Where to start

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
maritimesbob
Stickleback
Stickleback

Where to start

Post by maritimesbob »

Hi all,

I'm a Brit, who just recently moved to the Netherlands. I've been a coarse fisherman for many years in the UK, mostly fishing for Tench and silvers. But I have also tried my hand at predator fishing for pike and perch, with lures and spinners.

Now I am in the Netherlands I see all this water and think, wow there must be some awesome pike, zander and perch to be had. With the expanse of canals and open water it would be rude not to try lure fishing.

I went to a fishing fair this morning and picked up a nice lure rod, reel and a specimen net.

I want to try a range of fishing, from good old spinners and spoons, to plastic lures such as rapalas. But, I'm also interested in newer methods such as jigging.

I have the main gear, rod, reels, lines, traces, forceps, mat, net etc. I am looking for suggestions for a collection of lures and similar just to put on my tackle box and get me started.

My target is small to medium size pike, zander and perch.

Advice is appreciated, thank you.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Re: Where to start

Post by Ratty46 »

have a look at the soft plastics range from spro, fox rage, kietech etc theres so many brands, or head to a tackle shop, i believe they sell lures in singles, not a bad way to stock up, lure pick n mix!

you cant really go worng with a few softies in various sizes, whereabouts in NL are you, im very jealous! something i want to do at somepoint and move out there.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Do they have their own version of the Pike Anglers Club?

(I'd establish contact with the locals and start grooming face)
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

Get stuck into youtube for a few ideas;https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... etherlands
For pike,start with a few buster jerks and a few different softs,pig shad or mc rubber etc.
CarpRboring!
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by CarpRboring! »

Recommended lures for Pike and other predators(Some of my favourites): Savage gear 4play liplure and lowrider(Pike, Perch, Chub), savage gear line thru trout(Pike), relax kopyto shads(Perch, Pike, Zander and Chub) , fox rage spikey fry(Perch and Zander), fox rage micro replicant(Pike and Perch) and Rapala jointed shad rap(Pike, Perch, Chub, Trout and Zander).

These have caught and continue to catch me countless Pike, Perch, Zander, Chub and Trout.
To blank or not to blank, that is the question.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Dave Horton wrote: Tue Dec 04 2018 11:14 -
Do they have their own version of the Pike Anglers Club?

(I'd establish contact with the locals and start grooming face)
https://www.snoekstudiegroep.nl/ :grin:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Where in Holland are you based?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Bob,
Start anywhere there is water.
I had a very good friend who used to catch pike (surface lures) at night from the canals in A'dam, he and a few of his collegues used to wear their Mil gear so if your around there at night keep your eyes open and you may see them. His fish were not huge but he certainly caught plenty.
He also fished for Perch (shads and stingers) and some of the fish he caught would blow your mind, 5-6 pounders easily, but as you've already gathered Dutchies don't weight their fish so I would just see the pics and lengths, and drawl!
His fav sport was luring from a kayak on the huge water areas of water out there targeting pike and Ide. He made his own lures for both of us, mega sized swerver divers, together we imported gear from from all over and he even managed to get us support from a top reel manufacturer.
He passed away following a tour in A'stan, and even now its hard to recount our time together without sadness.

The number of really good lure anglers out there far exceeds what Ive seen here, learn fishing language, ask questions, they are a friendly enough bunch, listen, learn, drink a few beers and a scotch or two, and you will comback a master for sure.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus