Page 1 of 1

Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 06 2019 18:26
by andypee
Hi all, looking for some advice please !

I will be lure fishing a venue soon that has quite a bit of weed in a few areas, nothing so dennse you cant fish it though, I've tried with my normal lures in these areas before, but it became apparent it was just to weedy to fish them correctly as they were getting buried up in the weed as soon as they went into it.

However I'm sure the pike won't be far from these certain areas so I would like to ask advice on the weedless style lures and what make and style would be a good purchase to start with ?

I'm fishing a heavy jerk bait setup so would think lures of 4" upwards ?

If you could post pics of said lures and how they are rigged it would be much appreciated :thumbs:

I'm hoping that when a few of these lures are pulled through the weed they will get hit !! HARD :bounce:

Cheers as always :cheers:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 06 2019 19:18
by Stewlaws
Heddon moss boss.....caught well for me when I fished shaggy patches of Lillie's

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 06 2019 19:47
by Steve Moore
Spinnerbait

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 06 2019 19:55
by davelumb
Floating Burts and Suicks dived down to the top of/just into the weed? A lot depends on the type of weed though.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Mon Jan 07 2019 09:08
by Martin Ward P.A.C.
There are lots of options Andy, Spinnerbats to a point, weedless spoons, weedless jig heads (the ones with a spring wire protecting the point) etc. Take a look on You Tube at the Texas and Carolina rigs. Not used too often in the UK but as is often the case we are behind the game. Some of the wide gap hooks have lead on the gape which hangs below the, generally you need slim profile collapsable shads, the ones with the recess in the top are popular but there are also hollow (or at least not solid) shads that wil allow the shad to collapse for better hook ups..... Google these things and you will see plenty on the net.

https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/products/c ... ig-diagram

Some of the other sites have diagrams of how these things work as well....but use Google, Type in Carolina and Texas rigs and enjoy

Martin

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Mon Jan 07 2019 13:11
by Steve Dennington
Steve Moore wrote:
Spinnerbait
If the type of weed allows fishing through it, spinnerbaits would be my first choice too :thumbs:

If it's the horrible claggy stuff that gums up the blade, there isn't much that will get in there and work effectively. Even weedless soft plastics won't cut it, as it gathers on the leader connection and clip.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Mon Jan 07 2019 16:39
by Mark_Houghton
+1 for spinnerbaits too. I`ve found willow blades work through weedstalks better than fatter profile blades :thumbs:

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Mon Jan 07 2019 21:08
by andypee
Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote:
There are lots of options Andy, Spinnerbats to a point, weedless spoons, weedless jig heads (the ones with a spring wire protecting the point) etc. Take a look on You Tube at the Texas and Carolina rigs. Not used too often in the UK but as is often the case we are behind the game. Some of the wide gap hooks have lead on the gape which hangs below the, generally you need slim profile collapsable shads, the ones with the recess in the top are popular but there are also hollow (or at least not solid) shads that wil allow the shad to collapse for better hook ups..... Google these things and you will see plenty on the net.

https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/products/c ... ig-diagram

Some of the other sites have diagrams of how these things work as well....but use Google, Type in Carolina and Texas rigs and enjoy

Martin
I think I will have a look on the tube as you suggest, good advice, will have a look at what the other guys have suggested aswell, hopefully be some videos on them all :thumbs:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Mon Jan 07 2019 21:42
by Mike J
On the only time I was allowed to fish a certain place I used the largest of SG ducklings over dense weed for a single summer, using the largest of the lures they didn't collect any weed unless it was loose on the surface and didnt bring me a pike either (and I tried all three colours).

In offshore trolling certain lures have a great reputation of ridding themselves of loose debris and weed and are sometimes referred to as 'weedshakers', the Braid Maruader being one, a deepish diver with a violent action compared to most pike lures, often thought about giving one a pull in somewhere weedy, like, err, chewdon?

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Mon Jan 07 2019 22:40
by Watty
Get yourself some 6 inch Z-man swimmerz and EWG hooks to suit. There are weighted EWG hooks as well if you need to get down or add weight to your trace or via hook eye. These are as flexible a lure as you can get so it’s easy to drive the hook home. They are also indestructible. Pike love them.
770C271E-3C02-43DA-9E24-BBFCBD66DE20.jpeg

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Tue Jan 08 2019 06:41
by andypee
Watty wrote:
Get yourself some 6 inch Z-man swimmerz and EWG hooks to suit. There are weighted EWG hooks as well if you need to get down or add weight to your trace or via hook eye. These are as flexible a lure as you can get so it’s easy to drive the hook home. They are also indestructible. Pike love them.
770C271E-3C02-43DA-9E24-BBFCBD66DE20.jpeg
Ahhh very interesting I will be looking them up :thumbs:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Tue Jan 08 2019 06:42
by andypee
Mike J wrote:
On the only time I was allowed to fish a certain place I used the largest of SG ducklings over dense weed for a single summer, using the largest of the lures they didn't collect any weed unless it was loose on the surface and didnt bring me a pike either (and I tried all three colours).

In offshore trolling certain lures have a great reputation of ridding themselves of loose debris and weed and are sometimes referred to as 'weedshakers', the Braid Maruader being one, a deepish diver with a violent action compared to most pike lures, often thought about giving one a pull in somewhere weedy, like, err, chewdon?
Weedshakers, see if I can find them, good info :thumbs:

So have you ever caught on the surface ducks ?

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Tue Jan 08 2019 07:13
by Mike J
andypee wrote:
Mike J wrote:
On the only time I was allowed to fish a certain place I used the largest of SG ducklings over dense weed for a single summer, using the largest of the lures they didn't collect any weed unless it was loose on the surface and didnt bring me a pike either (and I tried all three colours).

In offshore trolling certain lures have a great reputation of ridding themselves of loose debris and weed and are sometimes referred to as 'weedshakers', the Braid Maruader being one, a deepish diver with a violent action compared to most pike lures, often thought about giving one a pull in somewhere weedy, like, err, chewdon?
Weedshakers, see if I can find them, good info :thumbs:

So have you ever caught on the surface ducks ?

Andy.


No, never.
But they caught me alright.
Make me an offer and you can have all three, unbitten and with their packages.

Also got some Braids if you like.



??? A softie lure a pike cannot destroy, that I must see.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Tue Jan 08 2019 10:29
by Woodchucker
Try the shallow Buster Jerks and Wolf Tails they only fish down around 12-18" and perfect for fishing over weed :thumbs:

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Tue Jan 08 2019 15:10
by andypee
Woodchucker wrote:
Try the shallow Buster Jerks and Wolf Tails they only fish down around 12-18" and perfect for fishing over weed :thumbs:
Have you got any your selling I could try ? Cheap :laughs:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Thu Jan 10 2019 15:23
by spittlebug
Hi, Z-Man Plastics seem very very tough & Float (after salt is got out).
Nothing like a normal plastic Lure, different League.
I'm converted, only got Perch ones at moment.
Mainly Ned rig ones, but got some StreakZ Curly TailZ (4" but a angler i know gets plenty of Perch & Pike on them).


Bob

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Thu Jan 10 2019 22:47
by Mark Phillips
Frogzilla, over heavy weed/pads. 100% weedless, decent size, good hook up rate and pike will come at them from good distances. Easily the best surface lure through weed that you can use. Else, weedless jigs are a decent option to hop in and out of pockets. Spinnerbaits are effective, but will get jammed up in really thick stuff. Grinders and Rad Dogs of 2oz plus are what I use. You can also rip pull baits through weed on a heavy set-up, so Burts and Big Daddies are good for that. One of my favourite lures for fishing through patchy weed, is actually an 8" straight depthraider - fished aggressively, you can really rip them through sparser weed, they don't easily get caught up and the buoyancy really helps them quickly back up in the water column. bigger Crankbaits are massively underrated lures IMO, they're not just for trolling! Personally, I don't tend to worry about getting too deep into the green stuff, rather use a lure to bring the pike out of it. I've had pike belt out of weed and charge lures down from 20 yards away - amazing to see it and one of those things that makes lure fishing such a buzz.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Fri Jan 11 2019 04:22
by andypee
spittlebug wrote:
Hi, Z-Man Plastics seem very very tough & Float (after salt is got out).
Nothing like a normal plastic Lure, different League.
I'm converted, only got Perch ones at moment.
Mainly Ned rig ones, but got some StreakZ Curly TailZ (4" but a angler i know gets plenty of Perch & Pike on them).


Bob
Will take a look :thumbs:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Fri Jan 11 2019 04:25
by andypee
Mark Phillips wrote:
Frogzilla, over heavy weed/pads. 100% weedless, decent size, good hook up rate and pike will come at them from good distances. Easily the best surface lure through weed that you can use. Else, weedless jigs are a decent option to hop in and out of pockets. Spinnerbaits are effective, but will get jammed up in really thick stuff. Grinders and Rad Dogs of 2oz plus are what I use. You can also rip pull baits through weed on a heavy set-up, so Burts and Big Daddies are good for that. One of my favourite lures for fishing through patchy weed, is actually an 8" straight depthraider - fished aggressively, you can really rip them through sparser weed, they don't easily get caught up and the buoyancy really helps them quickly back up in the water column. bigger Crankbaits are massively underrated lures IMO, they're not just for trolling! Personally, I don't tend to worry about getting too deep into the green stuff, rather use a lure to bring the pike out of it. I've had pike belt out of weed and charge lures down from 20 yards away - amazing to see it and one of those things that makes lure fishing such a buzz.
Good info Mark :thumbs: like the sound of trying some of those you suggest, I'm pretty sure the pike will be around the area so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something will have a go !!

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sat Jan 12 2019 17:57
by Mark Phillips
Cheers Andy. Tight lines mate!

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 13 2019 17:00
by Monts
MH knocked me up a couple of these recently.
MH Sniper.JPG
I've had some good sport after Christmas with them, they run shallow with a wide wobble. But on a faster retrieve, they get down a bit, stop and pause them. Twitch etc and just play about. A really good fun lure to use, I'm sure they will draw your fish.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 13 2019 17:13
by andypee
Monts wrote:
MH knocked me up a couple of these recently.

MH Sniper.JPG

I've had some good sport after Christmas with them, they run shallow with a wide wobble. But on a faster retrieve, they get down a bit, stop and pause them. Twitch etc and just play about. A really good fun lure to use, I'm sure they will draw your fish.
They look good, what kind of price are they ? :shrug:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 13 2019 17:33
by Monts
andypee wrote:
Monts wrote:
MH knocked me up a couple of these recently.

MH Sniper.JPG

I've had some good sport after Christmas with them, they run shallow with a wide wobble. But on a faster retrieve, they get down a bit, stop and pause them. Twitch etc and just play about. A really good fun lure to use, I'm sure they will draw your fish.
They look good, what kind of price are they ? :shrug:

Andy.
With registered post and packaging £28.00 mate for the pair.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Sun Jan 20 2019 09:28
by CraigG
If you're looking for a shad style bait. Check out the hidehook. Lure lounge sold them. Really good weedless lure and quite an innovative single hook design

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Wed Jan 23 2019 03:59
by Burt
Spinnerbaits are winnerbaits! Sure it was John Wilson who said that?
Sure I’m not the first but I’ve taken the muppety skirt things off of some of mine (can’t remember the name of em) and replaced em with shads. I love em and the pike down my local pit seem to like em as well and good in all but the thickest of stuff!
Definitely a dabbler when it comes to lures but these will probably be the first thing I chuck in most situations.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Fri Jan 25 2019 09:30
by peteren
Burt wrote:
Spinnerbaits are winnerbaits! Sure it was John Wilson who said that?
Sure I’m not the first but I’ve taken the muppety skirt things off of some of mine (can’t remember the name of em) and replaced em with shads. I love em and the pike down my local pit seem to like em as well and good in all but the thickest of stuff!
Definitely a dabbler when it comes to lures but these will probably be the first thing I chuck in most situations.
Agree on spinnerbaits, and with shads or grubs.

? Hookups with yours in pic, with so little hook exposed?

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Fri Jan 25 2019 13:32
by Burt
Worried a bit about that myself but two out of two so far on that very one. Use the headless shads as well which obviously leaves the hook a bit further back its just that one happened to be to hand, dont think I've missed a take since using em unlike the bait rods last time out 😡

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Tue Feb 05 2019 19:20
by andypee
Good advice guys :thumbs:

I will be heading to the shops soon to see what's available :thumbs:

Andy.

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Posted: Wed Feb 06 2019 09:52
by peteren
andypee wrote:
Good advice guys :thumbs:

I will be heading to the shops soon to see what's available :thumbs:

Andy.
Good luck with that - but sadly few shops offer anything like the online range - though it's better to see "in the flesh".

And I live near one of the best - Andy Lush's Friendley Fisherman in Tunbridge Wells.