being a bloke you should know better than to try and multitask :laughs: :laughs:

Will.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Nov 22 2018 19:11 -
Being a bloke you should know better than to try and multitask :laughs: :laughs:

Will.
:laughs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Nov 22 2018 19:11 -

Will.
I struggle to do one thing let alone two :laughs:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Good luck, some epic vids on YouTube of this place, make sure you give it a good old British thrashing!
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

I thought you were out there last year mate, or didn’t you make it?
John O Grady
Perch
Perch

Post by John O Grady »

Fished there last spring, as Andrew said its generally a mixture of shipping lanes round 12-15ft and shallow water. Its a hell of an exciting place to fish, a lot of follows and always the chance of a real big fish! What they say about it is true blue and white soft lures work very very well. Dress warm even if it doesn't seem that cold on land, they don't call it the Baltic for nothing!!
r0bert
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by r0bert »

Big zalt in the blue pattern is super on the baltic - caught bugger all on it anywhere else!
daveesox
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by daveesox »

Trip of a lifetime, good luck ady
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Danoutdoors wrote: Fri Nov 23 2018 19:21 -
Good luck, some epic vids on YouTube of this place, make sure you give it a good old British thrashing!
I will try my very best Dan :thumbs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Ian Crook wrote: Fri Nov 23 2018 23:16 -
Didn't make it last year but me and Matt Boast are going together so hopefully we will catch a few :thumbs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

daveesox wrote: Mon Nov 26 2018 10:13 -
Trip of a lifetime, good luck ady
Cheers Dave :thumbs:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Woodchucker wrote: Mon Nov 26 2018 10:30 -
Didn't make it last year but me and Matt Boast are going together so hopefully we will catch a few :thumbs:
I know, I’ve warned Matt about your Yorkshireness! He will make sure you visit the bar from time to time :boing:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Ian Crook wrote: Mon Nov 26 2018 20:59 -
Woodchucker wrote: Mon Nov 26 2018 10:30 -
I know, I’ve warned Matt about your Yorkshireness! He will make sure you visit the bar from time to time :boing:
Cheers Crooky :laughs:
norfolkcarl
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by norfolkcarl »

Good luck, I make an annual trip to rugen island each Jan or Feb had some very special fishing and fish. Generally lure colour is key in the baltic, make sure you have some rubber in motoroil, pearel blue
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

norfolkcarl wrote: Wed Nov 28 2018 23:06 -
Good luck, I make an annual trip to rugen island each Jan or Feb had some very special fishing and fish. Generally lure colour is key in the baltic, make sure you have some rubber in motoroil, pearel blue
Tell us more, please! Since this post I've watched few vids, I want!

Ian
You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms or birds
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

It's hard fished - make no mistake of that. The guide boats, and there's lots of them, are going out everyday other than the closed season. It will never be completely fished out as there are many conservation areas that the netters are not allowed to net, and that no boats are even allowed to sail in. There's also new fish coming into the area from the open Baltic. The real untapped opportunity is the open water trolling that the guides don't bother with because it takes too much motoring time to get out into the open Baltic, and if they are taking customers out that far to troll then they target the salmon.
If you go to fish the Bodden (the inner bays) then take your own boat. The guide boats tend to do 8 hour days are coming in before the end of the day unless you fish winter when the 8 hours covers dawn to dark. If you go with a guide in winter arrange for them to be flexible and to work with trying areas you want to try. You see the same boats going to the same spots day in day out, just with different customers each day. The obvious areas where major boat lanes join get hammered by the guide boats. They catch fish, but there's less pressured fishing if you do your own thing. Make sure you have the correct licenses and carry your passport with you in the boat. The Sea Police stop and check you - sometimes more than once a day! If you take your own boat you need a speed boat license. My Danish speed boat license covers me, as does my Danish State rod license, but I still need to buy a permit and the permits are different for casting or trolling. There's no trolling allowed in the shipping lanes or Bodden, so unless you plan to motor out on to the open Baltic you won't need a trolling license. Don't get your collar felt by the Sea Police going into 'off-limits' conservation areas - the guides will grass you up - it's Germany and everyone expects everything done according to the rules. The Lowrance map charts for my GPS have the conservation areas marked so it's clear where you can and can't go. Step outside the rules and you're fecked. Claiming to not understand the rules - you're still fecked. :thumbs:
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

Thanks Andrew. Fished Vastervick over 10 years ago and really enjoyed the experience. Not disimiliar to my fishing here. And like you say, I brought my own boat.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Fordey wrote: Fri Nov 30 2018 13:17 -
Thanks Andrew. Fished Vastervick over 10 years ago and really enjoyed the experience. Not disimiliar to my fishing here. And like you say, I brought my own boat.
What a Pike fishing venue and what Andrew has said above is pretty much spot on. We fished with top Bidden guides and the best fish was 22lbs but when you see the pictures of the Pike they have had to the boat it defiantly makes you heart skip a beat when you get a take. Nothing bigger than 15lbs for me but an amazing experience for any pike angler. I will be doing a video and explain more in that :thumbs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

norfolkcarl wrote: Wed Nov 28 2018 23:06 -
I wish I read this before I left :laughs: still an amazing place :thumbs:
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

Woodchucker wrote: Tue Dec 11 2018 15:08 -
What a Pike fishing venue and what Andrew has said above is pretty much spot on. We fished with top Bidden guides and the best fish was 22lbs but when you see the pictures of the Pike they have had to the boat it defiantly makes you heart skip a beat when you get a take. Nothing bigger than 15lbs for me but an amazing experience for any pike angler. I will be doing a video and explain more in that :thumbs:
Look forward to that!
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Fordey wrote: Tue Dec 11 2018 18:36 -
Woodchucker wrote: Tue Dec 11 2018 15:08 -
Look forward to that!
:thumbs: